Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Transfer Rumours and General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Dani Alves to United and Eto'o to Milan?Thats latest i heard,although Milan is offering 20mil and Barca wants 40 for Eto'o.Deco also leaving the club and Mallorca is interested in one our player,Milijas,price around 2,5 mil

Alves, Barcelona, Etoo, Barcelona/Inter.

e__archivo_photo_10_1_1_20080515_yba03f1.tif6.jpg

=)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Where you got that Inter,didnt heard they are interested in Eto'o

Couple of sources, including El Mundo, Sport and Goal.com

He has stated he would like to play in England though, and realistically, he'll go to a top top club, and the only club I can see willing to pay around the 35 million euro mark for him is Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Cert to go to Chelski. Drogs goes to Italy and Etoo replaces him.

Although would Barca go for Drogs???

Ok,didnt heard it,last i was reading was that Milan sent offer,just read that few minutes ago,anyway this summer looks to be more exciting than ever before judging by all the rumours till now

Well Milan and Barca were only mentioned as interested in Drogba,so i would say yes

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Although would Barca go for Drogs???

Hopefully not, Guardiola needs to build for the future, so if Etoo leaves (which I still think might not happen), then one young prospect like Benzema must be brought in, and one established enough player like Villa. Drogs is too old, this is a new era, Drogba would have been fine if it was just as a Henrik Larsson style signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

eZe^ wrote: »
    Hopefully not, Guardiola needs to build for the future, so if Etoo leaves (which I still think might not happen), then one young prospect like Benzema must be brought in, and one established enough player like Villa. Drogs is too old, this is a new era, Drogba would have been fine if it was just as a Henrik Larsson style signing.

Will the fans accept a rebuilding phase? I mean the young talent is clearly there and being brought through yet the still (from my uninformed perspective) seemed to hound of Frank...

I would have thought there is enough mid career players there to push for a title next year.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Will the fans accept a rebuilding phase? I mean the young talent is clearly there and being brought through yet the still (from my uninformed perspective) seemed to hound of Frank...

I would have thought there is enough mid career players there to push for a title next year.

Well, realistically this is a period of transition, like when Frank came in 5 seasons ago... That team was built by signing Giuly, Ronaldinho, Etoo, Larsson, etc over two season, also the emergence of Iniesta/ Messi from the youth academy and the experienced heads of Van Bommel, Puyol and Xavi.

Its quite similar to that era, we are going with a very young manager, only 37 years old.. Thuram is almost as old ffs! We will be shipping a lot of players off (which I don't agree with), and bringing in alot of new faces over the next two years. Then their is still the spine of a team that will definitely remain, Messi, Iniesta, Puyol, Valdes, Milito, Xavi and hopefully Henry (he deserves at least 2 seasons). Then through the youth academy there is Bojan, Giovanni, Crosas, and as Guardiola was the Barca B (which next season will go back to being called Barca Atletic) coach he'll be bringing up 1/2 more players and integrate them over the coming seasons.

Its vitally important that the fans stay loyal to him for one season, Rijkaard was a disaster for the first few months when he arrived, and people called for his head, but a fantastic finishing run caused us to grab 2nd place. The following 2 seasons don't even need to be mentioned. However, the fans will stay very loyal to Guardiola because he has the hero status in Catalonia. He was alot of the fans (and my) favourite ever player for the Blaugrana, was captain of the team, played during the amazing 'dream team' years, and he understands the history and culture surrounding the club more than any manager available to us. The Catalan people will no doubt give him extra learning time because he is one of our own.

I personally do not expect us to win the league/ Champions league next season, I just want to see progress, and hopefully next season you will see the rise of FCBarcelona back to the top of World football once again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

That was a really good post on the last page eZe^. Although I wouldn't really class myself as a cule, I've definitely developed a soft spot for them this year and have followed them closely. It went from an extraordinary high at the start of the season, up until around Messi's injury and then it all went wrong. That first half performance against Zaragoza back in September was one of the best I've ever seen. It was also the first time Iniesta really caught my eye and I couldn't believe how underrated he was. He's by far my favourite Barça player. Have a look at this video (particularly at what he does around the 1:30 mark) to see what I mean:

Anyway, looking towards next season. What do you think of the rumours that Guardiola is looking to add Luis Enrique to his coaching staff or even as his assistant manager? I've read it in the Spanish press and here aswell.

