Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bike for an easy ride - Town-Finglas

Options
  • 16-04-2008 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm trying to get into cycling to work , but not being very fit and my bike being a cheap 'giant' mountain bike - €250 , from Finglas to town and back , especially back, is pretty hard work , putting me off the whole enterprise. Any advise as to what kind of bike , and what make would make this journey a bit easier.
    Any info much appreciated, cheers , Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You should change the tires to semi-slicks for a start. That should make a huge difference.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Best advice I can give is not to be put off and keep doing it. If you've just started cycling, the rate of improvement at the beginning is quite dramatic and you'll find it noticeably easier within a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

The tool doesn't create the worker, that's what we say in spain.
    But helps!!! So having a good bike, lightweight and all that stuff helps a lot.
    But look, i have a 12 years old bike and you should see how i did pedal from enniskerry to johnny fox's last sunday, i left behind a guy cycling a year old trek1400.
    It might need some fixes your bike, and keep it trying and it will be easier for you.
    Never give up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If you have the budget, I recommend for commuting a hybrid of the flat-bar racer kind e.g. the Giant FCR or the Specialized Sirrus series. The Giants start around 550 quid, the Specializeds around 700. These types of bikes have thinner wheels than mountain bikes, are generally lighter, and have gearing more suited to road use. They also give you a more upright riding position than a road bike/racer, which may suit you better at this stage.

If you want to stick with your current bike for the time being, making sure your tyres are properly inflated will make a big difference, as will changing to slicks/semi-slick tyres. My main tip, though, would be to get toe straps. These will mean you're not just pushing down on the pedals but pulling them as well - something that greatly increases the amount of power you transfer to the bike.
    jgoodman05 wrote: »
    I'm trying to get into cycling to work , but not being very fit and my bike being a cheap 'giant' mountain bike - €250 , from Finglas to town and back , especially back, is pretty hard work , putting me off the whole enterprise. Any advise as to what kind of bike , and what make would make this journey a bit easier.
    Any info much appreciated, cheers , Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Top tip

When you reach harts corner dont turn down withworth road and up Dorset street. Continue to phisborough main junction, turn left. Turn right heading towards the matter. Continue on the arch towards o'connell street. This route is shorter, has better road surface and i find it generally safer than any alternative routes. 40bus route and 19/19a route waste time. Save yourself some energy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement