Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Bar Cheesecake

• 16-04-2008 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I plan on making a Mars Bar cheesecake over the weekend. I found a recipe on the Masterfoods website (linky), but under the ingredients gelatine is listed as 3. Would this be 3 leaves? Or if I'm using sachets how much should I use? I spent a month (and a fortune) trying to make a cheesecake before, following a recipe using gelatine and each time it was a disaster, so I want to be sure I have it right before I start. Alternatively if anyone had a tried and trusted recipe that didn't require gelatine that they wouldn't mind posting that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

it says 3 tea spoons on the recipie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

So it does :o

Does that not sound like a lot??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...nope.

Have a look on your gelatine packet. It'll tell you how much liquid one sachet will set. Keep in mind that it sets it like, well, jelly, which can be quite a soft set. Cheesecake requires a firmer setting agent, hence more gelatine.

To me, recipes like this are only really spoiled by too little gelatine, so they don't set properly and the cake integrity is more like custard. Little too much gelatine is better than too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I love mars bars and I love cheesecake but somehow the idea of mars bar cheese cake doesn't appeal to me. Hmm, strange!

OP, let us know how it turns out. I may be swayed if you say it was tasty!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

from my own experiences of making many chocolate based cheesecaeks, i find you can leave out the gelatine depending on how much cream and how well whipped it is. i find that if the chocolate isnt made into too runny a sauce it adds to the stiffness of the filling w/o gelatine.

• Advertisement

That's interesting Tree, because it was a chocolate cheesecake that I tried making before, and even though I was following a recipe it was like there was too much gelatine. The texture was very rubbery, I'm sure it would have bounced!

watna, I was like you in that I didn't tink I would like it, but I was out with my mothe recently and she ordered it and I ended up eating half it on her (as well as my own apple crumble, custard and cream :p)!

I made the Mars Bar Cheesecake over the weekend, following the recipe I linked to above (and 3 teaspoons of gelatine ;)) and it was lovely. I probably could have done with a little more butter in the base and I'll use a smaller baking tin next time, but I'll definitely be making it again.

Advertisement