Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

limiting factors in the number of speakers you can run

• 16-04-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

What are the limiting factors in the number of speakers you can run off a system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Impedance of the speakers and impedance of the speaker terminals is the main one, but also how you actually wire the speakers. i.e. in series or in parallel, if you are running more than one pair from terminals that were designed to run a single pair of speakers.
    I take it that is what you are trying to do? If so give us as much info on what equipment you have and it will help!
    Or just curious!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jgoodman05

I was hoping to buy one of these http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=48&SUB=49&ProductID=688 and attach 4 speakers to it , and wondered what would be the loss of sound as compared to running two speakers. And what would be the best way to do it?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Homer

Two ways to do it..

1. Speaker switch. Use something like this ss21.jpg
    This uses capacitors and resistors inside to handle the impedance difference and will allow you to have either both pairs of speakers on at the same time, or to select to have just one pair on at a time by using the selector switches at the front.

2. Parallel Wiring.
    Using the parallel method the setup would look something like this
    speakerwire.jpg
    However, this is based on two pairs of 8 ohm speakers wired into an amplifier that can handle from 4 - 16 ohms!
    Be very careful, as you could not wire two pairs of 4 ohm speakers into this amplifier!

I personally would go with the speaker switch method if you are unsure.
    It does mention that the system is 6 ohm rated? If this is the case then by parallel wiring two pairs of 8 ohm speakers into the back of the amplifier you are effectively left with 4 ohms, and although it would work, it would not work for very long I would guess!

Cheers

Thanks Industria , Thats really helpful , I think I'd definitely go for the speaker switch method as I'd like to be able to turn two of them off for most of the time. So if I got a speaker switch and hooked up 4 speakers to this

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=48&SUB=49&ProductID=688

would I lose much sound quality when having the 4 on as compared with having only two speakers on.

Thanks a million, John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭b318isp

industria wrote: »
    If this is the case then by parallel wiring two pairs of 8 ohm speakers into the back of the amplifier you are effectively left with 4 ohms, and although it would work, it would not work for very long I would guess!

But remember that 8 ohms is only the nominal impedence. The actual impedence at a particular frequency could drop well below that...

• Advertisement

jgoodman05 wrote: »
    would I lose much sound quality when having the 4 on as compared with having only two speakers on.

Why do you think you need 4 speakers? At 25W, you do not have a huge amount of power. I'd advise staying with 2 speakers.

Two in the siiting room and two in a room i work in , and don't have a huge amount of cash and like that model

Then go with the switcher.

Advertisement