Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well not big fan of la liga but i am watching news and games from time to time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

CorkMan wrote: »
    Casillas showed he is the best goalie in the world once against last night, pure inspiration!

100% agree with this. Pulled off 2 unbelievable saves in the first half (including the way he deflected the peno over the bar with his elbow) and got down really well in the second half to make a save from a close range header. He's the main reason that Madrid will win the league this season imho. He's pulled off some unbelievable saves to keep Madrid in games this season that they eventually went on to win or draw, when they should have been 2 or 3-0 down. Robinho and Raul have been very good aswell.

I heard Chelsea giving Essien in return for Robinho and Drente i think Real Madrid is insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Buffon is officialy the best keeper in the world and right so. and hes got 9-10 years left at being the no.1.

Well everyone would discuss about that whos the best,i think right now noone is so good to be the first one and best one,theres a lot of good goalkeepers at the moment and everyone would choose different one as best one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Buffon is officialy the best keeper in the world and right so. and hes got 9-10 years left at being the no.1.

Would like to see him with Reals defence in front of him including officialy the best defender in the world Cannavaro. :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

Juve have a crap defence this season and he probably is worth 15-20 pts to Juve this season. thats alot! a hell of alot more than what Casillas is worth.

Mellberg and a few more defenders coming this summer so he will be alot better off next season and with sissoko playing amazing as dmc too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Casillas is the most shot at keeper in la liga... Yet one of the best defensive records in la liga... Enough said. Ramos and Casillas are the only players I'd be happy to wear the Barcelona jersey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I heard Chelsea giving Essien in return for Robinho and Drente i think Real Madrid is insane
    I think that would be insane on Chelsea's part and can never see it happening, Essien for me is one of the best CMs in the world at the moment, and if they wanted Robinho they have the money to buy him. Don't see why they would want Drenthe with Joe Cole in such good form, back up in the form of Malouda.

I hate hearing so many rumours of swap deals, they rarely if ever happen

• Advertisement

Acctually its not Chelsea who wants swap but Real.I heard they offered Robinho and Drente for Essien and Chelsea refused offer,although i would accept it,sheesh Robinho is great + Drente who will be good if he gets more chances to play,Real is really weird sometimes,and they really are annoying to me with things like,we want to have all players,thats why i hate this club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Congrats to champions-elect Real Madrid. Not as enthralling as last season's title win but far more convincing. Player of the season would be Casillas or Raul with Ramos not far behind.

Interestingly they have the choice of winning it away from home this weekend which would see the Barca team form a guard of honour for them at their next home game, or lose this weekend then beat Barcelona to claim the title. Either way, it'll be a humbling experience for Barcelona.

If Robinho goes to Arsenal then Wenger will undoubtedly turn him into the best player in the world which he was touted to be pre-Madrid.

I don't remember ever being that disappointed in a football game, not even when losing the title last year to Madrid on the head to head. Or the countless years in the shadows of Valencia and Madrid. And u know what set it off? It wasnt that we didnt reach the final. It was seeing rijkaard with tears in his eyes. He knows his time is up at barcelona. I dont care what anyone says, barcelona meant everything to him. Ive been his biggest critic, and Ive called for his head on numerous occasions, but it was nice to see that he genuinely cared. He will go down forever in Barca history as one of our greatest managers, assembling one of the best attacking trio's the world has seen. Thank you for all the great moments Frank, it was a rollercoaster ride, and you have ushered in a new era in FC Barcelona's history.

The irony of it all is that its on nights like this when I feel the most proud to be a cule. When all the glory hunters have been sifted out and only true fans remain. Maybe its blind faith or rose-tinted spectacles or whatever, but i thought we showed belief tonight. Deco has been getting so much stick, but he was inches away from the top corner on 2 occasions, if he had scored either he would be revered as a hero. Thats the margins in football at this level though.

Sadly it feels the end of the Barca chapter for a number of players, including Ronaldinho, Ezquerro, Zambrotta, Oleguer, Edmilson, Thuram and maybe even Deco/Etoo/Gudjohnsen.

We need the following things;

-A back up for Toure, who can play alongside him in tough away games. A player like Poulsen for example.

-Victor Valdes I think gets a little too much stick, he is not excellent, but he is ok, what we need is a young keeper that can put pressure on him from time to time, and get experience in the Copa Del Rei.

-Lahm/ Alves, with the departure of Zambrotta and Oleguer, we need 2 new RB's if they both go. Personally, I would prefer to see Zambrotta stay as he could once again become the best RB in the world under a good tactical minded coach like Lippi or Mourinho.

-We definitely need another CB, someone that can alternate between Marquez/ Puyol/ Milito in injury times. Whether thats Garay or Pique or someone completely different remains to be seen.

-This Barcelona attack REALLY misses the old Deco, he was the heart of the attack running from box to box, taking pot shots that deflected, and generally was a nuisance to the opposition when defending. There is not many players I can think of that can do this, perhaps Diego.

-With the departure of Ronnie (sniff), there are two options available. We could try to sign another left LW like Silva from Valencia. Or we could be more inclined to go for 4-4-2 and try to sign another good up and coming CF, Benzema could definitely be signed if we wanted. If Etoo leaves, we HAVE to sign an accomplished striker like Diego Milito or David Villa. This is only a worst case scenario though.

Hopefully this defeat will make the club stronger, and next year with a fresh approach we can fight once again in all 3 competitions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was really surprised at how **** Eto was last night. IMO Barca needed a couple of things last night.

First off, they needed better full backs. Zambrotta was good but I understand he's off. They need an Evra or a Clichy.

They need cover for Yaya, no doubt about that. But Yaya is something else.

Milito imo is an amazing defender, and Puyol isn't bad. However they don't complement each other well. In order to really step up that defence, I think they need somebody in the Ferdinaind mould, a reader of the game with a bit of pace. Pique might work but he lacks the pace [that said I think he's certainly on his way this summer]

IMO the most important thing you need is a box to box midfielder. Somebody who will take the team and drive it forward in the Essien mould.

You poo. You just summarised everyone of my arguments... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

eZe^ wrote: »
    I don't remember ever being that disappointed in a football game, not even when losing the title last year to Madrid on the head to head. Or the countless years in the shadows of Valencia and Madrid. And u know what set it off? It wasnt that we didnt reach the final. It was seeing rijkaard with tears in his eyes. He knows his time is up at barcelona. I dont care what anyone says, barcelona meant everything to him. Ive been his biggest critic, and Ive called for his head on numerous occasions, but it was nice to see that he genuinely cared. He will go down forever in Barca history as one of our greatest managers, assembling one of the best attacking trio's the world has seen. Thank you for all the great moments Frank, it was a rollercoaster ride, and you have ushered in a new era in FC Barcelona's history.

The irony of it all is that its on nights like this when I feel the most proud to be a cule. When all the glory hunters have been sifted out and only true fans remain. Maybe its blind faith or rose-tinted spectacles or whatever, but i thought we showed belief tonight. Deco has been getting so much stick, but he was inches away from the top corner on 2 occasions, if he had scored either he would be revered as a hero. Thats the margins in football at this level though.

Sadly it feels the end of the Barca chapter for a number of players, including Ronaldinho, Ezquerro, Zambrotta, Oleguer, Edmilson, Thuram and maybe even Deco/Etoo/Gudjohnsen.

-A back up for Toure, who can play alongside him in tough away games. A player like Poulsen for example.

-Victor Valdes I think gets a little too much stick, he is not excellent, but he is ok, what we need is a young keeper that can put pressure on him from time to time, and get experience in the Copa Del Rei.

-Lahm/ Alves, with the departure of Zambrotta and Oleguer, we need 2 new RB's if they both go. Personally, I would prefer to see Zambrotta stay as he could once again become the best RB in the world under a good tactical minded coach like Lippi or Mourinho.

-We definitely need another CB, someone that can alternate between Marquez/ Puyol/ Milito in injury times. Whether thats Garay or Pique or someone completely different remains to be seen.

-This Barcelona attack REALLY misses the old Deco, he was the heart of the attack running from box to box, taking pot shots that deflected, and generally was a nuisance to the opposition when defending. There is not many players I can think of that can do this, perhaps Diego.

-With the departure of Ronnie (sniff), there are two options available. We could try to sign another left LW like Silva from Valencia. Or we could be more inclined to go for 4-4-2 and try to sign another good up and coming CF, Benzema could definitely be signed if we wanted. If Etoo leaves, we HAVE to sign an accomplished striker like Diego Milito or David Villa. This is only a worst case scenario though.

Hopefully this defeat will make the club stronger, and next year with a fresh approach we can fight once again in all 3 competitions...

Barca is a diamond of a club, i have always had a soft spot for them every since visiting the Nou camp back in the 90's.

Obviously there is alot of change to come for the team during the summer but i think they will come through it stronger. You must hang on to Xavi, Inniesta, Toure and Messi (No problem there) and you must replace Ronnie, Eto, Deco and Zambrotta. Please dont buy Lahm as i want him at Utd.

How about a swap deal, Saha for Eto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You poo. You just summarised everyone of my arguments... :pac:

:) it seems we're in agreement.

One thing I want to get out there is. Barcelona do NOT have a bad defense, infact, man for man, they have one of the best defenses in world football. The problem is that the midfield is tactically unaware of whats required of them defensively, so our first line of defense is also our last, the back 4.

Refer to the famous Galacticos era at Madrid, they crashed and burned despite having arguably the best midfielders/ attack ever assembled in one team. Why is this? Because none of midfielders bothered to help the defense once Makelele left.

