Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed wireless service provider recommendation?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I live in Dublin city center and have no need of a landline anymore. So rather than continuing to pay Eircom landline rental, I prefer to move to a fixed wireless service. As far as I can tell my choices are limited to Irish Broadband and Clearwire. Can anyone recommend either from direct experience? Or an alternative fixed wireless provider? Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I would recommend the fixed wireless (Breeze) Irish BroadBand to you myself as I've had them for ages and find them perfectly fine. Their no cap service is also a big bonus, for me anyway as I like to stream HD TV direct from certain US networks over a VPN and also run a test server/lab from home to some friends in Africa and Asia to test out some projects. That plus I have Blueface running on it all the time and I like the low latencies for gaming also. On top of that, I don't want to be bothered about worrying as to whether or not I'm going to go over any cap. Nice to have an uncapped service.

Brother in law has the clearwire service and has nothing bad to say about it, working fine for him and he's happy with it. Dunno much about it though myself to give a decent opinion.

Steer clear of the ripwave though with IBB, it's really not very good at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭lm7

I had Irish broadbands ripwave modem for last few years. it was crap in rathmines, Harolds cross and Dundrum. It did improve a bit, but I could not send an email it would just go. The no cap was good, i then moved to clearwire and found I could not do certain downloads I rang them and was told they stop programes like limewire. they weren't much better than IBB. i am now with o2 wireles broadband for the extra money its not great can still just disconnect could not get on to boards web sit monday with it. my son works for Vodafone and sayes all the wireless broadband is much the same crap. but at least i can send emails and i dont have to have the modem pluged in to the mains. but in my opinion if you want realy fast broadband go for the landline. I get the impression that o2 BB is for people on the move you can bring it in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

I don't think there is anyone on Boards that would recommend Ripwave (too slow, too spotty) or Clearwire (great if you only BROWSE the net, everything else is blocked).

If you can get Digiweb AND you do only a little bit more than surfing (the occasional torrent, ftp, streaming, gaming) it's a fine service and higly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ballybough

dexta wrote: »
    I live in Dublin city center and have no need of a landline anymore. So rather than continuing to pay Eircom landline rental, I prefer to move to a fixed wireless service. As far as I can tell my choices are limited to Irish Broadband and Clearwire. Can anyone recommend either from direct experience? Or an alternative fixed wireless provider? Many thanks

Dont get clearwire...what ever you do!!!...seriously they are bottom of the barrel stuff. I live just down the road from the summerhill exchange and I still get an dload of 125mbps and upload of 32kbps. I am trying everything to get a decent broadband for gaming but ntl or eircom are the only chioces. Id say keep the landline...better of in the long run

Advertisement