Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch Problem Ford Focus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

Managed to get the total cost ddown to 740 for the repair and 200 for the hire.

All in all though 940 euro.

Just to recap, the clutch would depress but the gear stick would not engage into any gear.

Also, if I turned the car off, put the car in first gear and turned it back on again, it would jolt forward. The guy who towed the car for us used this method to actually get the car into the garage from the outside road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Probably all a bit late now but this burnt out clutch thing sounds a bit suspect.

Did your wife notice the clutch degrade, ie it slowly became harder to get in gear?

A worn clutch won't happen suddenly.

I had the same symptoms on my Focus as it was a problem with the master cylinder leaking. 30 mins attention from the AA and it was back to life.

A worn clutch is possible but unlikely. Particularly since you're doing motorway miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Symptoms sound more like a dragging clutch than a worn out clutch. I don't know if bad driving can cause a dragging clutch. I would have said that bad driving would be more likely to cause a slipping clutch.

If the garage have ripped you off here it would not be the first time that a main dealer has made a ****up like this. Friend of mine had overheating and dropping coolant levels in his Astra, an Opel garage examined the car, diagnosed it as a blown head gasket and quoted 1100 quid to fix. He brought it to an independent mechanic for a 2nd opinion and the 2nd guy was shocked at the Opel diagnosis, said there was nothing wrong with the HG, IIRC replaced a thermostat or a water pump (can't remember which) and the car has been fine since.

Stories such as the above are commonplace in the motor trade i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

quarryman wrote: »
    Probably all a bit late now but this burnt out clutch thing sounds a bit suspect.

Did your wife notice the clutch degrade, ie it slowly became harder to get in gear?

A worn clutch won't happen suddenly.

Nothing was noticed at all. Stopped on the motorway to attend to the little fella and when she tried to pull out again the car wouldnt go into gear.

It was that sudden.

As you say though, it is too late now. Money paid and dealer smiling.

Unfortunately the average Joe doesnt stand a chance when it comes to something he knows nothing about. He has to take the dealer at his word and cough up.

It leaves a bad taste.

Advertisement