Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving test has become a lot easier

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I hope its true that the test has become easier. I'm taking my second road test on June 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Nightwish wrote: »
    In the UK they cannot drive unaccompanied before taking the test, so most have all their pre-test driving experience in driving school cars.

I must admit I have spent approx €1200 on lessons while learning to drive. Money well spent in order to become a safe driver IMHO.

I totally agree I quoted that section of the piece for the people who come on here bitching about how are they doing to learn how to drive when the new rules come in. People in the UK suck it up and pay for the lessons and I don't have any pity for people here - I paid for lessons and don't regret a penny of it, went without a few nights out and treats for a bit but feel it was money well spent. Anyone who replies and cry's poverty if your that broke how can you afford the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

But those drivers are statistically the safest drivers on our roads while young male drivers, who know it all, are statistically the most dangerous.

As a wise man once said "statistics mean nothing to the individual.." Thats abosolute rubbish mate I have to say, statistics can be used in all sorts of ways to distort the reality of a situation, and if these so called 'experienced drivers' really are the safest group on our roads then they wont have a problem sitting and passing what many other so called experienced drivers call a basic standard test, including the RSA's spokeperson Gay Byrne.

Also these statistics, do they seperate out full licence holders who sat their test, from those who simply bought their licence?

Would also be an interesting side note to see how long he Mr Byrne would be left on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

givyjoe81 wrote:
    if these so called 'experienced drivers' really are the safest group on our roads then they wont have a problem sitting and passing what many other so called experienced drivers call a basic standard test, including the RSA's spokeperson Gay Byrne.

They might have a slight problem in that you need a provisional license/learner permit to sit a driving test. Trying to sit a driving test with a full license may raise a few eyebrows.

Stark wrote: »
    They might have a slight problem in that you need a provisional license/learner permit to sit a driving test. Trying to sit a driving test with a full license may raise a few eyebrows.

I'm well aware of the requirements for sitting a test. Having already done so and passed myself, which is more than can be said for above mentioned 'safe drivers'. Its obviously not gonna happen but it sure would be interesting to see how they would get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    As a wise man once said "statistics mean nothing to the individual.." Thats abosolute rubbish mate I have to say, statistics can be used in all sorts of ways to distort the reality of a situation, and if these so called 'experienced drivers' really are the safest group on our roads then they wont have a problem sitting and passing what many other so called experienced drivers call a basic standard test, including the RSA's spokeperson Gay Byrne.

Also these statistics, do they seperate out full licence holders who sat their test, from those who simply bought their licence?

Would also be an interesting side note to see how long he Mr Byrne would be left on a waiting list.
    I'm well aware of the requirements for sitting a test. Having already done so and passed myself, which is more than can be said for above mentioned 'safe drivers'. Its obviously not gonna happen but it sure would be interesting to see how they would get on.

You made an <SNIP> of yourself on this thread last November. Do you intend to do the same again?

You made an <SNIP> of yourself on this thread last November. Do you intend to do the same again?

Ha, where to start.. Hit a nerver did i?! I merely i highlighted my concerns and those of many others in a forum to help learners , not a forum to bash learners which allot of people seem to treat this place as. my posts only showed just how smug full licence holders such as yourself really are. While you do offer allot of welcome adive to learners, you also seem all to often dish out allot of unwelcome patronising comments to go with it.

Get down off your high horse mate.

not a forum to bash learners
    Nor is it a forum to bash Driving Licence holders.

givyjoe81 - take a couple of weeks off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LDriver

+1 and Well said givyjoe81. Agree with all you said re smug full licence holders, statistics [ha ha ]people who bought licences, and I'd love to see these license purchasers take test. They are not full licence holders by the accepted standard, the driving test, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

LDriver wrote: »
    +1 and Well said givyjoe81. Agree with all you said re smug full licence holders, statistics [ha ha ]people who bought licences, and I'd love to see these license purchasers take test. They are not full licence holders by the accepted standard, the driving test, end of.
    And you call them smug...

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    And you call them smug...
    Well you said now whos the smug one first. I am not smug and even if i was i would need a long travel to get to the condesending attitude shown by full licence holder towards learners. i should have had a camera yesterday and could post a pic of all the full licence holders who had the yellow box junction held up apparently the y do not know the rules.....

I'm well aware of the requirements for sitting a test. Having already done so and passed myself,
    congrats
    which is more than can be said for above mentioned 'safe drivers'.
    Absolutely. Maybe there are 'statistics' to show they are 'safer'

Here are some stats:-

"The amnesty was short-lived, but tens of thousands of provisional licence-holders benefited" http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/01/04/story51811.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

"The amnesty was short-lived, but tens of thousands of provisional licence-holders benefited" http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/01/04/story51811.asp

for the love of..........how many more times is this going to be brought up? I think Wishbone Ash and the other mods on this board have explained and re-explained the amnesty and actually numbers of people driving on the so called paid for licenses. I'm starting to think there should be a sticky at the top of the forum to stop this being brought up all the time.

Why is everyone so concerned about other drivers who, wither you like how they got them or not, have their full license? Regardless of how they got their licenses it doesn't change the fact that whole system of letting people get provisional after provisional is a joke - I've non-irish friends who are in total shock when they hear we let people drive on the roads without full licenses. I worry when I hear about people only driving for less then two months getting full licenses alot more then people who were driving for years being given their full license a bloody long time ago which means they've a bunch more years driving under their belts.

Now I have passed my test and have earned my full licence by the only standard that is recognised, the driving test

Best wishes to all L platers and don't mind the sneering attitude of some, work for your licence, study and you'll earn it

have earned my full licence by the only standard that is recognised, the driving test
    Their licences are officially recognised whether you like it or not.
    LDriver wrote:
    don't mind the sneering attitude of some
    Pot and kettle come to mind.

The Learning to Drive Charter has been updated.

Sneering comments about pre 1964 Driving Licence holders or those who legally and officially availed of the 1979 amnesty to obtain a Driving Licence will no longed be permitted. It is not constructive and achieves nothing.

Posters are free to constructively critise the system which allowed some drivers to obtain their Licence this way but not to critise the actual Driving Licence holders

This thread has run its course and is now closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement