Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humus

• 16-04-2008 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

I've cut out the bagels with the cream cheese and I've come up with what I think is a healthy alternative?

Humus and Oat cakes as a snack or for lunch.

I looked at the calorie content on the back of the humus and I gotta say I was shocked! It's huge! If I'm aiming to lose weight is having this every day gonna go against my aims?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You can make your own hoummus really easily.

Can of chickpeas, clove of garlic, dash of lemon juice, pinch cayenne, little black pepper, blitz in blender. If too dry, you can add some of the water from the can. Around 300 calories for the whole lot (check your can of chickpeas for nutritional info), and you'd only eat half in one sitting - if that much.

If you want fat in it you can add an oil of your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Hummus is not a bad food, but making your own might be better. Personally, I'd ditch the oatcakes and try eating it with celery stalks or green pepper or a green salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

Hummus is also great with wholemeal pitta - you could make a nice filling lunch with hummus, salad, and pitta. Black olives essential in the salad! I love oat cakes but don't find them very filling for the calories involved. I know they're slow releasing and what have you but I need a bit more bulk, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

I love oat cakes but don't find them very filling for the calories involved.

I'm the same, I don't find them satisfying at all.
    I'm aiming to lose weight is having this every day gonna go against my aims?

This guy sums it up

http://humus101.com/EN/2007/03/16/is-hummus-good-for-your-diet/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

mcdonells hummus is absolutely delish

Just checked the ingredients and listed in this order they are:
    chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, seasoning and cholesterol free sunflower oil.

This is the only type of hummus I'll buy and the others seem very processed in comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement