Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Rushes/Reeds

Options
  • 16-04-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I have a lot of wet areas in the garden and as a result I have rushes/reeds growing in the lawn. Can anyone recommend something that might kill these but keep the grass intact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Only real solution there is to put in drainage, as reeds will always come back once it remains a wet area, its their natural habitat. Had a simialr problem, and we dug a few trenches and put in french drains, much improved now.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

The agricultural solution to this is a "weedlicker". It's an attachement with a wick that gets soaked in weedkiller (roundup or similar). The attachment is held a few inches above the grass and therefore the weedkiller only gets onto the rushes.

If your garden is small you could try something with a weedkiller soaked sponge, but in the end you'll need to resolve the drainage issue. Be patient - you won't see the effects of roundup for a couple of weeks.

WARNING - Roundup will kill grass - this is what it is meant to do. This method works by not letting the weedkiller onto the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

first step is to cut the rushes, then wait until they start to grow back then use the weedlicker when the rushes are green.
    Use Mortone (agricultural weed killer especially for rushes) You will have to apply twice, once now(spring) and again in autumn. this is the only way to kill the root as its a very resilliant weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

prendy wrote: »
    first step is to cut the rushes, then wait until they start to grow back then use the weedlicker when the rushes are green.
    Use Mortone (agricultural weed killer especially for rushes) You will have to apply twice, once now(spring) and again in autumn. this is the only way to kill the root as its a very resilliant weed.

Thanks.
    Will the Mortone kill grass also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Hi jumping on the bandwagon here!
    we have.6 acre and a stream/river at end of garden,with loads of rushes and ferns the garden is very uneven v,hard to get a tractor down there if even possible,there are friut trees down there as well,I was told if i rotovated it,the frens would spread,as it is nobody can even walk down there, any ideas that wont cost the earth,
    as it is the garden is out of bounds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement