Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Fahad Academy

• 16-04-2008 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Any opinions on the King Fahad school case in the UK? It was shocking what was in the text books. The school itself appear to be dodging any questions, and the British authorities seem annoyed the guy took the case, they just want it to go away. I read another school in Germany was closed a few year ago for similar reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Isn't it a Saudi school? They really shouldn't allow a foreign school like that to operate. The books they have there are certainly terrible.

Having said that, the Saudi's pretty escape any and all criticism, due to there oil reserves and for playing ball with the Anglo/American axis. This is just another example of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

wes wrote: »
    Isn't it a Saudi school? They really shouldn't allow a foreign school like that to operate. The books they have there are certainly terrible.

u can find a lot foreign schools (American/British/..etc) in Saudi & the other arab countries... so why do u think they should not allow to have foreign schools (Saudi/India/..etc) in UK ?

mmalaka wrote: »
    u can find a lot foreign schools (American/British/..etc) in Saudi & the other arab countries... so why do u think they should not allow to have foreign schools (Saudi/India/..etc) in UK ?

Why, have them at all? If you going to live in a foreign country you should send your kids to a regular school. The only reason I could see for having such a school is if the family is only staying in the country for a short period and don't want to interrupt there kids education.

wes wrote: »
    Why, have them at all? If you going to live in a foreign country you should send your kids to a regular school. The only reason I could see for having such a school is if the family is only staying in the country for a short period and don't want to interrupt there kids education.

I see ur point but still they can use these schools to teach kids the language, Cultural , religion...etc
    even If I am planning to stay in foregn country I would like to keep my kids connected to my Cultural

There are Muslim religious schools in the UK, so that part is already covered, why do they need to transplant an entire curriculum?

• Advertisement

Do expect from American/Irish/...etc who live in Dubai and would work there for 10+ years to send his kids to a local school where everyone communicate in Arabic?

Do expect from American/Irish/...etc who live in Dubai and would work there for 10+ years to send his kids to a local school where everyone communicate in Arabic?

Wouldn't it make more sense for there kids to learn the language of the country they are going to live in? I would expect people who go to live for extended periods in foreign countries to make an effort to learn the local language. This goes for everyone imo.

for sure it would be good to learn the language of the country but still I think it is important to stay connected with the origion language, Cultural ,...etc. otherwise the father would be Irish and the kids would be Saudi...

If you move to foreign country you have to make an effort to integrate. That means learning the language etc. You can still maintain your culture while living in a foreign country, but you have to adapt to fit in with societal norms. This goes both way, for people who move from Ireland or people who come in.

the integration is important I agree with u in this, but it should not lead to a complete transformation.

I think it is good idea to have these schools in any country and the people would have the choice to join them. for example an Irish family would be living in a country where the eduaction is not good as the education in Ireland so it will be good option for them to send the kids to Irish school..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

Nobody has any problem with foreign language schools- in case you had forgotten, we already have them here- IN IRISH- as English IS NOT the only official language of the Island.

But the content of the IRISH language Curriculum is identical and doesn't say anything about killing non-Irish speakers.

Don't muddy the waters buddy- you are being deliberately obtuse- maybe a ban would sort you out.

the integration is important I agree with u in this, but it should not lead to a complete transformation.

I think it is good idea to have these schools in any country and the people would have the choice to join them. for example an Irish family would be living in a country where the eduaction is not good as the education in Ireland so it will be good option for them to send the kids to Irish school..

Yes......but the language is not the issue. The Curriculum and the content is what is at issue.

Maths through the medium of Arabic is fine.

Terror and racism thru the medium of Arabic under the pretenses that it is just education IS NOT

Nobody has any problem with foreign language schools- in case you had forgotten, we already have them here- IN IRISH- as English IS NOT the only official language of the Island.

But the content of the IRISH language Curriculum is identical and doesn't say anything about killing non-Irish speakers.