• Advertisement

For anybody that's interested, there's a really good documentary about Laporta and Rijkaard's first year at Barça. I really enjoyed it anyway and it's definitely worth a watch if you've got an hour and a half or so to spare.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9

An Citeog wrote: »
    For anybody that's interested, there's a really good documentary about Laporta and Rijkaard's first year at Barça. I really enjoyed it anyway and it's definitely worth a watch if you've got an hour and a half or so to spare.

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9

Fantastic post, thanks alot for that! :)

Oh god, Barca being linked with nearly every midfielder/ attacker on the market this summer... Quel disaster!! Hleb, Ribery, Benzema.... God, Benzema I'd like, but Hleb can fu*k off, the last thing we need is another player who wants to walk the ball into the net... There is no need to spend loads on Ribery either, when we've got a wealth of attacking talent for the wings at the moment..

I would also like to see Fali and Rueda integrated into the side next season... Also, Dos Santos could be a good replacement for Deco when he leaves, there is seriously no reason to buy in 6 players that are probably only just as good as the ones leaving... Out- Deco, Ronaldinho, Edmilson, Thuram and probably Zambrotta... In- Alves, 2 centre backs (one that can be employed as a DMF would be a plus) and a full back...

Last round of La liga started curent results
    70' Getafe 1 - 1 Real Betis

70' Valencia 3 - 0 Atletico Madrid

28' Mallorca 1 - 0 Zaragoza

28' Racing Santander 0 - 0 Osasuna

28' Recreativo Huelva 0 - 0 Valladolid

Is this result ok for Mallorca to go to Uefa cup or Santander need to lose?

Ok Santander won anyway and he will be playing in Uefa cup next season
    FT Getafe 1 - 1 Real Betis

FT Valencia 3 - 1 Atletico Madrid

FT Mallorca 3 - 2 Zaragoza

FT Racing Santander 1 - 0 Osasuna

FT Recreativo Huelva 1 - 1 Valladolid

40' Deportivo La Coruna 0 - 1 Villarreal

40' Espanyol 0 - 0 Almeria

40' Real Madrid 2 - 0 Levante

40' Sevilla 0 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

I actually cannot believe it... Zaragoza officially relegated... A team, that should be in the top 6 of any league in the world...

Guess its going to be a selling spree getting rid of players like Diego Milito, Oliviera, Garcia, Sergio, Ayala, Aimar, Juanfran, Gabi, Zapater and Valero...

I must join in that comment.I thought before this season when i saw players they have,they will maybe fight even for CL but without doubt they will get Uefa cup spot,i am really schocked to see they relegated at the end:(

Its very similar to Atletico Madrid getting relegated a couple of season ago even with all those stars...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

An Citeog wrote: »

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 6
    Part 7
    Part 8
    Part 9

Thats a class documentary,reminds me of the mafia all these meetings and wine drinking lol

Anyone heading over to Barcelona this summer? think Ill take a 2 week holiday there around August... Only went to El Classico this season and it made me depressed, think Ill go to a pre season game to kick start my Camp Nou cravings for the season... Think Ill either go to the Fiorentina game (30th of July), or the Gamper Cup against Boca Juniors (26th of August)... In 1984 we beat them 9-1!!! =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WjLEJ-iYNo
    Barca 9-1 Boca

Real Madrid signed Santander's player Ezequiel Garay for 9mil with option to stay in Santander next season on loan

''Osasuna / Recreativo / Valladolid

All three started the day out of the drop zone. And all three finished the day out of the drop zone, despite their best efforts.

The already knee-trembling tension was pumped up a little more for these relegation rivals on Sunday when a rainstorm over the Mallorca stadium threatened to postpone all the matches to Monday evening. However, after a one hour delay all kicked off. Some damper than others.

Aside from a nine-minute spell in the Segunda for Recreativo, all clubs lived to fight another day thanks to the failure of Zaragoza in the newly-named, 'Oh No Estadi.'

The normally hard as nails Cuco Ziganda went down a peg or two in La Liga Loca's estimations by shedding a tear in the post match press conference.

"I'm in love with life as we are in the Primera," cried the Osasuna coach. Hopefully before burning an ant or two with a magnifying class to make up for this slip.

Racing Santander

A late, late strike from Iván Bolado meant that Racing could wave a finger or two in Mallorca's direction and claim a UEFA Cup place - the first time anything remotely exciting has happened at the Cantabrian club in 95 years.

"It's just reward for the season's work of a humble squad," claimed Marcelino - a man who may still stay at the Sardinero next season despite a number of big clubs fluttering their eyelids at him.

As Marca pointed out, a decent striker and they'd have been pushing for the Champions League this year.

Villarreal

The Yellow Submarine ending the campaign at full throttle after their win over Deportivo - their sixth in a row.

"We ended up with more points than Real Madrid did in 2006/07," pointed out Manuel Pellegrini, whose club has been boosted by the news that Sol Campbell is set to see out his retirement on the south coast rather than in Spain.

"I am happy here and see no reason to leave," declared the newly crowned FA Cup winner. The Champions League, perhaps?

Levante

The promise of two friendly matches against Real Madrid brought Levante off their strike, only a few hours after it had begun. And it's a sign of desperation from a squad who knew that even these small crumbs from Real Madrid's cake were better than bugger all.

And they gave it a bit of a go on Sunday night with two goals against stand-in, stand-in keeper Jordi Codina. Let's just hope that it wasn't the last we will be seeing of lowly Levante.

Giovani dos Santos

At the beginning of the season, La Liga Loca wrote that Giovani was going to be the new Ronaldinho. And in a way, the blog was right. But not in a good way.

Rumours are abound that Giovani has been joining his Brazilian buddy on his own particular training regime for much of the season, causing his disappointing displays and fuelling stories that he was to be banished by Barça to Man City.

However, the Mexican made a name for himself in Murcia on Saturday night with his first, second and third league strikes of the season. And the final two were absolute peaches. And they may help ensure that he won't be sent packing to the Premier League over the summer.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

It feels like the Dutch striker has only been back for about seven minutes, but he has already popped up with four goals in four games. If he - and the rest of his bickering international buddies - can avoid more fisticuffs with Marco van Basten then it could be a very good summer for both Van Nistelrooy and his clog-wearing country.

Deportivo

Possibly in the wrong section, but it's the delights of the Intertoto Cup for Deportivo this summer. "It's a prize for our second round," says Miguel Angel Lotina.

You!

And that's because, all you good, good people of FourFourTwo, La Liga Loca ain't going nowhere over the summer.

Bad Day

Real Zaragoza

"The luck was against us and two stupid goals cost us," complained Zaragoza coach Manolo Villanova. That and four coaches in one campaign, bickering players, a lack of backbone from the board and a defence that was as easy as a boozed up Belén Esteban - whose face appears to be falling off from what La Liga Loca saw on Saturday night TV.

Real Madrid

It has been suggested in other places that Real Madrid's celebrations on Sunday night were a little OTT. But La Liga Loca would not lower itself to such simple cynicism.

Instead, it will just say that the money forked out by the club on the post Primera party could have fed and clothed the Levante squad for the next couple of years, at least. "Tacky" was the verdict of Marca's Roberto Palomar.

Real get "tacky" celebrations underway by hoisting Schuster

Atlético Madrid

Seeing the season out in some style with 3-1 defeat to Valencia. And by starting with Eller, Mista, Zé Castro and Seitaridis, Javier Aguirre also got to have a look at the cut of their footballing jib, having decided to stay on for more fun next season. But he won't have liked what he saw.

"All season, Atlético were jumping from one place to another like picking petals off a daisy," wrote Jorge Valdano in Saturday's Marca. "Triumph, disaster, triumph, disaster, triumph." Sunday's game completed the sequence nicely.

Atlético round off season in predictable style

Espanyol

And the moment you've all been waiting for. Paul from Barcelona on Espanyol reaching rock bottom and starting to dig with a 3-1 home defeat against Almería.

"They say when teams have nothing to play for they are already on the beach. Well I've decided to report on a game of beach football I played in Newquay when I was 11 rather than bore you all to death with Espanyol vs Almería.

But first, Espanyol vs Almería was quite simply a snore-fest which outdid Zenit vs Rangers. Don't let the four goals fool you. It was awful. Nothing remotely interesting to report apart from Crusat trying to jump a hoarding then a bench and falling A over T.''

Anyone heading over to Barcelona this summer? think Ill take a 2 week holiday there around August... Only went to El Classico this season and it made me depressed, think Ill go to a pre season game to kick start my Camp Nou cravings for the season... Think Ill either go to the Fiorentina game (30th of July), or the Gamper Cup against Boca Juniors (26th of August)... In 1984 we beat them 9-1!!! =)

Barca 9-1 Boca

Yeah, I'll probably stay for the summer. My exams aren't until the end of June though, which is a pain in the hole. Need to find a job aswell but that can wait a little bit!:D

Anyway, Catalunya are playing Argentina at the Camp Nou this weekend but unfortunately I'll be in Dublin for it. I'm pretty sure Puyol, Xavi et al wont be allowed play because of their involvement with Spain but I'm not 100%. Ah well, at least Barça's basketball team are doing well!:p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Barca 9-1 Boca
    I'm going there in mid August, think I'm gone by the 26th though! Any other friendlies scheduled?

• Advertisement

Sweet lads, I've a couple of friends over around then too, we should go get smashed on La Ramblas... Good times are always had in Barcelona, my favourite city in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sweet lads, I've a couple of friends over around then too, we should go get smashed on La Ramblas... Good times are always had in Barcelona, my favourite city in the world!

Bah, la Ramblas is a bit of a kip at night. Me and my friends ended up in some sorta gay bar that was also very empty(thankfully:pac:). We then proceeded to walk along the docks where there was a gang of youths who were setting upon anyone speaking english it seems.
    Still really liked the rest of the city during the day, and the Nou Camp. That was just one awful night.

playa3 wrote: »
    Bah, la Ramblas is a bit of a kip at night. Me and my friends ended up in some sorta gay bar that was also very empty(thankfully:pac:). We then proceeded to walk along the docks where there was a gang of youths who were setting upon anyone speaking english it seems.
    Still really liked the rest of the city during the day, and the Nou Camp. That was just one awful night.

Really? I've never had any trouble with locals, but I look very Catalan. The only trouble I experienced at night was pick pockets, and that was because we got absolutely smashed, couldn't find our hostel and decided to sleep on the steps of MACBA... Locals hassling you, thats odd to be honest... You see all the sites ya, Gaudi's masterpieces and what not?

Ended up in a gaybar eh, thats how it always happens, 'WE DIDNT KNOW IT WAS A GAYBAR, I PROMISE!!!'... =P Likely story bucko..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Could definately be a plan, I'm over from the 14th to the 24th visiting my Barca-supporting brother. Though I'll be in Tossa for the first few days and Manresa for the rest, so any pissup in Barca would need to be planned ahead.

Victor Valdés, named in Catalan squad

Pere Gratacós has announced the team to face Argentina in Saturday’s friendly at the Camp Nou, and the only Barça player in the squad is Víctor Valdés.

Catalan head coach Pere Gratacós has announced a list of 18 players for the Catalonia v Argentina match this weekend. Euro 2008 has limited the number of players available to him, while he has also left his squad open pending news on the shoulder injury sustained by Racing’s Albert Crusat, who may be a late inclusion.

Victor Valdés only Barça player

The only FC Barcelona player in the squad is the goalkeeper, given that neither Bojan Krkic nor Oleguer Preses have been picked. Pere Gratacós said these two players were left out because “in Bojan’s case, I spoke with him and told him my reason for not naming him was mainly because after an agreement I made with Luis Aragonés, I don’t want to set off any arguments or problems for the player. It was a decision I made myself, and I assume the risks of not playing Bojan Krkic in this match”.

Absence of Oleguer Preses

But the Catalan defender was another shock name missing from Pere Gratacós’ selection. He justified the decision by saying “despite the emotional level that playing a game like this means for him” he decided not to include him because “I want players that are in the right playing rhythm and in a situation in which they can make a major effort, and Oleguer has not played since December”.

Important and interesting match

This is the 200th game played by the Catalan national side, and they will be up against an Argentina team that includes Leo Messi. Pere Gratacós described the game as “important and very interesting as the Argentina team are a high quality side and includes about 10 players that would be in their full international squad”.

The players included in the Catalan squad are as follows:

Victor Valdés (FC Barcelona)
    José Miguel Morales (Terrassa FC)
    Ferran Corominas (RCD Español)
    Angel Martínez (RCD Español)
    David García (RCD Español)
    Francisco J. Chica (RCD Español)
    Jonathan Soriano (RCD Español)
    Sergio González (Deportivo)
    Joan Verdú (Deportivo)
    Albert Lopo (Deportivo)
    David Belenguer (Getafe)
    Bruno Saltor (Almería)
    Carlos García (Almería)
    Santi Triguero (CF Vilanova Geltrú)
    Gerard Piqué (Manchester United)
    Oscar Serrano (Ràcing de Santander)
    Luis García (Atlético Madrid)
    Gerard López (Recreativo)

Argentina squad

Gonzalo Higuaín (Real Madrid)
    Fernando Gago (Real Madrid)
    Fabriccio Coloccini (Deportivo)
    Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)
    Óscar Ustari (Getafe)
    Marco Rubén (Recreativo de Huelva)
    Pablo Zabaleta (RCD Español)
    Sergio Agüero (Atlético de Madrid)
    Federico Julián Fazio (Sevilla)
    Ever Banega (Valencia)
    Angel di Maria (Benfica)
    Cristian Ansaldi (Rubin Kasan)
    Ezequiel Lavezzi (Nápoles)
    Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar)
    Lucas Biglia (Anderlecht)
    Mauro Zárate (Birmingham)
    Emiliano Insúa (Liverpool)
    Sebastian Leto (Liverpool)
    Diego Valeri (Lanús)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

That Barca documentary was fantastic. I remember missing it when it aired a few years back so those links were very much appreciated An Citeog. I thought Laporta came across rather well considering how much he is hated there these days.

So what do you guys make of Phil Ball's team of the season? Raúl and Guti are the most notable inclusions given their continued absence from the Spanish sqaud. Aragonés, you stubborn old fool!! :(
    Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
    A predictable choice perhaps, but undoubtedly the correct one. For starters, he won the 'Zamora' trophy by conceding only 32 goals in 36 games (0.89 per game) and was also the keeper who made the most goal-bound stops (139) - which either means the champions were not as defensively efficient as they might have appeared without Casillas, or they were just attack-minded. Take your pick, but Casillas is now a confirmed member of the world's elite, and probably has the best reflexes of the lot. When the rest of them flapped, Casillas remained calm. He's also lining himself up as the club's next spokesman, as soon as Raúl retires from the scene. He's also square-jawed and sensible, in a preppy sort of way, with Nike and Adidas scrambling for his signature. Things will only get better for Iker.

Right full-back: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
    The only other member of the champions picked by Aragonés for the Euro 2008 tournament, Ramos is gradually taking over from the old guard and confirming his place in the Bernabéu pantheon. Chelsea have unofficially offered a lot of money for him, which at least shows their good taste if not their manners. Now that RM can choose between Pepe, Cannavaro, Heinze and Metzelder, there has been less call for playing Ramos at centre-back, although he does it just fine. His power and his commitment, plus his ability from set pieces are turning him into the new leader, despite his occasional tendency to want to cover too much ground, leaving the back exposed. Should turn into one of the greats if he doesn't get too distracted by the interests of Dolce & Gabbana and sundry young ladies, but I don't want to sound jealous.

Left full-back: Joan Capdevila (Villarreal)
    After seven seasons with Deportivo, Capdevila moved to Villarreal in the summer and has proved one of the buys of the season. Seeking a change, or stability, Capdevila could have gone to one of the big two, but made his move after they had secured their squads for the season. But he's not complaining. No chicken at 30, Capdevila travels to Austria as the first-choice left-back, a problem position for Spain in the past few seasons, but only because he had not been fully trusted before. He's defensively sound, but not particularly adventurous - a profile that has suited Villarreal down to the ground this season with the equally excellent Cazorla and Pires able to do the offensive stuff down that side.

Right midfield: Ariel Ibagaza (Mallorca)
    Having been replaced by Agüero at Atlético, Ibagaza returned to Mallorca with his tail between his legs, destined, it seemed, to be yet another Argentine nearly man. But this season, whilst Dani Güiza has been taking the credit for the team's fine showing, someone has been supplying the goods. Ibagaza has finished way ahead of all the other top assist men, ending on a wholesome 100 (for goal attempts), way ahead of the next provider, Dani Alves on 76.

Central midfield (attacking): Guti (Real Madrid)
    Guti isn't everyone's cup of tea, but when he actually concentrates on doing what he's paid for, there are few in the game with his passing ability, few in the game with his uncanny ability to change the direction of the play with that strangely angular movement of his - pivoting on his hips and sending the ball in the opposite direction to where he has been looking a millisecond before. Aragonés may have his reasons for not taking Raúl to Austria, but if, as he claims, he takes the players who are on form, then Guti should have been selected. He's been one of RM's best this season, back to where he was some years ago before he got lost in a fog of his own making. When defences have proven stubborn, it's been Guti who has invariably picked the lock. Spain could use that in summer, but they're going to have to look to someone else.

Central midfield (defensive): Marcos Senna (Villarreal)
    Not a wealth of candidates here, but Senna gets the vote for his quiet consistency, and for his obvious contribution to the cause this season. In Albelda's absence, a lot will depend on him in the summer, if Aragonés decides to make him the first-choice hod-carrier. He's more than that though. He's neat and tidy, does all the right things and can be physical if the occasion demands. Scored the goal of the season against Betis, from behind the half-way line.

Left midfield: Leo Messi (Barcelona)
    He was picked for this spot last season, and although it's not strictly his position it's difficult to say exactly what Messi is - a phrase often used to describe the greats. Well - we know he's the best player in the world, with apologies to Ronaldo lovers, but he's not here for that reason. What has been most impressive about Messi this season has been his sheer will to win, his never-say-die attitude and the silent example he has provided to all around him, many of whom have seemed less than committed to the cause. At times he has run down cul-de-sacs, it's true, but only because there has been a lack of intelligent support. He's hardly had a bad game, and even when he came back from a serious injury, he was immediately running at players again like some sort of demented Spartan child, unacquainted with fear. Sorry to mix the metaphors, but he's also worked like a Trojan. Nice little bloke too, modest and without pretensions. You get the impression that he appreciates the privilege of being a professional footballer, particularly after what he went though as a child. He deserved better this season.

Centre-back: Ezequiel Garay (Racing de Santander)
    He's the man they're all talking about, and the young Argentine looks destined for the Bernabéu next season, despite the injury he picked up in March. It was significant that Racing's excellent season began to stutter once he was sidelined, and for many observers he has been the revelation of the season. Good on the ball, good at anticipating and solid in the air, the only pity is that he may be joining Madrid's already extensive collection of centre-backs, a fact that might hold his progress back. More likely to be bought and loaned back, he's one for the future - but not a distant one.

In the hole: Raúl (Real Madrid)
    I'm sorry, but there's no escaping the fact. Everyone wrote him off (including this column) and he's come back and won two more league titles, signing off this season as the team's top scorer, just in case we were in any doubt. He's not going to Austria because of the type of person he is. It has little to do with his footballing ability. Raúl has simply concentrated on doing things right this season, hanging behind the forwards and converting himself into a simple but effective link player, shuffling the play along in an unspectacular fashion, but still getting on the end of many a move, simply by virtue of his instincts, of his ability to know what will happen a split-second before the rest. Raúl never passes a ball without some intention, never makes a move without considering its momentary impact on the whole spatial set-up. He is a truly great player in the sense that there have been few like him - with no pace, no great strength and no obvious ball-tricks and magic. He just reads the game perfectly, and continues to be a thorn in everyone's side.

