Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

change of ownership

Options
  • 16-04-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

my apologies if this has been asked before ..
    but im goin to buy a car privately and dont want to make any mistakes!

how does the change of ownership occurs? do i need a solicitor?
    also is it worth it to check cartell for the finance report ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In short you go view the car. If you like it you pay money and sign the registration paper the owner has. This paper lists the info of the car and previous owners etcetera.
    The seller then sends the paper to Shannon and you should get it through mail after 2-4 weeks.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/change_of_ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

thanks biko, but what do i get as a proof of purchase at the moment?

like what if he doesnt post anything?? just assuming the worse scenario

also the vrt expired 2 months ago, will there be any consequences when i renew it? will i have to pay for the months i havent used it too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If he doesn't post it then any speeding fines from traffic cameras might be going to the seller. Politly remind them of this ;)
    Maybe write up a bill of sale too, I j4vier bought this x car from seller for x amount on this date. Sign it and keep a copy each, possibly no need for this though

I think you mean the motortax expired two months ago.
    You only pay for when you own. It doesn't matter if it hasn't been taxed in two months or two years, it's not your problem.

Remember if you buy in April you have to pay motortax for all of April, maybe wait to tax it in May

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

j4vier wrote: »
    thanks biko, but what do i get as a proof of purchase at the moment?
    Assuming you are buying at the sellers house. Don't buy in a car park or wherever!
    like what if he doesnt post anything?? just assuming the worse scenario
    he gets all of your penalty points!
    also the vrt expired 2 months ago, will there be any consequences when i renew it? will i have to pay for the months i havent used it too?
    VRT doesn't expire. Motor tax does. You will be responsible for April onwards - the month where you took ownership

oh ye sorry motor tax ;) , good to know that, i tought there would have been a fine involved or something

ye i plan to go to his house , especially cos when i saw it i met the person it was elsewhere and that was a bit dodgy, but maybe its cause i didnt know the area and they wanted to help me out.. anyway i ll definetly make sure i go to their house

would anyone by any chance know a trustworthy mechanic that wont charge me a fortune? id go for aa or cartell service but 300 e seems too steep for me!
    not to mention that the car is used but relatively new , a 06

• Advertisement

Where is the car located roughly?
    Regarding receipt, you could ask for their licence and put the number on a receipt and ask them to sign.

in beaumont area

but with receipt what do you mean exactly? i ll just write it down on a sheet?

Yeah - on a sheet of paper!

thanks for that ;)

now something went through my mind.. what is stopping the seller from reporting his car been stolen after i paid for it?
    like what is the proof that i bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The receipt that he was just after signing....

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

now something went through my mind.. what is stopping the seller from reporting his car been stolen after i paid for it?
    like what is the proof that i bought it?

TBH, if you've got this many worries about buying privately you might be better off going to a dealer. If the seller accepts, you could pay him by bank draft, that way you would have proof (in the form of a bank receipt) that you bought a draft for x amount from the bank made out to MrX. If he starts any sh!t you can have the bank stop the draft, like a cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 popinfresh101

if you are looking for a good trustworthy mechanic i no a guy not sure off his name off hand he lives in Donaghmede faceing the church and the shoping centre think he only charges 50 euro he is not far away

Advertisement