Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gta4 Pre Order Shortage

• 16-04-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

I was in GameStop today asking could I pre order gta4.
    They said that they may not have enough copies.
    The people that pre order will basicaly not be guaranteed a copy on launch
    I also went to game and it’s booked out.

I put a tenner down for it in GameStop (Stephen green). He said get her early to guarantee

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Well, I've had mine pre-ordered in a Gamestop in Cork for a good while now. I'm unlikely to get there to collect it before 5.30 on launch day. Heads will roll if there isn't a copy available for me!

Edit: Thanks for the heads up, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

i havent pre ordered anywhere

i live between dundalk and drogheda so should be able to get it between

gamestop, smyths, argos, xtravision, tescos

there is one of each of them in dundalk and drogheda, so i reckon it should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Im only going to gamestop cause i wanna trade in some games, by the looks of it, most places that take pre orders are selling out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 L4Flare

I pre-ordered mine in Zavvi last week in the Blanchardstown Centre for the 360. THey were doing an offer (dunno if they're still doing it) but you pay a deposit of 5 euro and pre-order GTA4. But you also get 3 months of Xbox Live for free! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Weve heard this so many times about new releases and its never happened. Its just away to get people Hyped and in to but it on launch day so they can try and Beat Halo3 record. Saying all this i will be GUTTED if i dont get a copy in the first few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Still availalbe to preorder on gamesnash:
    http://gamesnash.ie/catalog/product_info.php?pName=grand-theft-auto-iv-x360-&osCsid=8160de9de038006d9f1aebbd274ca0ea

They don't sell if they won't have the stock so it'd be taken off the site before they won't have enough copies for people basically so it probably means a false shortage rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im confident of strolling in off the street and getting a copy should i bother getting it on launch day to be perfectly honest

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,694 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pre-booked one in my local Smyths last week just to be safe (didn't cost anything to book) and they didn't say anything about shortages, so hopefully will be OK.

Likelihood is it will still be available somewhere on launch day, but if any game will sell out it'll be this (or Wii Fit, but that will probably be to a different demographic). I'll be up early on the 29th to get it regardless - lucky college is finished by then.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

brim4brim wrote: »
    Still availalbe to preorder on gamesnash:
    http://gamesnash.ie/catalog/product_info.php?pName=grand-theft-auto-iv-x360

They don't sell if they won't have the stock so it'd be taken off the site before they won't have enough copies for people basically so it probably means a false shortage rumour.

At the risk of sounding like we are hyping this ourselves - I promise we are not !!! ....

Believe it or not we sold out of our initial allocation and it took some amount of dealing ( involving a lot of GTA style threatening of suppliers etc ;) ) to source more stock. We are 100% sure that this game is going to sell out on release day - we don't expect our updated order to meet demand on our own site but we are holding back some copies for general release on the day. - This is actually a precaution in case there are any shortages on our own deliveries. We don't want to let anyone down who has pre ordered off us.

There is another release to the retailers in mid may which I am sure will satisfy the demand by then but as far as we can see there is not enough copies available to meet demand on launch day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Must Panic Book with deposit immediately!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

xtra-vision have stopped taking pre books as well but I wouldn't really worry. Companies like Xtra-Vision and Gamestop have to get a certain amount of prebooks so that Microsoft will give them good allocations on future releases. It was the same with Halo 3 when i worked in Xtra-Vision,stopped prebooks after about 25-30 but got 70 copies in for launch day and another 20 a few days later. I'm playing a dangerous game though because I am just hoping to go in and pick one up on launch day. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

remember san andreas. this is easily just as big a release. that is all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I wouldnt be surprised if thats true. GameStop in Belfast alone have 700 pre-orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

How much is the normal game going to be in gamestop anyways? And are they doing the special edition one like this http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/3423258/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Special-Edition/Product.html?dpr=132836

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

buying it in tesco myself, it'll be cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

At the risk of sounding like we are hyping this ourselves - I promise we are not !!! ....

Believe it or not we sold out of our initial allocation and it took some amount of dealing ( involving a lot of GTA style threatening of suppliers etc ;) ) to source more stock. We are 100% sure that this game is going to sell out on release day - we don't expect our updated order to meet demand on our own site but we are holding back some copies for general release on the day. - This is actually a precaution in case there are any shortages on our own deliveries. We don't want to let anyone down who has pre ordered off us.

There is another release to the retailers in mid may which I am sure will satisfy the demand by then but as far as we can see there is not enough copies available to meet demand on launch day.

Any word on getting any more special editions in stock? :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

All a marketing ploy tbh

On launch day if you end up in one of the stores like HMV etc the place will be flooded with them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Well Gamenash have themselves another customer. I was gonna wait and chance it on release day and while I expect there'll probably be plenty to be had I don't want to risk it.

Gamesnash i've only heard of till tis topic and they look great if they do what they say. Ordering from UK etc sites take ages, but getting it the next day sounds excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Unearthly wrote: »
    All a marketing ploy tbh

On launch day if you end up in one of the stores like HMV etc the place will be flooded with them

I really don't know about that!
    I searched Cork city for San Andreas on release day.
    I really would be going with gamesnash for those who haven't booked as they guarantee you get it on release day if you pay for priority postage.

I'd prefer to be playing the game than gambling on a marketing ploy.

• Advertisement

I had a choice of every shop in dublin city for San Andreas if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Unearthly wrote: »
    I had a choice of every shop in dublin city for San Andreas if I remember correctly.

Well I hope you are right so everyone gets it,but I wouldn't be leaving it to chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

ShaneU wrote: »
    buying it in tesco myself, it'll be cheaper too.

Tesco ftw. They're pretty good for price. Remember the Halo 3 launch, didn't they have if for €46 or something excellent like that. And nobody thinks of buying there, so they almost always have what you're looking for.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Tesco ftw. They're pretty good for price. Remember the Halo 3 launch, didn't they have if for €46 or something excellent like that. And nobody thinks of buying there, so they almost always have what you're looking for.:)

Shhhhhhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Shhhhhhh!

Haha, I know giving the secret away. Didn't wanna let anyone know in case you scumbags buy my copy but they had a load of GTA advertisements in Tesco Bloomfields in Dun Laoghaire, thats where I'll be poping down on tuesday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bros123 wrote: »
    I really don't know about that!
    I searched Cork city for San Andreas on release day.

True,
    but the thing to remember is that with this release, there are two platforms going to be flooded with copies rather than just the PS2 back in the day..
    I do remember a couple of places selling out of San Andreas in Dublin, so its not unheard off, but back then the PS2 was far more prevalent than the 360 is these days..

Wouldn't think anyone will have an issue getting a standard copy at the first shop they go to, if so I'm sure they'll find it around.......lot of dual platform owners as well out there, and I doubt many of them will be buying two copies..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

gonna throw caution to the wind myself and try strolling into the shops around launch and see if I can pick up a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

are tesco usually pretty good about putting a game on sale at midnight of release day? clarehall is my local and i can't imagine they're that arsed about such things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Random1

i highly doubt you'll have much trouble getting a copy. maybe a few stores will sell out but only the minority. its one of the most highly anticipated releases over the past few years & stores im sure will have hundreds of copies each. the whole pre-order thing is just a scam so they already know the guaranteed minimum amount of stock they need plus all the extra they're going to buy. not to mention the probably put your deposits in a big old bank account & earn interest on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

How much is the normal game going to be in gamestop anyways? €60? €70?
    And are they doing the special edition one like this http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-...tml?dpr=132836

Advertisement