Its evident, when you see Puyol, Milito, Zambrotta, Abidal, Marquez, and even Thuram play for the national side, they are absolute rocks, fantastic defenders. Then they come back 3 days later and lost 3-2 to Betis. The midfield has zero tactical awareness, they just push forward and leave it to the beaver to nullify the oppositions attacking threat, in modern football this is where the game is won and lost. Toure in the only one that gets stuck in, but thats because thats his role, he can be more of CMF, like Vieira, but thanks to laziness of our other midfielders, he is restricted to being the screen for the back 4.

Perhaps Puyol and Milito do not compliment each other as they are so similar, but this shouldn't lead to a the number of leaked goals that we have this season alone. Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, and Messi NEVER help out the defense for more than 10 minutes a game. And by helping out the defense, I dont meant tracking back to retrieve stolen balls, but to put pressure on the oppositions midfield and rob the ball back in oppositions half. This type of the defense means that on alot of occasions the back 4 doesn't need to waste energy and try to make that last ditch challenge that could result in a goal.

Oh, and Yaya Toure will become the best DMF in the world if he keeps going the way he's going.

How about a swap deal, Saha for Eto?

No lie, I'd rather eat my own face. I actually wouldn't swap Ezquerro for Saha. And seeing as you're not a Barca fan, I doubt you even know who the great Ezquerro is... Hahahahah...

I feel the one player that could change Barca is Anderson at United. He is the perfect box to box midfielder that we need. Sure he needs to polish his shooting, passing, general footballing brain, but that will come with experience of playing with the top players in the top leagues week in week out. Rijkaard you fool, you really missed the boat when you pulled out of signing this boy. Now go buy Diego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Quality post. I love Real Madrid but still have a soft spot for Barca at times. I feel really sorry for Rijkaard now and Xavi whom I thought was immense. Whatever you guys do, don't go for Mourinho! He'll make everyone hate Barca.

Real Madrid And QPR Strike Deal

Real Madrid have signed a co-operation agreement with Queens Park Rangers to swap rising stars and reserve team players thanks to the friendship between the two clubs' supremos.
    Los Merengues' president Ramón Calderón knows the Hoops' co-owner and Formula One giant Flavio Briatore and watched a game at Loftus Road last month as a VIP guest.

The west London outfit are on the rise after being taken over by the Italian and Bernie Ecclestone, and all three were due to meet at the Catalan Grand Prix on Sunday.

After very amicable talks, a deal was struck between the two clubs to send promising yougnsters to each other in a bid to give them a different education in the game and a cultural experience.

"QPR can be an important showcase for young players who are at Real Madrid, the same arrangement we have with Chelsea and Manchester United," Briatore said.

Madrid would allow the Hoops first refusal to take up and coming stars of their youth system on loan as well as borrowing any first team players that are not being given a game.

Queens Park Rangers are currently in the English Championship, but an injection of talent from Madrid could help their drive to make a return to the top flight for the first time since 1996.

Another extremely clever move... QPR have the richest owners in football now. The amount of talent Madrid have coming through the ranks can actually attract big name recognition in the premiership, when they go out on loan. Now even if Madrid dont get to use those players, they can attract more lucrative fees from the likes of middlesborough, aston villa, pompey, for average players that the standard liga club wouldnt afford thanks to the premierships influx of moneysssssss!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

goal.com reports that Valencia have had to pull out of a deal to bring Marcelino in as their new manager due to financial troubles. I can't help but rub my hands with glee at news like this. While a lot of their squad are living off their reputations, there are some players of real quality who will likely be on the move this summer as a result of their troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I feel the one player that could change Barca is Anderson at United. He is the perfect box to box midfielder that we need. Sure he needs to polish his shooting, passing, general footballing brain, but that will come with experience of playing with the top players in the top leagues week in week out.

You stay the hell away from Anderson, YOU HEAR ME!?:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

:) ha

goal.com reports that Valencia have had to pull out of a deal to bring Marcelino in as their new manager due to financial troubles. I can't help but rub my hands with glee at news like this. While a lot of their squad are living off their reputations, there are some players of real quality who will likely be on the move this summer as a result of their troubles.

i read it was Marcelino that pulled out when Valencia made the approach public, as there had been an agreement to keep it secret - apparently Valencia still want him as the next coach; but need to do some serious bridge building. Manzano or whatever his name is at Mallorca is second choice, apparently

Barcelona just smashed a dejected Valencia by 6-0... Two from Bojan, Henry and one from Xavi and Messi gave Barca a nice bit of momentum going into the Classico. Madrid play Osasuna tonight and could wrap up the title meaning Barca have to give them the guard of honour..

Im pretty chuffed, nice bounce back after Tuesdays disappointments. Next thing to look forward to is the biggest club game in the world!! Even though there's nothing riding on it, It's always nice to beat the Blanco's in their back yard... :D

Valencia is terrible,are they under some drugs or what is with them all the season,can someone wake them?They need to fight like hell in last 3 rounds to avoid relegation

Madrid have won La Liga... Beating Osasuna 2-1 away from home. They were down to 10 men, conceded a goal with 7 minutes to go, and then out of nowhere scored 2 in a matter of minutes, that feels exactly like last seasons Madrid... Fair play to them, deserved champions.

Looks like Barca will be giving them the guard of honour afterall. Balls... This is a pretty lowpoint in the clubs history... :(

Looks like Barca will be giving them the guard of honour afterall. Balls... This is a pretty lowpoint in the clubs history... :(

funny tho :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    funny tho :D

kdjac

Where's Sevilla again? Oh ya, rotting it out in UEFA cup places... :D:D:D:D

Guiza has overtaken Luis Fabiano for the Pichichi, exciting stuff!

his La Liga was an extremely disappointing one. Maybe just in comparison to the last one, with Seville, Barca and Madrid all capable of winning on the final day. All those crazy Madrid comebacks, Barcelona collapses and everything to go with it. Back when Valencia and Zaragoza actually challenged for top 4 places!!! Seems so long ago now, it seems like this la liga lacked the excitement and passion, Madrid have won this league because of their excellent 1st half of the season. I don't know if La Liga will have a very strong showing in the CL next year, all the top 4 are too inconsistent, and with Italy's CL 4 being back to full strength, it may be a bumpy season for Spanish teams in the CL. Lets hope it's not the case though, or else SKY will have a field day proclaiming how s*it Spain is in comparison to the EPL.

Fairplay to Madrid though.... Deserved champions

Where's Sevilla again? Oh ya, rotting it out in UEFA cup places... :D:D:D:D

Guiza has overtaken Luis Fabiano for the Pichichi, exciting stuff!

Oddly Sevilla dont need any players just a new manager, how many million will barca/real spend buying Sevillas players?

tis all ching ching, 2 youth players played last night and getting blooded for the departures of Capel and Alves and possibly Fabiano. Navarro should be fully fit in next few weeks. Not a bad season considering......

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Oddly Sevilla dont need any players just a new manager, how many million will barca/real spend buying Sevillas players?

tis all ching ching, 2 youth players played last night and getting blooded for the departures of Capel and Alves and possibly Fabiano. Navarro should be fully fit in next few weeks. Not a bad season considering......

kdjac

Considering Racing Santander are ahead... Sevilla should have been challenging for the title and you know it! The fact that they are a selling club means Barca/ Real/ Chelsea will buy from them. Nothing wrong with that.

I personally don't think Barca need to strenghten too much, as they have all the ingredients for a great side, maybe a new back up keeper and a replacement for Thuram. A new hard ass manager should have the side back challenging.. Although thats not likely to happen, it will probably be another revolution like Laporta's appointment. Not my fault though.

• Advertisement

Considering Racing Santander are ahead... Sevilla should have been challenging for the title and you know it! The fact that they are a selling club means Barca/ Real/ Chelsea will buy from them. Nothing wrong with that.

Would imagine Puerta dying on the pitch and losing 5 games on the spin after it then Ramos leaving pretty much ended their season by october. They will sell but repalce with better for a fraction of the price.

Jimenez was the right choice but only at the time, longterm he will go back to the youths and B side and a new manager will come in, once its not Koeman they be fine

kdjac

Haven't been that active due to major crammage for college exams, but there's alot of rumours going around at the moment.

Apparently Inter want to buy Etoo for 40 million... Doubt he'll be sold if Guardiola can be a tough guy.

Lucho Gonzalez and Benzema are again being heavily linked with the club. Its also looking likely that both Lahm and Alves will be signed if Zambrotta decides to leave. Poulsen is also being heavily linked with the club, and one CB out of Pique/ Collocini/ Amorebieta.

That means that with Thuram, Zambrotta, Ronaldinho, Jorquera and maybe Deco leaving, next years team could look;

For tough away games;
    Valdes

--Lahm
    Puyol
    Amorebieta----Abidal--

Poulsen----Toure

---Messi
    Lucho
    Iniesta

Etoo/ Benzema

Comfortable games;

Valdes

--Alves
    Puyol
    Amorebieta----Abidal---

Toure

----Messi
    Lucho
    Iniesta---

Etoo
    Benzema

Nice backups in nearly all positions too, Milito, Marquez, Sylvinho, Gudjohnsen, Henry, Bojan, Giovanni, Xavi.

Haven't been that active due to major crammage for college exams, but there's alot of rumours going around at the moment.

Apparently Inter want to buy Etoo for 40 million... Doubt he'll be sold if Guardiola can be a tough guy.

Lucho Gonzalez and Benzema are again being heavily linked with the club. Its also looking likely that both Lahm and Alves will be signed if Zambrotta decides to leave. Poulsen is also being heavily linked with the club, and one CB out of Pique/ Collocini/ Amorebieta.

That means that with Thuram, Zambrotta, Ronaldinho, Jorquera and maybe Deco leaving, next years team could look.

I'm sorry but I have to lol at that bolded bit! Not a chance in hell Barça are going to sign both. The Alves signing seems to be a done deal from what I've heard, so there's no chance Lahm will come along, especially not as a back-up full back. That, and Barça aren't going to spend €35+million on 2 right backs.

Not sure about what's instore for Eto'o but there's no doubting his class. Injuries have effected him badly over the past couple of years but I still see him as one of the best strikers in the world. It all depends on whether or not Guardiola wants to get rid of those he sees as bad influences in the dressing-room and wipe the slate clean. As well as your list, I think Gudjohnsen is gone in the summer aswell. It just hasn't worked out for him in Spain (:p) and there are definitely a few Premiership clubs that'd be interested in him. I still think Xavi's absolutely class aswell and certainly wouldn't be dropping him for Poulsen! Himself and Touré sitting infront of the back four could really compliment each other. His range of passing and ability on the ball make him an ideal deep-lying playmaker if that's what you're going for.

Anyway, Rijkaard's main problem was that he never had a plan B. I've only seen Barça really get dominated 3 times this season, twice against Real and once against Atletico. Most of the games that they drew and lost were like the United game. They had lots of possession with little to show for it. and ended up conceding a sloppy goal. They were just too predictable up front and any team that had their homework done defended well against the front 3. When it wasn't going Barça's way, Rijkaard changed personnel rather than tactics. That, imo, was Barça's biggest failing this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Heard Sevillas Luis Fabiano is off to United??
    Any of you La Liga buffs know if theres any truth in it?

An Citeog wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I have to lol at that bolded bit! Not a chance in hell Barça are going to sign both. The Alves signing seems to be a done deal from what I've heard, so there's no chance Lahm will come along, especially not as a back-up full back. That, and Barça aren't going to spend €35+million on 2 right backs.

Not sure about what's instore for Eto'o but there's no doubting his class. Injuries have effected him badly over the past couple of years but I still see him as one of the best strikers in the world. It all depends on whether or not Guardiola wants to get rid of those he sees as bad influences in the dressing-room and wipe the slate clean. As well as your list, I think Gudjohnsen is gone in the summer aswell. It just hasn't worked out for him in Spain (:p) and there are definitely a few Premiership clubs that'd be interested in him. I still think Xavi's absolutely class aswell and certainly wouldn't be dropping him for Poulsen! Himself and Touré sitting infront of the back four could really compliment each other. His range of passing and ability on the ball make him an ideal deep-lying playmaker if that's what you're going for.

Anyway, Rijkaard's main problem was that he never had a plan B. I've only seen Barça really get dominated 3 times this season, twice against Real and once against Atletico. Most of the games that they drew and lost were like the United game. They had lots of possession with little to show for it. and ended up conceding a sloppy goal. They were just too predictable up front and any team that had their homework done defended well against the front 3. When it wasn't going Barça's way, Rijkaard changed personnel rather than tactics. That, imo, was Barça's biggest failing this season.

I guarantee Barca will buy 2 RB's if they sell Zambrotta, personally I'd like to see him stay, but with a mass exodus on the cards I'd say his missus will make him leave. Reports say Alves' price has dropped to around 18 million.

Another DMF needs to be brought in at the expense of Xavi or Iniesta for tough away games in my opinion. Both Poulsen and Toure have excellent vision and passing in comparison to your modern DMF iswell.

Id also personally like to keep Etoo here and not buy another striker unless Henry goes. I don't like that everyone is calling for Henry's head despite him only getting one season, he should be allowed prove himself at least once more, and with a new era coming he may reinvent himself ala Raul.

Rijkaards main problem was that he had no defensive tactics, it meant that teams could park 11 people behind the ball and hope to get a lucky break that might end up in a goal because of a completely ****ty defensive system. You say Atletico dominated Barca in that 4-2 win, its true, but it should have NEVER happened, as Barca dominated them for 30 minutes and went 1-0 up... What caused that, a bad defensive set up, the 4-3-3 is a bit of the problem, but the fact that we have no defensive tactics mean that teams gain confidence in their own ability to score a goal.

I dont want to see too many people go out and too many come in, hopefully only 5 out 5 in kinda thing. But if Guardiola goes crazy, I can think of up to 9 people that could potentially be gone... That is going overboard, just cut out the dead weight and then most of the players can be saved once they realise he won't take any sh*t.

KERPAL wrote: »
    Heard Sevillas Luis Fabiano is off to United??
    Any of you La Liga buffs know if theres any truth in it?