Striker 1: Dani Güiza
    The league's top scorer, all manner of jokes have been cracked about Güiza's sudden conversion from also-ran to major striker, as soon as he met and settled down with Nuria Bermudez, the woman who once snogged Cristiano Ronaldo and who famously threatened to do the same to David Beckham. Güiza doesn't look like a top striker, with his Dickensian sideburns and his rather ungainly lope, and he may turn out to be another one-season wonder, like Salva Ballesta or Mista, 'Pichichi' today, gone tomorrow. If that turns out to be the case, then he should milk it for all it's worth, and go to Barça next season, where he will probably struggle - but there's no harm in giving it a go.

Striker 2: Kun Agüero (Atlético Madrid)
    The low-gravity Argentine seems to have finally come of age, and may not be another of the low-arsed nearly men (cue Saviola, Ibagaza, Aimar). He's scored some great goals, and has usually managed to avoid the inconsistency endemic to his team-mates, helping them to secure a Champions League spot at last. One assumes he can only get better. Just what is it in the air in Argentina?

Subs' bench: Llorente (Valladolid), Forlan (Atlético Madrid), Luis Fabiano (Sevilla), Colsa (Racing Santander), Nihat (Villarreal)

Manager of the season: Unai Emery (Almería)
    Most shots at goal: Güiza (Mallorca)
    Most assists: Ibagaza (Mallorca) - second year running.
    Most fouls committed: Moisés (Espanyol)
    Most yellow cards: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
    Most fouled: Luis Garcia (Espanyol)
    Most balls lost: (not over the stand) Dani Alves (Sevilla)
    Surprise booby package of the season: Zaragoza
    Best surprise package of the year: Almería/Racing de Santander
    Biggest disappointment of the year: Getafe losing to Bayern Munich in the UEFA.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=537094&root=england&cc=5739&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos3
    There's an accompanying article in the link. Interestingly, Real Madrid achieved the highest points tally in la liga history while Villarreal secured more points than Capello's title winning team last season.

Wouldn't agree with Guti at all, he may have had a great season, but I feel Sneijder has still been arguably Madrids best player this season. He's been so good everytime I've watched him..

After his contract with Barca expired Edmilson signed for Villareal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

After his contract with Barca expired Edmilson signed for Villareal

thats a good signing, they always seem to get alleged over the hill or poor players and get them playing.

Pires not winning POTY is a disgrace.

kdjac

Well i supose Villareal is gonna get some good players this summer,they already started obviously coz they want to make good result again in CL,think they can be again good as few seasons ago

I hope Pelegrini stays now... I would have loved him at Barca, but now that its impossible, he needs to keep the Yellow Submarine afloat... He has done absolute wonders for that team.

Riquelme who? :D:D:D

Hey eZe^ did ya see Fergie's comment about Madrid and General Franco? That and him callin Barca a moral team! Class!! Im sure it went down well in Catalunya!

Hey eZe^ did ya see Fergie's comment about Madrid and General Franco? That and him callin Barca a moral team! Class!! Im sure it went down well in Catalunya!

What??!?!?! Hahahahah, linkage? I've been doing exams all this week so the only football I've encountered at all was the final... Sounds amazing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

all spilled out from Madrid chasing Ronnie
    Ferguson, fresh from United's Champions League truimph, said: "Schuster's talking and Calderon's talking.

"Real think they can ride roughshod over everyone, but they won't do it with us. They have no moral issues."

606: DEBATE
    He's priceless. He's not going anywhere

Lux-Aeterna

And Ferguson drew a comparison with Real's fierce rivals Barcelona as he fought to draw a line under continuing speculation surrounding the 23-year-old Portuguese winger's future.

He said: "In terms of great clubs, Barcelona have far better morality than Real Madrid will ever have. Real use this Marca newspaper as a vehicle to unsettle players.

"Do you not think we have had many expressions of interest about our players from big clubs in Europe?

"Real Madrid are not the only club interested in Ronaldo. But the others are not saying so. They don't get into this nonsense.

"Calderon makes that great statement 'slavery was abolished many years ago'. Did they tell General Franco that? Give me a break.

"The simple fact is Cristiano has another four years left on his contract."

United have sold David Beckham, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Gabriel Heinze to Real in recent years, but Ferguson insisted the case of Ronaldo was different.

