Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grounds for an exchange?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I bought 2 x 2 seater leather (not sure if it's real leather) sofas in Homebase. Took about a month to deliver, then they sat in my kitchen for about a week before use. Been in use now for about a week.

The area where you sit is starting to stretch/crinkle. From new the leather was smooth and taut over the cushion. Makes the suite look much older that it is. It's obvious but not extremely bad but I'm wondering what it's going to look like in a month, or six months.

Not looking for my money back, just an exchange for a different make/model, even a more expensive one (paying the difference).

I haven't gone back them yet, was wondering if I would have a strong case, or if I would need a strong case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you say you've only had it for two weeks so in general you should get an exchange for faults but there are no definite rules in this area.

that shouldn't happen after a week so really they should give you an exchange but remember to be nice about it because there is no law obliging them to give you one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- Replace
    - Repair
    or
    - Refund

Its up to the business, not you they might be nice and leave you get a different model if they consider the issue a fault .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The question is - is the item faulty? If it is considered faulty then you can demand a refund i.e. reject the goods as the item would not have been legally accepted yet. Sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 S34(2). This applies only if the item is faulty.

If the item is expected to go like that because it is leather or something then there is nothing to be done as you got what you paid for.

axer wrote: »
    The question is - is the item faulty? If it is considered faulty then you can demand a refund

no you can't. you can demand a refund, repair or replacement at the retailer's discretion.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    no you can't. you can demand a refund, repair or replacement at the retailer's discretion.
    And which section of the act is that in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Got the exchange no questions asked. Argos were really very good. Turns out that the customer has up to 30 days in which they can change their mind and get a full refund.

They arranged for the pickup date of the old suite to coincide with the delivery date of the new suite. Also, refunded the original delivery charge.

Best customer service I've come across.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Fair play to Argos/Homebase. Seldom you see good reports on after-sales service.

axer wrote: »
    And which section of the act is that in?

i'm not going to go through the whole act to find the part. this is the page i generally use:
    http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i'm not going to go through the whole act to find the part. this is the page i generally use:
    http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland
    That only generalises everything. Look at S34(2) of the act. You may also need to read up on the difference between a condition and a warranty when it comes to terms of a contract.

Advertisement