Afaik, it's all just speculation at the moment. He's been very good for Sevilla over these past couple of seasons but as a United fan, I'm not sure he'd be the right player to bring in. I just can't put my finger on exactly why! Anyway, despite what some people may think, he certainly wouldn't come cheap. Sevilla are like the Spanish Lyon. They buy players cheaply/produce them themselves and sell them off for a large profit. They're not in dire need of cash, so they can easily hold out for better offers, particularly for the second highest scorer in La Liga this season.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Afaik, it's all just speculation at the moment. He's been very good for Sevilla over these past couple of seasons but as a United fan, I'm not sure he'd be the right player to bring in. I just can't put my finger on exactly why! Anyway, despite what some people may think, he certainly wouldn't come cheap. Sevilla are like the Spanish Lyon. They buy players cheaply/produce them themselves and sell them off for a large profit. They're not in dire need of cash, so they can easily hold out for better offers, particularly for the second highest scorer in La Liga this season.

from what i have read he either has a really low buy out clause, or has some weird 3rd party ownership that means he would come cheap. I don't know if either case is true, but i have heard them quite a bit - especially the low buy out clause bit.

Well, Sevilla only own 35% of Fabiano, his representatives and an investment group own the rest of him. He has a 60 million euro buy out clause iswell.

I guarantee Barca will buy 2 RB's if they sell Zambrotta, personally I'd like to see him stay, but with a mass exodus on the cards I'd say his missus will make him leave. Reports say Alves' price has dropped to around 18 million.

I'm not disputing that point. All I'm saying is that Alves and Lahm are 2 of the most sought after/best full backs in world football and a)Barça/Guardiola/Laporta couldn't justify the cost of both of them for one position and b)I don't see the 2 of them coming to Barça to fight for one spot.
    eZe^ wrote:
    Another DMF needs to be brought in at the expense of Xavi or Iniesta for tough away games in my opinion. Both Poulsen and Toure have excellent vision and passing in comparison to your modern DMF iswell.

True, but there's just something about Poulsen that I don't like. I don't see the need for 2 destroyers in midfield either and think it'd take a lot away from Barça's passing game. I'd love to see Javi Martínez at Barça. He's a quality young player!
    eZe^ wrote:
    Id also personally like to keep Etoo here and not buy another striker unless Henry goes. I don't like that everyone is calling for Henry's head despite him only getting one season, he should be allowed prove himself at least once more, and with a new era coming he may reinvent himself ala Raul.

It's not that people aren't willing to give him it chance, it's more the rumours about him being unsettled in Spain and wanting to move back to London to be closer to his daughter. He hasn't set the world alight this season but he has shown his class at various times. If he gets his head right, he could be huge for Barça next season.

• Advertisement

Barcelona are 1 up against Mallorca, Henry again, nice to see the players willing to give Frank a nice send off in his final home game. Loads of banners around thanking Frank for the past 5 seasons. I just want the fans to show their appreciation for the great man and give him the send off he deserves.

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1985855

1-1 in the Madrid Zaragoza game, very very very good game, so open, lots of nice attacking moves..

2-2, Etoo from a rebound. He smashes the ball into the net twice after scoring because of the disrespect the Camp Nou fans are showing him. Booing him everytime he gets the ball, this is ridiculous, Ill be so pissed off if he leaves because of these fickle fickle fans....Only an idiot could whistle at Etoo. He always gives everything. Mark my words we`ll see them whistle at Messi in a year or two, or as soon as he has a mediocre season, Im getting so angry at these fans. Booing an 18 year old kid now? I must admit Camp Nou fans make me sick sometimes. At least Rijkaard is getting cheers everytime he leaves the dugout.

Wow, its great to see how active this thread has been while I've been away doing exams, don't all rush to voice your opinions on La Liga all at once lads, nobody will be able to keep up!!!!!!

Seeing as I haven't really been active since before the classico;

That was the week that was. Perhaps it's better to begin on that note, rather than open this column with anything too obvious. Well... ok, here it is. It's been a bad week for Barcelona. In fact it's been eight bad weeks, from which they've picked up the measly quantity of six points - relegation form in statistical fact.

But life's like that in the fast lane of Spanish football, and when either of the big two falls from the heights to which they are accustomed, they fall hard. When they do, the other is normally exultant, floating on the perfumed breeze of some other vibe altogether. It's the yin and yang of La Liga, a dance of opposites which has been firmly in place since the beginning of time - or competitive Spanish football, which is pretty much the same thing. And there is no mercy shown in the dance, because the victor - in this case Real Madrid - know that their dog days will come again. It's a cyclical fact of football life, and so you make hay while the sun shines - you enjoy the moment and you make sure Barça's suffering is as acute as possible.

The shame of the whole business is that Frank Rijkaard, a decent man if ever there was one, has had to watch on impotently as his five-year project, already bumping along on flat tyres, finally stuttered to a complete halt in the Bernabéu. As if that wasn't bad enough, someone came along and set the vehicle alight on the following Sunday evening in the Camp Nou, when his farewell to the fans ended in a 2-3 defeat to the excellent Mallorca, who were 2-0 down at one stage.

Rijkaard deserves better. He shares some of the blame, of course, but in the end you can take some horses to water, but only some of them will drink. Barça's sudden decline, after two glorious seasons during which they were playing the best football on the planet and winning trophies too, is - like Valencia's parallel descent - a lesson in the virtues of man-management. For it doesn't matter how much technical quality you assemble in a squad of players, if they don't get on with each other (Valencia) or if the main characters in the group are loose cannons and/or lacking self-discipline (Barça), the party just won't last.

Rijkaard came to Barcelona with nothing much on his management CV, save a premature resignation from the Dutch national side and a relegation with Sparta Rotterdam. Laporta was taking a risk with him, but as with so many of his risks, he came up trumps. After a dodgy start, the side took runners-up in his first season and then cleared out the old guard as a consequence. Deco, Eto'o and Marquez arrived to complement the astonishing skills of Ronaldinho, and the only way was up.

What was most impressive about Rijkaard was that he never got carried away in victory, and rarely sulked or complained in defeat. For a while this confused the Spanish press, who took it to mean that he was some sort of softie. In a culture in which he who shouts the loudest generally gets the plaudits, Rijkaard's calm and collected press conferences, given in Spanish almost from the beginning, were viewed with suspicion in certain areas, as if here was a man without 'cojones', a defeatist who was far too generous to the enemy.

In the end, of course, the enemy was within. The Dutchman's tendency to indulge certain players' reluctance to train hard, or their tendency to arrive back late from international matches, backfired in the end. As with a decent teacher who has knowledge and kindness to spare, the kids took advantage of the fact that the classroom discipline was nevertheless lacking. Two leagues and a Champions Cup notwithstanding, in the final analysis his president, Joan Laporta, pointed the finger in Rijkaard's direction last week, in a press conference which revealed a lack of self-criticism and a lot of cowardice - two qualities that this president will be remembered for, if he goes sooner rather than later.

History suggests that when the fans turn, there is no way back for a Barcelona president. The fans' applauding of Rijkaard before the kick-off against Mallorca and the abundance of posters conveying their support for him, were ample evidence that Laporta's days are numbered. The best one of all was, in fact, 'Ronaldinho for President', but even the smiling Brazilian was unable to stand the latest game for the whole ninety minutes, sloping off home from up in the stands when Mallorca equalised. At least he was spared the sight of Dani Güiza, now Spain's top scorer, popping in the winner and running across to the cinder-track that may be his home next year, if the rumours are to be believed. A Barcelona reject, how ironic, on a day when Samuel Eto'o, once of Mallorca, probably played his final game for the club, that Güiza should hammer home the final nail into the coffin of the present regime.

Eto'o scored Barça's second goal, but he looked none too pleased about it. He tends never to celebrate scoring against his ex-team (Real Madrid are exempted from this policy) and anyway, up to that semi-sepulchral moment, he had been booed by the home fans every time he touched the ball, as had Deco. Both these players are seen as major culprits in the present crisis, and will almost certainly be outward bound in the summer sales. Both players were accused of deliberately forcing yellow cards in the game against Valencia, so as to miss the Bernabéu game and the tortuous 'tunnel' - not to mention the 4-1 thrashing. Eto'o, originally brought from Africa by Real, invoked the curse of the Bernabéu when he sang during the celebrations of Barça's title in 2005, 'Madrid, cabrón, Saluda al campeon!' (Madrid - you bastards, salute the Champions) from the microphone at the official civic reception.

Amusing though this was, even the Barça fans were vaguely embarrassed, given that it was a gesture too far, an overstepping of the mark that revealed Eto'o's misunderstanding of Spanish society - or his lack of desire to really come into line with it. You can be competitive, you can even be nasty - but in Spain you must never reveal 'una falta de educación' (a lack of manners). It's a weird template in a country so basically anti-authoritarian, but you have to understand it to have any chance of lasting here.

Rijkaard was a masterful exponent of 'educación', but he was unable to instil the same qualities in Eto'o. In the final analysis, Eto'o lost credibility in the eyes of the fans by showing cowardice - not something he had been known for in the past. It was as if he was through with the whole thing, as if he no longer cared. The only thing he wanted to avoid was the chant 'Eto'o cabrón, Saluda al campeón' as he stepped onto the Bernabéu turf. Deco wasn't too keen either, and seemed to opt for the same policy. But the fans have never really taken to Deco. Too cold a fish for some, and for others the true Brutus with the dagger.

As further proof of the whole mess that Barça has become, the players had apparently planned to wear white t-shirts in homage to the stricken Gabi Milito, injured and out for several months. This would also have had the effect of lessening the colour contrast between the two teams, as Madrid took the pitch to be applauded through the 'tunnel' by Barça. Mindful of the fact that pictures of the event would be sold as posters and that they will still be on sale in Madrid in 50 years' time, the players - or some of them - hatched the plot. Laporta, to his credit, heard of the plan just in time and ran down to the changing-rooms where he allegedly screamed the following: 'Take those f*****g shirts off now and pay homage to Madrid as the law lays down. Try and show a bit of the dignity that's been lacking in your play all season!' So taken aback were the players by Laporta's attack and so aware were they of their own stupidity, that the first half saw them overrun, after which it just got worse.

Laporta's idea to save his own ass has been to announce the promotion of Pep Guardiola from the management of Barcelona ´B', with whom he has done a good job in his debut season. Guardiola is, like Rijkaard before him, an intelligent and decent chap who knows his football. However, unlike the Dutchman he is a club icon from his playing days, and is a major figure in the whole politico-cultural scene in Barcelona. You can see his appointment in two ways. Either it's a shameless piece of pragmatism of Laporta's, covering the cracks by bringing in the local hero - a hero who is nevertheless relatively unproven as a manager, or it's a stroke of genius because it is the right policy in times of crisis - namely go back to roots and to further 'Catalinise' the club, appealing to popular culture on the surface whilst hiding the true mess within.

The fans are divided on this one, although it is difficult for them to admit any doubts about the great god Guardiola. Some fans were kind of intrigued to see what Mourinho could have made of the situation, but now it's not going to happen. And if Chelsea lose in Moscow, Rijkaard should be given the chance to see what he can do in London.

Villarreal are now ten points clear of Barça with one game to play, whilst Atlético Madrid could now overtake the Catalans for third place if the fallen giants stumble next week at relegated Murcia. Mallorca, after their brilliant comeback in the Camp Nou, can now pinch a Champions League place if they beat Zaragoza next week at home, and Racing fail to beat Osasuna. In fact the final day of the season is still an interesting one, with the distinct possibility of Zaragoza falling into the Second Division after briefly being down there for the 2002-2003 season. All this despite putting in a brave display yet only managing to draw 2-2 against Real Madrid this weekend, in a wonderful game.

Next week sees the wrapping up of a strange season, exhilarating for some and a wake-up call for others. Barcelona will want to sleep for a while, but hope that the nightmares cease. Adversity builds the character, and they can only hope to bury the negatives, take the few positives, and learn from their mistakes. Guardiola deserves a fighting chance, although I'm not so sure that Laporta does.

So lads, Barca for UEFA cup next year? Once Etoo, Deco, Ronaldinho, Edmilson, Thuram, Zambrotta and Ezqueroo leave... :rolleyes: Hahahahah, oh god, testing times a Cule up ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

eZe^, do you think Samuel Eto'o will deffinitely leave in the summer?

Archimedes wrote: »
    eZe^, do you think Samuel Eto'o will deffinitely leave in the summer?
    I'd be absolutely gutted if he left Barcelona and United didn't at least make a move for him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Tauren wrote: »
    I'd be absolutely gutted if he left Barcelona and United didn't at least make a move for him

As would I. Although I dont think United NEED a big name striker, I would certainly like one and I would be dissapointed if we didnt get one of Benzema, Eto'o or Berbatov (in that order).

Definitely? Not definitely, I hope he doesn't, but Etoo is basically a hormonal girl at times, and with the fans booing him for not manning up and giving the guard of honour to Madrid he'll make rash statements. Im just hoping he relaxes a bit and doesn't make any rash moves. If worst comes to worst, Inter are willing to pay 40 million for him, so if he has to leave, at least cash in as best as possible.

Archimedes wrote: »
    As would I. Although I dont think United NEED a big name striker, I would certainly like one and I would be dissapointed if we didnt get one of Benzema, Eto'o or Berbatov (in that order).

we don't need a big name striker, but we do need a clinical one (image how good we'd have been this season if we had a striker that could finish off 1-on-1 changes regularly...) and I think Eto'o is one of the best around.

To keep things ticking....talk that Pique has agreed terms with Barcelona and that a deal will be announced shortly after the Champions League final. Not happy about that myself, i'm a big fan of Pique and was hoping he'd get a proper chance at United - but the fact he was passed over when Vidic was injured confirmed to me he would not be at OT next season. (Maybe we could use him in a swap move for Eto'o!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

eZe^,

Please post more often.

Dani Alves to United and Eto'o to Milan?Thats latest i heard,although Milan is offering 20mil and Barca wants 40 for Eto'o.Deco also leaving the club and Mallorca is interested in one our player,Milijas,price around 2,5 mil

• Advertisement
Advertisement