Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiwebs upload speed

Options
  • 16-04-2008 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

does anyone think digiweb should increase there upload speed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Well, the more the merrier as they say! I think they'd be far better of increasing their caps first though - they're the one thing that stops me from even considering switching to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The upload speed is already typically twice DSL upload and 4 times satellite upload for same download speed as DSL.

I'm curious as to what you want more upload speed for. (I know what I like upload speed for and I tell you after!).

You can buy extra cap. If the cap was higher by default then the majority of users would be subsidizing the heavy users. It's fairer if very heavy users pay for what they use.

Google "Net Neutrality" and "BBC iPlayer" etc and read about some of the complex issues involved.

I think (personal, in no way an official opinion) that the trend will be for a cheaper low cap entry level package for 50% of folks that simply do odd browse & email and then basic fee + pay for what data (NOT time) you use per Gbyte with "PayG" (buy GBytes in advance like phone minutes) and "bill pay" (pay after for what you used like Electric or gas) GBytes options.

I think it's the only pricing plan that will allow heavy usage in the future like SkyAnytime or iPlayer or true HD downloads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

With regards to BBC iPlayer and Net Neutrality, ISPs have brought it upon themselves really. They're trying to flog relatively cheap connections to customers which they are promoting as high speed "always on" connections and in doing so, massively oversubsribe their networks. Sure - no-one can expect a dedicated connection for what we pay for residential broadband at present, and ISPs build their networks for residential packages around the concept that for the majority of the time time a lot of the connections will be idle. But how ISPs can sign all these people up, rake in monthly subscriptions and then get into a strop because content starts to become available which increases people's use of the internet connection, consequently choking up all of the ISP backhaul, is just madness.

If you own an ISP you can't expect customers to sign up to high speed packages, often for pretty hefty monthly subs, and then give out because they're using said connection, which they're paying for! And with the likes of BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 On Demand, Sky Anytime, Skype and even talk of future applications such as Moviestar's planned movie download service or P2P VoD services such as VuDu in the US, XBOX Live's and Sony's Playstation Networks due to launch video downloads, there's going to be a huge jump in demand for bandwidth in the very near future. And that figure of 50% of people who only use the web for e-mailing and basic browsing will steadily drop over the next while as more and more people begin to use more bandwidth intensive applications.

And while I'd say PAYG will definitely make an appearance into the market, I can't see it completely overtaking always on connections. At this stage, always on, unlimited internet has caught on so I don't think it will be going away anytime soon. Trying to impose restrictions like making customers pay for their use, or throttling P2P only pisses people off - google Comcast throttling and you'll see pages of stories from annoyed customers to lawsuits. You will always get companies such as Irish Broadband or Smart who promote the fact they have no download limits as a plus, to sell the service. Digiweb's cap though, is something that is probably putting a lot of people off switching to them (it certainly is for me, and I'm not a heavy downloader - on a good month (or a bad month, depends on whether you're looking at it from my perspective or an ISP's! :)) I'd average about 60GB a month [ALL LEGAL]), although perhaps the idea of the cap is that they don't want to massively oversubscribe their networks with heavy downloaders, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

watty wrote: »

I think (personal, in no way an official opinion) that the trend will be for a cheaper low cap entry level package for 50% of folks that simply do odd browse & email and then basic fee + pay for what data (NOT time) you use per Gbyte with "PayG" (buy GBytes in advance like phone minutes) and "bill pay" (pay after for what you used like Electric or gas) GBytes options.

I think it's the only pricing plan that will allow heavy usage in the future like SkyAnytime or iPlayer or true HD downloads etc.

No problem with that provided the pricing is not too high.
    What I wonder is: is the the Digiwebs upload speed dictated by the technology (like DSL)?
    Would it be possible to cater for the individual user by offering personalised packages for different users on the same mast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

hunter2008 wrote: »
    does anyone think digiweb should increase there upload speed?

Yes!

A lot of people think torrents straight away, but there's many uses for faster upload (even for lighter domestic users). Stuff like video calling, sending video clips or photos (email or uploading to youtube). For teleworkers, a decent upload speed is a requirement (for VPN access, etc.). I have 1Mb upload with Digiweb Metro (in theory anyway, it's not always that, of late). Work aside, it's very noticeable in just uploading photos, for example.

• Advertisement

VPN, VNC, VLC etc.. (remote PC/Phone/Gadget to your home Desktop).

Streaming your OWN music / DVDs / Pay TV subscription to your self either on a Mobile device or alternate location, for your own use.

We aren't going to see the end of always on (time limited BB is an oxymoron), but a package including a given capacity and if exceeded you are throttled or charged per Gbyte.

It's reasonable WHATEVER the product you pay for what you consume. Selling capped products as "Unlimited" (or "Fair Use" where they won't tell you what the cap is) that are capped / throttled is unfair. Selling you a package where up front it is spelled in B&W that it has a Cap can't be deemed unfair.

The upload speed of Metro is partially limited by Comreg assigned spectrum and partially limited by technology.

DSL gets really quite slow beyond 8km, and 5km is often the limit. Metro can do more than 40km in theory (limited by Comreg, "aerial" size and Line Of Sight) with no speed reduction. The current modems may have a lower upload limit than download.

Very few people need more than the 512k upload. For 20Mbps symmetrical there is a different wireless product. If you are really needing that kind of speed and the traffic implied the package would be much more expensive on Metro than the dedicated high speed Corporate solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1not24get

cgarvey wrote: »
    Yes!

I have 1Mb upload with Digiweb Metro

What sort of upload speeds are you getting when you run a speed test?

I get the full 1Mb (well, usually 930KB+). When I made my 'in theory' comment, it was because I was only getting 10% of that most of the time (including middle of the night). Digiweb support (despite detailed emails & stats proving the contrary) were happy to put that down to contention (rather than actually investigate the issue properly).

Now, after 1 month of 10-15% upload speed max, I'm getting full upload speed again. The only time I notice contention is Microsoft patch Tuesdays, and even then it's only in the order of 80%+ of my upload speed.

"contention" my rear end, Digiweb support dudes/dudettes.

At least they didn't tell you the answer was to wipe the sim card and re-insert. Or Reinstall your OS.

watty wrote: »
    Or Reinstall your OS.

Well *cough*, actually ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 hunter2008

thanks for all the replys that only reason i asked this question was i'm paying €60 per month for a 10mb down and i only get 512kb upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

hunter2008 wrote: »
    thanks for all the replys that only reason i asked this question was i'm paying €60 per month for a 10mb down and i only get 512kb upload

if u think thats bad im paying eircom 74euro a month for 3mb down and just 384kb up

Advertisement