Don't muddy the waters buddy- you are being deliberately obtuse- maybe a ban would sort you out.

r u saying that the arabic/Indians/..etc schools teach to kill non-arabic/non-indians..etc speakers? do u want to ban me for saying it is ok to have forgin schools??

Terror and racism thru the medium of Arabic under the pretenses that it is just education IS NOT

Terror and racism can be learned in different languages not only in Arabic

r u saying that the arabic/Indians/..etc schools teach to kill non-arabic/non-indians..etc speakers? do u want to ban me for saying it is ok to have forgin schools??

This is a joke, right??

I already said that foreign language schools, schools for foreign kids etc were alright.

We have lots of them in Ireland already.

What I said was that the CURRICULUM must conform with normal HUMANE standards and NOT, thats right, NOT be in contravention of the law of the land in which the school exists.

IS THAT CLEAR???

Terror and racism can be learned in different languages not only in Arabic

Waaaaaay to miss the point.

The problem is not with the langauge. Its with the content of the Curriculum.

I don't care if they are teaching Applied Sufiism through the medium of Farsi- so long as the curriculum does not contain material offensive to the norms and standards of the land in which the school exists.

There are Irish Schools here that use Irish and use it to teach ENGLISH through the medium of Irish. The German School, ironically in Clonskeagh, does the exact same. Kids are taught English through their native tongue. They break no rules and conform to thelaw of the land.

If there is an English language school for Christians in Saudi and that school is teaching history which suggests that all Arabs are paedophiles and that Mecca should be burned then that school should {and will, I think you'll find] be closed.

Same rules for the foreign school in Ireland.

ok Now i got ur point, and it is valid point I agree with u, I know the Curriculum of some of the Arabic countries like Jordan for example (I think not a big different than Saudi Curriculum) and I do not think i contain contain material offensive to the norms and standards of any land

ok Now i got ur point, and it is valid point I agree with u, I know the Curriculum of some of the Arabic countries like Jordan for example (I think not a big different than Saudi Curriculum) and I do not think i contain contain material offensive to the norms and standards of any land

Okay then.....if mathematics is taught through Arabic then fine. If English is taught through Arabic then fine. But if only Islam is taught thru Arabic and the version taught is extremist, then we have a problem. If No English is taught and no math is taught but only a warped historical perspective is taught, then we have a problem.

Each case will turn on its own facts. Each case will have merits and de-merits. Therefore cases have to be dealt with individually. Just because the Bonn school is bad then that doesn't mean all of them are.

But where they are, then they should be closed. If offensive material is found, they should be closed. If there is genuinely nothing going on, they should be left open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Okay then.....if mathematics is taught through Arabic then fine. If English is taught through Arabic then fine. But if only Islam is taught thru Arabic and the version taught is extremist, then we have a problem. If No English is taught and no math is taught but only a warped historical perspective is taught, then we have a problem.

Agree with most except the last part (not the extremist part). Depends really on the school. Most of these schools are for expats who have no long term plans of integration.

To non-nationals certain aspects of teaching can seem alien or backward regardless of the country. For example subjecting my son to Korean school system is one of the main reasons I have no plans to live in Korea.

As for history classes, sadly these are warped to the related country regardless of where you come from. Being in school in UK/Ireland I got a clear picture of this when it came to UK+Irelands history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Hero Of College, you don't know me as I've been away for a while. You are welcome to the Islam forum.

However, I should tell you that you were out of line in this thread. mmalaka didn't once mention that he thought it was okay to teach kids to kill non-Irish speakers. He was having an innocent discussion with wes about whether or not it was a good idea to have foreign language schools.

You seem overly aggressive and I would suggest that you calm down and not be so aggressive. I think you'll find that people here know me to be one of the more lenient moderators here but I won't overlook my duty. Leave the decisions on banning to moderators and don't put words in peoples' mouths (posts).

• Advertisement
Advertisement