Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"Delivery & Related Charges Extra"

Options
  • 16-04-2008 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Maybe I missed previous discussion on this one but how come car makers are allowed to continue the above practice of declaring notional retail prices excluding "delivery and related charges"? No other consumer product is allowed to be sold at prices which are, in effect, the ex factory prices which consumers cannot actually avail of. Where is the Office of Consumer Affairs and similar bodies on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Ernest wrote: »
    No other consumer product is allowed to be sold at prices which are, in effect, the ex factory prices which consumers cannot actually avail of.

Hmm....not sure if that is the case. Take travel agents for example, they have big bright stickers in their windows like "2 weeks in Benidorm for 200 euro" but you never get it for the advertised price after they have stuck on all their little "extras".

I think you are right though, it would be better to just see an "On The Road" price on a new vehicle because the other charges can vary from dealership to dealership for the same make/model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

NEVER pay for this SHOITTTTTEEE.

Delivery and Related charged is just a STEALTH charge used by the trade up their margins. Negotiate hard and this charge will dissappear - esp with dealers with yards full of cars at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

i totally agree

or the car's they show you on the advertisements are the top of the range or the showcar is top of the range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

They do this to allow dealers to include what they want and dont in the retail price, I.E. Some dealers will include met. paint + mats + flaps in there retail price some wont.

It also allows dealers to include PDI's, Cleaning ect . They couldent include this in advertised prices as each dealer would have different labour rates I.E. dublin Merc dealers may charge €100 /hour labour on a PDI while a "Country" dealer may only charge labour at €70/hour

It allow so allow for delivery charges to be different I.E. a dublin dealer would be charged less than a dealer in donegal for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

NEVER pay for this SHOITTTTTEEE.

Delivery and Related charged is just a STEALTH charge used by the trade up their margins. Negotiate hard and this charge will dissappear - esp with dealers with yards full of cars at the minute.

If you negotiate hard then they just hide the charge within the discount they give. Dealers charge this as they have to pay for transport of the car from the importers compound, PDI and clean of the car, reg plates, surrounds, stickers etc.

• Advertisement

ROR - good point, but i worked in the trade in all areas, rental,service and sales............but having just got off the phone to my mate who still works in the trade and is selling everyday of the week (or trying to), he tells me that he'll drop all charges to get "metal moving" - i.e. SOLD!
    Dealer Charges are out the window at the mo...........stuffs not selling! Wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

10 years ago, FIAT advertised an "Open Book Price", which was the price of the car on the road. However, no discount was available off this price, and if you were trading in a car, then it looked as if you were getting a lot less for your car as the dealers didn't have the cushion that other brands had. As a result, FIAT dealers operated on very low margins.

The thing was, ALL new cars were supposed to use an "Open Book Price", but FIAT were the only ones who actually did it.

Yeah, Fiat's open book - and i got a good discount of the open book policy for my G/F from Blanchardstown fiat at the time on a punto SX....

open book me arse.............There is always a haggle to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It allow so allow for delivery charges to be different I.E. a dublin dealer would be charged less than a dealer in donegal for delivery.

AFAIK they all get charged the same now, Toyota anyway, so there is no extra charge for country delivery. But if you order one in Dublin you get done!!

Advertisement