Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Update on Eircom doubling speeds?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Last I heard it is supposed to happen in June - is that still the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

A 2mb package become 4mb - is that right?
    wonder if caps are being doubled too?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

keith_d99 wrote: »
    A 2mb package become 4mb - is that right?
    wonder if caps are being doubled too?

2meg is going to 3, 3 is going to 7.6.

Info here:
    http://home.eircom.net/about/press/2008/January/12107837?view=Standard&main=yes

No word on caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Well, that settles it.

Heading back to Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jimbob

quad_red wrote: »
    Well, that settles it.

Heading back to Eircom.

Why would you head back. When Eircom increases their speeds, most other operators will too as they use Eircom's network.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Oh dear, don't mention them...we have had no internet or its been on go slow for a week and a half..first were told a fibre optic cable had been damaged at their exchange, then it was on go slow....then we were told that the had upgraded to ADSL2 and it was worse and they were going to 'roll back' to the old system.....

now all we can get to work (at usual high speed) is the mac computer, but I can't get any email on it. The other computers say they get a connection, but the server can't find any pages.

I'm as seriously so over this as I can't communicate with anyone at home (sorry to whinge)

I need to find somewhere else to ask Q's about why my email isn't working and Safari can't seem to find Gmail and Yahoo opens then freezes...

Oh BTW, we are on wireless broadband

jimbob wrote: »
    Why would you head back. When Eircom increases their speeds, most other operators will too as they use Eircom's network.

Because anything has to be better than what we have ie. BT.

Can't get NTL or Smart. Am sick of our 2mb line averaging out at 500kbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

ozchick wrote: »
    Oh dear, don't mention them...we have had no internet or its been on go slow for a week and a half..first were told a fibre optic cable had been damaged at their exchange, then it was on go slow....then we were told that the had upgraded to ADSL2 and it was worse and they were going to 'roll back' to the old system.....

now all we can get to work (at usual high speed) is the mac computer, but I can't get any email on it. The other computers say they get a connection, but the server can't find any pages.

I'm as seriously so over this as I can't communicate with anyone at home (sorry to whinge)

I need to find somewhere else to ask Q's about why my email isn't working and Safari can't seem to find Gmail and Yahoo opens then freezes...

Oh BTW, we are on wireless broadband

Whats this got to do with eircom doubling speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Because anything has to be better than what we have ie. BT.

Can't get NTL or Smart. Am sick of our 2mb line averaging out at 500kbps.
    Probably just a poor line, doubt it would improve any by swapping provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Just to clarify, Im on an existing 2mb line so this will be upgraded to 3 and the package will remain at the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

armour87 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Im on an existing 2mb line so this will be upgraded to 3 and the package will remain at the same price?
    Yep

Probably just a poor line, doubt it would improve any by swapping provider.

At midnight last night I ran speedtest and it gave 1.7 mb download and 212kbps upload.

I presume that indicates that the problem's contention?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

At midnight last night I ran speedtest and it gave 1.7 mb download and 212kbps upload.

No contention. DSL overheads are the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭ongarite

Thats the max speed from 2MB line in most cases. Nothing wrong there.

Er, I looked up DSL Contention http://pflog.net/dsl_overhead/

I think ye think I'm complaining cos I was getting 1.7 mbps - I wasn't! :p

I'd be happy as larry if I was getting that at usable times. But I'm not - I'm getting a quarter of that!

Just taken:
    Speed test statistics
    Download speed: 446696 bps
    Upload speed: 221176 bps
    Quality of service: 82 %
    Download test type: socket
    Upload test type: socket
    Maximum download pause: 49 ms
    Average download pause: 25 ms
    Minimum round trip time to server: 100 ms
    Average round trip time to server: 269 ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Ive ran a speed test on my eircom 2mb line and got fairy good results i think (results in my signature) I was thinking of switching over to one of NTL's broadband packages which seem to offer more, but since eircom will be upgrading to 3mb soon, I think I might just stick with them and save the hassle involved in instalation etc. I just hope that this upgrade comes when they say it will, because its been a long time since eircom upgraded their speeds.
    I remember gettin broadband from eircom in 2004 and it being 512k, then 1mb and then 2mb, but it has been a long time since they upgraded it to 2mb!
    Would be nice if they just gave the whole 4mb instead of 3 :)

260550703.png

Advertisement