Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find Photos of Cork City in the 80s.

Options
  • 16-04-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where would be the best place to get these. In particular I'm looking for photos of and around Patricks St.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I'm sure the city library would have books of that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Eason's has a selection of books of photography of Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/corkimages/photos.shtml

This site has a number of old photos of Cork City, worth a look at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

There would probably be a whole load of old photos of Cork in the Examiner picture archives too. Would be worth giving them a shout.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

there's a brilliant book of photos of it in the 60's, no lovelier city it's called.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I remember seeing a book a few years back at Waterstones and it was pictures of the English Market - I'd say a lot of those were taken in the
    80's. That was the decade myself and most of my friends headed across the seas for work. I'm being very "nosey" as to why the 80's - is it a trip down memory lane??? Let us know how you get on with the search. J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

And slightly-offtopic, I'm trying to remember what Merchants Quay was like before they built that Shopping Centre... I'm drawing a complete blank. Anyone care to remind me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Merchants Quay:

oldmerchantsquayqi1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Thanks muchly, Mr. Tea!

Oddly enough, I still can't remember it exactly like that. Still, that piccie looks a lot nicer than the monstrosity that's there now... even though many of the buildings were a bit on the decrepit side...

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Judes wrote: »
    I remember seeing a book a few years back at Waterstones and it was pictures of the English Market - I'd say a lot of those were taken in the
    80's. That was the decade myself and most of my friends headed across the seas for work. I'm being very "nosey" as to why the 80's - is it a trip down memory lane??? Let us know how you get on with the search. J

It's purely for my own interest. As I was born in 78, I have vague memories of Patricks St. and the area around Merchants Quay in the early 80s. I'm just wondering how accurate these memories are. I can vividly recall the layout of the old easons when it was down further, but as regard Merchants Quay, I can sort of remember something like the photo above except boarded up and one toy shop which would be located about where laura Asheley is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Brill pic of Merchant's Quay - but I can't remember it either - and I used to walk along there every day on the way to my bus stop at Parnell Place. The city needs to be improved and what's crumbling needs to be saved/rebuilt - but we really are losing our identity, we're starting to look like "anywhere" vs "somewhere".

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ttc028

There is some deadly stuff here, including some movie footage (check out the Wilton clip!).

http://www.karlgrabe.com/

Just scroll down to the "Cork & Ireland in the past" section

Advertisement