Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Speed Chase Ends With Arrests - PSNI & Gardai

• 16-04-2008 1:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was just reading the following article on the BBC News, its good to see that the PSNI & Gardai were able to cooperate to get a result.:)

From BBC News:
    Men held after high-speed pursuit

Three men have been arrested after an armed robbery and cross-border car pursuit.
    PSNI and Garda units were involved in the chase during which a number of vehicles were rammed.
    The incident began when three men, one armed with a handgun, forced their way into a parochial house in Abbey Street, Armagh, at about 1700 BST on Tuesday.
    PSNI pursued the men's van towards the border. Gardai took up the pursuit and the vehicle was stopped in Monaghan.
    Three police cars were rammed before the van was eventually brought to a halt.
    During the robbery a housekeeper was locked in the bathroom while the raiders searched the parochial house and found a sum of cash.
    Police arrived at the scene as a vehicle was leaving but it failed to stop.
    Local SDLP councillor Mealla Bratton, who has spoken to the priests, said everyone in the parochial house had been very traumatised.
    "It is upsetting for all members of the household. They are very resilient and I know they will come through this.
    PSNI officers following the van towards the border alerted the gardai who picked up the chase as the vehicle drove into County Monaghan.
    Two men were arrested by the gardai while the PSNI detained another man in Benburb, County Tyrone
    A quantity of money and other items were recovered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 popinfresh101

Its good to see them working together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Yes and when Tetra is introduced the border areas will be able to communicate with eachother.

By the way am I the only one that is shocked by the lack of signs showing the border? went to Belfats not so long ago and only knew I was over the border when I stopped for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Change in road surface is all

There is a lack of signs alrite. The new N1/A1 has some small tell tales like big sign for customs post (for documents to be stamped etc) and breaks in the barriers for "authorised vehicles" to do u-turns eighter side

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    Change in road surface is all

There is a lack of signs alrite. The new N1/A1 has some small tell tales like big sign for customs post (for documents to be stamped etc) and breaks in the barriers for "authorised vehicles" to do u-turns eighter side

Yeah and 'Garda' instead of 'police' but come on' how about a bloody 'welcome to' or 'now entering' at the actual border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

By the way am I the only one that is shocked by the lack of signs showing the border? went to Belfats not so long ago and only knew I was over the border when I stopped for food.
    You mean you weren't paying attention to the speed signs that miraculously change from kph to mph? tsk tsk!

I'd imagine a big sign that read "Welcome to the United Kingdom" wouldn't have too long of a life-span in that part of the province.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Speaking of which? Any cross border incursions anyone knows of? :D Would be an interesting story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

I've read in Mary T O'Connor's book, on the beat of a couple of incursion stories when she was stationed in Castleblaney.

One was some kind of high speed chase of gougers by Gardai through some country roads etc. All of a sudden they hit a little village with red (imagine it!) phone boxes, had to quickly turn back and head the other way!

I remember interestingly also that she mentioned that local gougers once stole a Garda car and the local RUC rang a Garda border station informing them that a Garda car was abandoned in a Northern Irish village with all the doors open. The Gardai unofficially went over the border and reclaimed the car!

In real life, i may know of a skipper who may have told me a story that may or may not be fiction (have to be careful what you say on here of course).Could have been the 70s border duty by Gardai or the foot and mouth crisis in the mid to late 90's.Could have been that Gardai had a small fire going near the border at night to keep warm, and lo and behold, the local British Army unit may have asked the Gardai could they join them on the Republic side of the border to keep warm. Gardai obliged of course.A jolly old time may have been had.

Of course this never happened, complete nonsense.

But this piece of interesting-ness did...

SAS vs Gardai!

http://www.argus.ie/local-notes/night-gardai-and-army-arrested-eight-armed-sas-men-in-omeath-616717.html

hammy140 wrote: »
    I've read in Mary T Kelly's book, on the beat of a couple of incursion stories when she was stationed in Castleblaney.

One was some kind of high speed chase of gougers by Gardai through some country roads etc. All of a sudden they hit a little village with red (imagine it!) phone boxes, had to quickly turn back and head the other way!

I remember interestingly also that she mentioned that local gougers once stole a Garda car and the local RUC rang a Garda border station informing them that a Garda car was abandoned in a Northern Irish village with all the doors open. The Gardai unofficially went over the border and reclaimed the car!

In real life, i may know of a skipper who may have told me a story that may or may not be fiction (have to be careful what you say on here of course).Could have been the 70s border duty by Gardai or the foot and mouth crisis in the mid to late 90's.Could have been that Gardai had a small fire going near the border at night to keep warm, and lo and behold, the local British Army unit may have asked the Gardai could they join them on the Republic side of the border to keep warm. Gardai obliged of course.A jolly old time may have been had.

Of course this never happened, complete nonsense.

But this piece of interesting-ness did...

SAS vs Gardai!

http://www.argus.ie/local-notes/night-gardai-and-army-arrested-eight-armed-sas-men-in-omeath-616717.html

Dont forget the story about the heavily armed SAS team climbing over a wall into the Republic and being arrested by 1 Gardai with nothing but 1 pair of cuffs and a baton. The story goes that the SAS leader was so shocked that all he could think to do was kick the Garda and run hell for leather back over the border. All the time with the Garda hobbling after them :D

Relations were never anything approaching friendly between the two sides back then.

As for Mary T, oh please :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭hammy140

Dont forget the story about the heavily armed SAS team climbing over a wall into the Republic and being arrested by 1 Gardai with nothing but 1 pair of cuffs and a baton. The story goes that the SAS leader was so shocked that all he could think to do was kick the Garda and run hell for leather back over the border. All the time with the Garda hobbling after them :D

Relations were never anything approaching friendly between the two sides back then.

You could just imagine parade in those days"lads, and if ye see any fellas with big guns in uniform, just kick em back over where they came from, too much paperwork!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

Nice too see teh chruch was giving some funds back to the needy.
    well they need it now.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

+1

On the IT Helpdesk would have been a better title.;)

My uncle was an MP in the Irish Army. At least once a month in the late 70's they would constantly be picking up 'lost' SAS guys south of the border and would bus them back without any formal reporting or questioning. He said they were incredibly arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

+1

On the IT Helpdesk would have been a better title.;)

My uncle was an MP in the Irish Army. At least once a month in the late 70's they would constantly be picking up 'lost' SAS guys south of the border and would bus them back without any formal reporting or questioning. He said they were incredibly arrogant.
    Fits the whole Andy McNab thing then!

There is also the case of 4 SAS lads being arrested at an Army/Garda checkpoint,they were in plain clothes and armed.They were even put in jail and brought to court but were subsequently released..I can't really remember the details!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Just mentioned above!

Advertisement