Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about Outlook .pst files

• 16-04-2008 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Recently I set up a series of .pst files for my boss to help manage his emails. He has now come back to me to request that I delete the deleted items folder that comes with each .pst file.

Is this possible? I've tried to move it but it keeps saying that special folders like inbox, sent items etc cannot be moved.

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As far as i know it's not possible without modifing the regestry.
    I have only done this myself in the past to fix an issue with a
    missing deleted items folder in that i needed to get it back.
    Dont ask me how the user got rid of it in the first place as its
    still a mystery to me.

In your case your taking about getting rid of it from a .pst
    I would ask why in the name of god your boss would want
    to do this as its hardly a major annoyance but i've learned
    in the past just not to bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

Thanks Calex,

It's not something that would bother most people but since he asked I said I would check it out.

Seeing as it would involve major works I will just have to explain that he will have to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

PST files are the bane of many windows admins' existence :(
    They're unreliable once they get big or are used via a network drive at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

I know that's why I have one for each topic it prevents them from getting too big. My boss just didn't like having so many deleted items folders in his folder list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can't delete the deleted items folder in the default delivery location , but you can delete everything in it

the nearest option to removing the is, the setting in outlook to deleted items when you close it

don't forget that auto archive removes emails making your pst smaller, great until you loose all your sent items over six months old :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Booo to .PST files. They'll come back to bite ya! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's worse when they don't come back :(

Microsoft don't support them over networks or if they are over 500MB

one useful tool is this - link explains how to expand out of the MSI which is easier to work with. It allows you to have PST on local PC and then copy it to the server when you exit outlook (or to a USB key whatever ) if only you could do a rcopy version to only move the changes
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810932

Advertisement