Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History higher level

Options
  • 16-04-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭

just woundering can the exam be predicted like maths andaccouting???
    as my teacher is a tad bit slow
    so need all the help i can get

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Seeing as there's only been two exams based on the new course, there's no point in guessing what's gonna come up.

Have a look at the sample papers to get an idea what could be asked.

You know for certain that one of the 3 U.S. case studies is coming up. My guess is Vietnam or Montgomery, The Moon Landings seem a bit easy for higher level, and both teachers in my school agree.

There's usually questions based on the other case studies throughout the Irish & European sections, so make sure you have a fair idea about the Eucharistic Council, Belfast during WW2 etc.

In Irish history, know Parnell and Larkin. Parnell came up on all of the pre-leaving papers. Be able to discuss his successes and failures and his role in developing the HR movement.

Know Stalin/Lenin/Hitler and Mussolini. I'm hoping Hitler won't come up as there's about ten different Qs they could ask (propaganda, Hitler's rse to power etc..)

Be able to write essays on the economy of Ni/Britain/Ireland/Germany during WW2 and the Soviet Economy under Lenin and Stalin.

If you're doing Irish History Topic 6, Jack Lynch, Rte & Communications, the Second Vatican Council, and Fisheries and the EEC are relatively easy to prepare and learn.

Anglo-American Popular culture is, a p*ss easy question to learn, and its often skimmed over my teachers who see it as bedtime reading. Its very easy to learn, and be able to talk about Pop. culture in the Inter-war period AND during the war, in both America and Britain.

Have you finished your research project? Its an easy way to pick up 100 marks and as long as the structure and layout is correct, most people generally get As.
    Talk to your teacher, look at the Dept. of education website and look at the guidelines and marking scheme for the project, its just as easy to lose marks (by not writing the name of the the Publisher for a written source for exaple) as it is to gain them

Best of luck!
    (pm me if you wanna know anything else)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 an_upstart

:(i'm doing history as well, and it's all just so daunting to me... 12 case studies, 15 million key personalities (and some by the way, oh so boring), 4 books.. not to mention d SRS or RSR...whatever..

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

dip wrote: »

There's usually questions based on the other case studies throughout the Irish & European sections, so make sure you have a fair idea about the Eucharistic Council, Belfast during WW2 etc.

Know Stalin/Lenin/Hitler and Mussolini. I'm hoping Hitler won't come up as there's about ten different Qs they could ask (propaganda, Hitler's rse to power etc..)

Be able to write essays on the economy of Ni/Britain/Ireland/Germany during WW2 and the Soviet Economy under Lenin and Stalin.

And here's where I freak out. My teacher is leaving out large chunks of the course willy-nilly, on her own predictions of what will come up.

What we've done and done well is Parnell, Land Wars, Home Rule, Cultural Nationalism and all that - the red book. Larkin was also done, however I'll need to revise that wholly myself this month I suppose.

From the blue Dic and Democ book...We also did Mussolini, Stalin and Hitler... however we didn't do anything on Hitler's anti-semitism or church-state relations, really, just about his rise to power, control of media, foreign policy etc. She also just completely skipped Lenin, is that awful?

We then did the Treaty Negotiations and Economic War stuff in the green Sovereignty and Partition book, which I personally don't feel we or I have covered well at all. Any guidance there would be great.

Adding to that, we have done from the yellow American documents book is basically just the Vietnam War (escalation, involvement, withdrawl, LBJ), and the Boycotts, with lesser emphasis on the Moon Landings. However that is ALL we did from that book, and from skimming it myself I see a bit is left out.

Now, really, I'm freaked out because you're mentioning Eucharistic Councils and Northern Ireland - neither of which I know ANYTHING about. I see NI and Unionists coming up, and we simply haven't covered this. From what I have done, do you think I am alright? Will I always have another option to avoid these essays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

gaybitch wrote: »
    And here's where I freak out. My teacher is leaving out large chunks of the course willy-nilly, on her own predictions of what will come up.

What we've done and done well is Parnell, Land Wars, Home Rule, Cultural Nationalism and all that - the red book. Larkin was also done, however I'll need to revise that wholly myself this month I suppose.

From the blue Dic and Democ book...We also did Mussolini, Stalin and Hitler... however we didn't do anything on Hitler's anti-semitism or church-state relations, really, just about his rise to power, control of media, foreign policy etc. She also just completely skipped Lenin, is that awful?

We then did the Treaty Negotiations and Economic War stuff in the green Sovereignty and Partition book, which I personally don't feel we or I have covered well at all. Any guidance there would be great.

