Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PartyP Cheque

• 16-04-2008 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Just received cheque today, whats the quickest way of accessing the money, its a barclays cheque (London) but in dollars.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

the quickest way is traditionally to cash it in your local pub. There are also institutions called banks where you can negotiate these cheques, however it is harder to get a drink while you are waiting to be served there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Shivverz

RoundTower wrote: »
    the quickest way is traditionally to cash it in your local pub. There are also institutions called banks where you can negotiate these cheques, however it is harder to get a drink while you are waiting to be served there.
    You see there was a note attached to the cheque saying if one is outside England the cheque can take 2-3 weeks to clear....
    I dont think my local wants to cash out a 5k cheque somehow...
    If they did I imagine I'd end up with half of it after having to by a f'n round for the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Shivverz wrote: »
    You see there was a note attached to the cheque saying if one is outside England the cheque can take 2-3 weeks to clear....

At least 2-3 weeks, all depending. I got a cheque from Mermaid a while back and, from the day of requesting withdrawal to the money being in my a/c, it took almost 8 wks!:eek:

Five weeks of that were due to Ulster Bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

If you have a savings account that doesn't allow you immediate access to the funds in it without 2 weeks prior notice (high interest savings account) then lodge it to that... it'll clear to your balance same day. Then you can write to your bank manager requesting whatever amount you require out of the 5K as one of your once-off withdrawls from the savings account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭carrigeen

will have to be sent for collection (your bank will have to physically post it to BNarclays and get a draft back once cleared ) depending on post will prob take 2/3 weeks

p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

derek27 wrote: »
    it'll clear to your balance same day.

Wont it still have to be sent for clearance?!

Oh, and there is also a bank charge on this clearance! I think its about time I changed my MC to Visa!!!!:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

carrigeen wrote: »
    will have to be sent for collection (your bank will have to physically post it to BNarclays and get a draft back once cleared ) depending on post will prob take 2/3 weeks

p

got there ahead of me, whoever said above that 5 weeks of it was due to Ulster Bank or w/e is wrong. Depending on the bank/teller/your account status with the bank they may not bother sending it on collection basis.

(would u guess that we have both worked for AIB?)

Went to an Ulster Bank branch there (not my own). Manager said I needed to go to my branch, which is in town... But she said they may clear it straight away for me. Does this mean cash straight away?
    If they know its a Barclays cheque surely they can release money for you...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

It's a foreign currency cheque - you lodge it via the relevant counter at your bank. Most banks will clear it in a matter of days. In fact I know that many Student accounts clear cheques in a matter of hours, especially when they know it can't possibly bounce.

Denny Crane.

lee_arama wrote: »
    It's a foreign currency cheque - you lodge it via the relevant counter at your bank. Most banks will clear it in a matter of days. In fact I know that many Student accounts clear cheques in a matter of hours, especially when they know it can't possibly bounce.

Denny Crane.

Thats what I like to hear, cheers Denny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

depends on your bank and the relationship you have with them and what balance is currently in your account. If your account is always low and you're not a longterm customer, be prepared to wait for it to clear. Usually around 10 working days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

In Bank of Ireland it depends on status of your account. - If you have salary coming in on regular basis and never had any major problems they give you effective clearance same day, but on the understanding that if the cheque comes back you will be liable for all charges / interest. I think it the same for all banks.

Most managers will also have a look at who the cheque is from and make a judgement call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Denny Crane!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

lee_arama wrote: »
    Denny Crane!

This is nearly like a South Park moment.

Denny!!!

Advertisement