Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

someone's digging my garden!!

Options
  • 16-04-2008 11:40am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi guys, i have a small back garden, and is completely covered by decking and paving slabs, except for a small trench which is about 300mm wide by 1.8m long.

i have it filled with muck and peat etc etc and have some small plants growing there no problem, but every 2 or 3 days i wake up to find 2 little holes gud in the muck and the muck splashed out over my slabs!!

its very annoying at the moment, people keep saying it mst be a cat or a bird or something.

is there anything i can do to keep them away or anybody have any similar experiences with this sort of thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cats.

Buy a pack of wooden skewers, about €2 in Lidl/Tesco and put them in your trench, pointy end sticking up about four inches, and three inches apart. Other than covering the bed, this is the only thing that worked for me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cheers man, i was also told to put some pepper around the decking, as this is what i have to wall the trench.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

kceire wrote: »
    cheers man, i was also told to put some pepper around the decking, as this is what i have to wall the trench.
    If you have an asian supermarket near you - buy a bag of the strongest chilli powder that they have (it'll be way cheaper than your local supermarket) & sprinkle liberally around your plants. Don't put it on the decking as it may stain it. You'll need to apply again after any rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

Set your alarm early and watch out for the culprit.

It could be rats.

:(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

blackbox wrote: »
    Set your alarm early and watch out for the culprit.

It could be rats.

:(

You have decking which is renowned for attracting rats, so this could be your problem alright.

Put down a load of rat poision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Yeah, sounds like rats. Not a big problem, but it might be a good idea to get some poison.

gl

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

newbie2 wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds like rats. Not a big problem, but it might be a good idea to get some poison.

gl
    If you suspect that it is a rat - ask your local authority/health board to lay the poison for you. The should do it FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Ah now... we can't jump to conclusions.

I've seen blackbirds doing a fair amount of digging, and foxes and hedgehogs also.

Look for signs of what it might be by examining for prints of claw-marks. Also, what's in the area they are digging in? bark-chippings, soil? What plants are located in it?

Advertisement