He said: "Yes, we sold them Van Nistelrooy and Beckham but we did that because we wanted to."

What??!?!?! Hahahahah, linkage? I've been doing exams all this week so the only football I've encountered at all was the final... Sounds amazing!

Here ya go!!

My personal favourites:
    In terms of great clubs, Barcelona have far better morality than Real Madrid will ever have. Real use this Marca newspaper as a vehicle to unsettle players.

Calderon makes that great statement 'slavery was abolished many years ago'. Did they tell General Franco that? Give me a break.

Id say if that article gets any exposure in Barcelona that he;ll have made a lot of friends with that!!

• Advertisement

Id say if that article gets any exposure in Barcelona that he;ll have made a lot of friends with that!!

Hahahah, the Franco quote is absolute GENIUS!!!! Damnit, I wish extra time was still on, I'd love to see the look on their faces when they see United said that about their perfect Blanco club.. (They are all obsessed with United, it'd be heartbreaking)

I won't comment on the Marca thing though, because Barca are kinda the same with El Mundo Deportivo, but on a relative scale, we're angels... Hahahahah.

Cheers for that, Im sure he'll become a mini hero at the Camp Nou for that...

Hahahah, the Franco quote is absolute GENIUS!!!! Damnit, I wish extra time was still on, I'd love to see the look on their faces when they see United said that about their perfect Blanco club.. (They are all obsessed with United, it'd be heartbreaking)

I won't comment on the Marca thing though, because Barca are kinda the same with El Mundo Deportivo, but on a relative scale, we're angels... Hahahahah.

Cheers for that, Im sure he'll become a mini hero at the Camp Nou for that...

I knew you'd like that! With barca being my second team that was brilliant from my point of view!!

Madrid are way worse, theyre shameless and arrogant about it. Its ridiculous.

Extra time is the show on Real madrid TV yes? Dont watch that channell cos my feelings on Real are the same as Eto'o's!

Extra time is actually a fantastic La Liga updates show once you look past the Madrid bias... They go into more detail on clubs like Levante/ Derportivo, and they go into more detail on how clubs are doing financially and in board rooms... Its insightful....

From the signings that seem to be basically done deals, this is looking lovely;

Valdes
    Alves----Puyol---Pique----Abidal
    Toure-Iniesta---Keita
    Messi
    Eto----Henry

Subs: Xavi, Bojan, Giovanni, Milito, Marquez, Sylvinho, Amorebietta/ Coloccini

This would be my away lineup with all the realistic players coming in (Keita, Alves,Pique). For home games I would bench either Toure or Keita and put Xavi in and move Iniesta more forward. Henry can rotate with Bojan regardless.

Formation is narrow in the midfield as we don`t have aerial firepower upfront. We`d gain few things here:
    1. Giving Messi a free role will basically let him express himself and he'll perform fantastically, also, he doesn't need to stick to the right side because Alves can absolutely dominate the whole of the right side on his own.

2. Bojan/Henry more effective in their natural position as CF

3. More balance in midfield with two strong CM in Toure-Keita

No ACN next season so only in 2 years we`d have the problem with Keita-Toure missing. But by then we`d have to get few good covers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Eze, any idea about Deco and who he might end playing for next season? I still think he has lot to give and would be a good signing for most clubs. I have read as well that Barca are interested in Diego of Werder Bremen?

Heres the vid of Fergies interview:

Eze, any idea about Deco and who he might end playing for next season? I still think he has lot to give and would be a good signing for most clubs. I have read as well that Barca are interested in Diego of Werder Bremen?

Deco still has alot to offer any club to be honest. He just seems to have lost his hunger at Barca after winning so much... I'd say he's gone this summer alright, I'm not quite sure where though....

Diego was rumoured to be a potential target for Barca, but Real Madrid are in the mix for him, which means they'll bid stupidly high amounts of money for him, alot more than he's worth to be honest... And I also read that he has extended his contract with Bremen and is probably going to end up staying there for at least another season.

I think Diego wont go anywhere out of Bremen

keita has medical at Barca :(

kdjac

Are we talking about Keita from Lyon?

• Advertisement

No the good one Seydou plays for Sevilla.

kdjac

Advertisement