Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back to fitness

• 16-04-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

I used to be a competitive swimmer when I was younger but it's a good few years back now

Anyway for about 4 or 5 weeks i've been back swimming 3 times a week
    My strokes are all ok technique wise, and my speed is not too bad either - around 30 sec for a 50 fc sprint

Currently im doing sets which are a bit like this, lasting around 45 mins
    150 warm up
    10 x 100 f/c (1:30-1:45, 45 seconds rest)
    5 x 50 kick (1:00-1:15, 45 seconds rest)
    150 cool down

Anyone have any ideas on how to build up my fitness, should I start doing 200s and 400s? or just make my sessions longer than 45 mins

I want to be at the stage where I can train with a competitive squad by October, not too worried about competing again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'd add some arm drills (cathup, high elbows, fist etc) and some different strokes but my technique is carp with good fitness so not quite in the same boat as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Putting aside your stroke, since you say they're good, I think the next priority is to get a set time for your swims. I'm not sure from your post, are you doing your 100's on 1;45 or is that the time your coming in on and then taking 45 seconds rest?

If this is the case then you need to get a set time and stick to it. As you progress through the set you are obviously going to get more tired and you'll slow down. Keeping the same rest each time means you body gets used to it. Try doing them all on 2mins and see how easy that is (how do your times drop off over the set). If that's too easy then try 1.55 & so on. This will push your fitness a lot better.

You could also add in some progressive overload: do the first 3 on 2.00 then the next 3 on 1.55, then the next 3 on 1.50 etc.

Longer distances will help but it all depends on what you are aiming towards. What level are the squad you are aiming for at? If it a competitive club then your also going to have to work on your other strokes aswell. Your timeline seem very realistic so if you can stick at it then you should have no problem. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the replies

Ive been finishing 100 after about 1.30 and then taking 45 secs rest, as I get to the last few it becomes closer to 1.45 with 45 secs rest.

I think i'll try going for 2.15 inc rest for all 10, i'm not fit enough for 2.00 yet - would only last for about 5 x 100 at that pace

Or would i be better sticking to the 2.30 and trying to do 15 x 100?

I'm not sure what level it is, it's going to be in France as i'm going there next year, but I want to be near A Grade standard here, but not the higher end of that

My other strokes aren't too bad, I have always been very good at breaststroke so I'm more concerned with improving my fitness for now rather than b/c or fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Yeah exactly, pick a time that you can manage and then work from there.

Regarding the fitness: Now it can get a bit technical. What type of fitness? There are two major energy systems, the aerobic and the anaerobic. When people talk of fitness, it’s normally the aerobic they are talking about. Being able to swim for a long time without getting too tired. The anaerobic system is the initial reserves for fast swims and sprints over the shorter distances. And obviously the definition of short distance varies from person to person. For some 200m is a sprint or at least that’s how they race it ;-).

Obviously by training your anaerobic system you will increase your endurance at speed and that will also help your distance swims as your anaerobic system kicks in first and when that system uses up its energy store then it’s your aerobic system.

Like any other form of training, you have to mix it up to keep pushing your body to adapt and improve. Mix it around, do some long set one day then maybe a sprint session the next. Throw in some 200 & 400m everyso often. Get to know your average times and then you can reduce the times when you want to push yourself or when it starts getting too easy.

I wouldn't neglect the other strokes. If you are looking to get in at a good level in the club you are moving to, you will need them. Brs uses very different muscle group to fc kick. You will need to train these also. You don't have to start with this straight away but don't leave it too late.

Advertisement