Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupying house, agreement needed?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm renting out a room in my house, as I'm the owner occupier what sort of lease do I need to get the person renting the room to sign? I was told before a standard tenant agreement would be different as they're aimed at people renting from a landlord who doesn't live in the property.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You do not need a lease of any nature- the person is living in your house "under licence" and is not covered by any of the regulations and acts which govern tenancies. It would however be a very good idea to draw up a list of house rules and get the person to sign off on it. This would include: no music after perhaps 11PM, turning off the immersion heater after use, washing dishes promptly- etc etc.

S./

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

I had a rent-a-room agreement when I had people renting a room.
    PM me your email address if you want a copy of it and I'll send it on to you.

zefer wrote: »
    I had a rent-a-room agreement when I had people renting a room.
    PM me your email address if you want a copy of it and I'll send it on to you.

Any chance you'd post it here- I'm sure it would benefit quite a few people.

S.

Sure thing..Here you go.

Obviously, you can edit it to fit your situation as needs be..

• Advertisement

zefer wrote: »
    Sure thing..Here you go.

Obviously, you can edit it to fit your situation as needs be..

You are actually giving away quite a few rights to the "tenant" in your agreement, that they have no entitlement to. 4 weeks notice to quite would be extremely unusual in a rent-a-room situation, and quite a few of the other conditions are more akin to what would be expected in a lease situation rather than a rent-a-room situation. Just an observation. It is quite a definitive document with a lot of work in it though- well done.

S.

Ps- Perhaps other people might like to make additions to this with further suggestions. I'll sticky this thread. Shane

I actually got that from someone else on Boards but changed it when I used it to suit my own needs..I'll see if I can find the version I used somewhere..Not renting room anymore, so havent used it in a while.

I rigged the 4 weeks notice in my version to state that the renter had to give 4 weeks notice or forefit their deposit but that I could ask them to leave more or less when I wanted but would try to be fair about it..

As I said, you can change it to suit your own needs/circumstances..

Best of luck with it whoever uses it, you can get such a mixed bag of people when renting a room out!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks a million for the feed back lads, will edit the agreement to suit my needs.

Advertisement