Adding to that, we have done from the yellow American documents book is basically just the Vietnam War (escalation, involvement, withdrawl, LBJ), and the Boycotts, with lesser emphasis on the Moon Landings. However that is ALL we did from that book, and from skimming it myself I see a bit is left out.

Now, really, I'm freaked out because you're mentioning Eucharistic Councils and Northern Ireland - neither of which I know ANYTHING about. I see NI and Unionists coming up, and we simply haven't covered this. From what I have done, do you think I am alright? Will I always have another option to avoid these essays?

For the American book what would you need to know other than the 3 documents? It is recommended that you don't study the whole book and don't waste time doing that. So your teacher was 100% correct in doing it that way. Do NOT learn anything other than the documents.

She has also covered all 3 case studies for Ireland 1870 to 1914 - Parnell, the GAA and Larkin...one will appear in June..or more than one. She's doing it right as far I can see, you get a choice of questions in the exam so you can leave out bits. It's impossible for a class to know absolutely everything. Skim-reading is pointless also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Personally, I'm studying:

Topic 3: Ireland
    1912-1921 (Sinn, Fein, Anglo-Irish Treaties (case study), Home Rule, Partition, WOI)
    Cumman NaG government.

Topic 5: Ireland
    All about Coleraine and Derry Riots.

Topic 3: European (Dictatorship and Democracy)
    Stalin Show Trials (Case Study)
    Mussolini/Hitler (mostly domestic stuff) (and I think Church state)
    Anglo american culture.

American case studies:
    Vietnam (pretty linear and easy to learn, which is great)
    Bus Boycott (I'm iffy about this.)

Plus, today I sent off my RSR! Done and dusted. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

would it be hard to get 60% in history ....but not including the project :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Brooke01 wrote: »
    would it be hard to get 60% in history ....but not including the project :confused:

Of course not.... just aslong as you put the effort in. Theres no point in going through trying to cram in all of the course. The best way to study for LC History is to just make out essays plans for some possible essays that might occur in the specific topics you've chosen.

For example, with the soverignty & partition one, you could try preparing something on why Sinn Fein did so well in the 1918 elections or how C na G handled the free state post 1922. Make some bullet points for each paragraph you'd talk about and try to learn as much key info as possible for them.

Best of luck!!

I find Movements for Reform the easiest to revise, it's pretty easy to look over the land question, home rule, cultural nationalism and trade unionism movements in an essay-style way. Ditto for Hitler/Mussolini/Stalin, and Vietnam/Moon/Montgomery.

BUT, I'm doing the green book - Sov and Partition - and I find it impossible to get a grasp onto anything after the Treaty Negotiations. Any tips?

And I'm still kind of freaked out that I don't have anything on Lenin or bits and pieces of Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

deise_boi wrote: »
    Of course not.... just aslong as you put the effort in. Theres no point in going through trying to cram in all of the course. The best way to study for LC History is to just make out essays plans for some possible essays that might occur in the specific topics you've chosen.

For example, with the soverignty & partition one, you could try preparing something on why Sinn Fein did so well in the 1918 elections or how C na G handled the free state post 1922. Make some bullet points for each paragraph you'd talk about and try to learn as much key info as possible for them.

Best of luck!!

Thnx for the help, my history teacher is just making us learn all of the Irish and world history again. No tips or no short cuts at all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

We are looking at the Rise of Sinn Féin, The Economy from 1923-45 and The Eucharistic Congress and the 1916 Rising(but I ain't touchin' it, it has to be the most boring hape o' crap ever!).
    Keep doing notes and essays and you'll be flying it!

• Advertisement

God, no, the Economic War has to be the most boring topic in history ever... "Oh, no, not A TAX ON OUR COWS!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

dip wrote: »
    You know for certain that one of the 3 U.S. case studies is coming up. My guess is Vietnam or Montgomery, The Moon Landings seem a bit easy for higher level, and both teachers in my school agree.
    :eek: The moonlandings is the hardest case study in the modern america section!!! It's incredibly boring aswell as containing loads of information about missiles, pc's etc. :rolleyes:

Montgomery Bus Boycott is the easiest, followed by the Vietnam War in my opinion as they are very interesting.

History is 100 times easier to study when you are learning about interesting things and things in which you find interesting.

Reading up extra information on the internet for example makes things on your course which may seem boring etc seem interesting as you can get more of a back ground and some interesting facts that aren't in your books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Casserine

Personally, I think History is one of the most enjoyable subjects to study in. It's certainly not easy, but that's due to the sheer bulk of the course rather than the difficulty in understanding concepts, in my opinion. I'm really interested in history, especially 20th century history, so I enjoy studying it. It's a good idea to read extra texts, if you can spare the time of course!

Advertisement