Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website design & Development - Costing?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am looking to start a new website, but since I do not have the time or knowledge I will have to get someone to make it for me. There will be quite a bit in it. So far I have only had one quote of €60 per hour.

I cant really divulge the content of the website as it will be a new company. Can anyone give me advice on costs of design and development?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

I cant really divulge the content of the website

Might be tricky to price without knowing what's involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This question is asked about once a week here, if you do a search here you will get a good few answers but if you haven't a clue about web design and are going to employ someone to do it to a professional standard your looking at minimum €500 up to as big as you budget will allow.

Web design and its prices have dropped dramatically and quality improved hugely in the last couple of years but if I was you I’d go to a developer and if your budget is €1,000 ask them what they will do for this €1,000. You should get hosting, emails, design depends on the developer. Larger design houses will charge larger amounts because they have larger expenses.

Work out a deal and see what you’re paying for and get it in a email or writing so you can research what you’re paying for. Don’t be confused by the mysql, cms, php, dynamic, static, seo “techie talk”.

If your going down the hourly rate a lot depends on you and how well you can communicate with the developer and remember there’s a lot of crap out there done by so called professional web developers so maybe paying a person €60 an hour to analyse your requirements before going to a web designer may be a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks for that, your right about paying for the job rather than by the hour. Would you (or anyone) have any recomendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

€60 an hour is cheap for web development.
    But as someone said above, get a price for the job, not by the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My 2c worth. Get a detailed quote on what you want.
    Break it into categories

Absolutely Essential
    Maybe next year
    Nice to have
    Can't afford it but if I could ....

In all honesty saying "I need a website" could run anywhere from €1k to €20K depending on what you want or need. I think a final price is a much better approach than hourly rates. Piece rate also forces people to a fixed agreed price. As for a company I would suggest that Google is your friend and then check what work companies have done to see if it matches up.

Incidentally if you haven't looked already check out your local enterprise board/council who may provide some funding for web sites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

is_that_so wrote: »
    My 2c worth. Get a detailed quote on what you want.
    Break it into categories

Absolutely Essential
    Maybe next year
    Nice to have
    Can't afford it but if I could ....

aka Project Requirements Management - MoSCoW Rules:
    Must haves
    Should haves
    Could haves
    Would like to haves
    is_that_so wrote: »
    In all honesty saying "I need a website" could run anywhere from €1k to €20K depending on what you want or need. I think a final price is a much better approach than hourly rates. Piece rate also forces people to a fixed agreed price. As for a company I would suggest that Google is your friend and then check what work companies have done to see if it matches up.
    Hourly rates more apply to longer more open-ended jobs or jobs with updates. For a plain ole vanilla website, they're a bad idea. The developer should know their price for a website which is so big, has xyz features and will be developed to such and such a plan (simple example, 2 grand for 50 ish page site with basic ecomm: no identity/logo, draft 1, redraft, templating, content dev, feature dev, seo dev, deploy and snag)

Be careful with prices. The time you spend on the job costs you more than you think. That grand you saved by going to company X, can easily go down the drain if you have to spend 5 extra hours dealing with that company and the site is week late (lost sales) than you would have if you spent that extra grand with company Y.

It can be difficult to figure out which companies offer good value for money. I suggest either get some recommendations from your business network contacts or you check out some similar sites to what you're looking for and ask for a quick chat with someone involved and ask them a few questions: how much? on time? would you recommmend?

hth
    \r

Advertisement