Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peeling tiles off plasterboard

Options
  • 16-04-2008 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Thinking of tiling bathroom. Will have to take old splashback tiles off first. Is this easy to do - just chisel them off?

This will be my first tiling job - so any advise would be helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

takeing tiles off plaster board is the easy part putting them back on is the hard part .... if its your first job get a tiler in to do it there's just to many things that can go wrong
    between getting them level/ plumb sealing the shower/bath window reveals you'll also need to brush up on your plumbing skills (for jacks/sink) if you get it wrong it may cost you a lot more to put right
    get a tiler to do it and stand over his shoulder and watch what he's at then for futhure referance you'll know the score
    I do a lot of work myself(snagger) but there's no way id try any job unless I was shown by a pro

Last time I tried that, I stripped off the backing paper from the plasterboard and made a right mess of it! If the tiles are well stuck on it may be easier just to rip the board off and fit a new sheet of plasterboard rather than trying to save the existing one. This is what I did in the end.

Alternativly just tile over the existing tiles or paint them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭rockdrummer

I didnt want to get someone to do it to save myself some dosh.

I have been reading up on it and It seems the main thing is preparation and taking your time. measuring out all the tiles so you know how the wall will look before the tiles go on !! I know it will be tricky, getting into the awkward places and cutting tiles etc but Id like to give it a go !!

Advertisement