Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nominations and hats in the ring for Moderatorship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

So are we in agreement...

Shooting: Rovi
    Target Shooting: IRLConor / Sparks
    Hunting: Vegeta

Does anyone have a problem with this? Speak now or forever take it feedback and all that! Anyone else want a go a modding these forums?

You should re-read OP :rolleyes:

It ain't up to us..............no negative feedback allowed either

God, better known as DeVore will decide

DeV wanted the forum to be in agreement about the mods - he will see what we want, and then make a call.

But we, the community, must be (somewhat) in agreement before he can do this

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Ah yes, Democracy at work. Tis a beautiful thing to behold:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Does anyone have a problem with this? Speak now or forever take it feedback and all that!
    Well, two - firstly, I'd really like to see a fifth person in that list, and secondly I'd prefer that that fifth be a clay pigeon shooter because while we have rifle and pistol target shooting and hunting represented well there, I've noticed that over the last year or so, we've seen fairly little from the clay pigeon side of things. Any volunteers?

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Ah yes, Democracy at work.
    Close. It's a "one man, one vote" system a la Pratchett - Dev's the one man and he's got the one vote :D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Well, two - firstly, I'd really like to see a fifth person in that list, and secondly I'd prefer that that fifth be a clay pigeon shooter because while we have rifle and pistol target shooting and hunting represented well there, I've noticed that over the last year or so, we've seen fairly little from the clay pigeon side of things. Any volunteers?

Sparks, you know as well as I do that mods are janitors and not the people responsible for generating conversation etc.

We don't need full rep on the mod team as the primary task is the smooth running of the site. If a thread calls for a clay pigeon shooters input, then I am sure one will post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Close. It's a "one man, one vote" system a la Pratchett - Dev's the one man and he's got the one vote :D

Yeah, and that's the best way to run a thing like this too.

Sparks, you know as well as I do that mods are janitors and not the people responsible for generating conversation etc.
    We don't need full rep on the mod team as the primary task is the smooth running of the site. If a thread calls for a clay pigeon shooters input, then I am sure one will post.
    Not what I was referring to - the reason for wanting a clay shooter is the same as the reason for wanting a hunter for Hunting - even janitors need to know what needs to be mopped up and what's actually modern art :D

Maybe DeVore has already decided and this is a PR type exercise and to find out who doesn't like who and who does :D

A good dictator would always want know who's pally with who especially if they wanted a night of the long knives type scenario :D

this is a PR type exercise and to find out who doesn't like who and who does
    /me remembers the last four years in the forum
    Eh, I don't think so bunny - I don't think we were ever that subtle :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Moderator wanted.....................

Requirments:-

Must be open minded
    must be fair and not too quick to judge..

Knowledge of the forum topic is not necessary as it is not part of the job description to interfere with normal discussion as it is defined in the charter.....
    a moderator may enforce the charter, which they too are governed by.. :o
    There seems to an effort by some (you know who you are) to employ moderators who are knowledgeable in relation to the forum in which they preside. All in all thats not too bad of an idea, but it would lead to a system of justice that would be based on opinion or belief rather than on good behavior.

Moderation is purely that, "moderation" . Its would be a horror to see people being told to shut up because a moderator thought their opinion was flawed or was not completely in tune with the shooting fraternity.
    The duty of a mod is to smooth things over keep the peace in the land of the 9mm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Its not quite as crazy as "Discworld" in here, but its close.;)

Moderator wanted.....................

Requirments:-

Must be open minded
    must be fair and not too quick to judge..

Knowledge of the forum topic is not necessary as it is not part of the job description to interfere with normal discussion as it is defined in the charter.....
    a moderator may enforce the charter, which they too are governed by.. :o
    There seems to an effort by some (you know who you are) to employ moderators who are knowledgeable in relation to the forum in which they preside. All in all thats not too bad of an idea, but it would lead to a system of justice that would be based on opinion or belief rather than on good behavior.

Moderation is purely that, "moderation" . Its would be a horror to see people being told to shut up because a moderator thought their opinion was flawed or was not completely in tune with the shooting fraternity.
    The duty of a mod is to smooth things over keep the peace in the land of the 9mm:D

Ivan talking sense, I nominate him :D

Knowledge of the forum topic is not necessary
    Why does that remind me of the school of thought that a manager doesn't need to know the business in order to manage it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Maybe DeVore has already decided and this is a PR type exercise and to find out who doesn't like who and who does :D

A good dictator would always want know who's pally with who especially if they wanted a night of the long knives type scenario :D

Bunny, youre not related to machiavelli by any chance:D

Bunny, youre not related to machiavelli by any chance:D

Wouldn't surprise me. :pac: He had some interesting ideas. He would have made a great Mod here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Ivan's closer to be honest, end justifying the means and all that! :pac:

Feckin' crossbows! :D

Oh, pullandbang seems a sound bloke for a clay shooting rep.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Wouldn't surprise me. :pac: He had some interesting ideas. He would have made a great Mod here :D

Certainly his views on arming/disarming the populace would have won him many friends:
    when you disarm them, you at once offend them by showing that you distrust them, either for cowardice or for want of loyalty, and either of these opinions breeds hatred against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

You get my vote Ivan, at the back of it all I think your head is screwed on and your hart is in the right place.

*****BREAKING NEWS*********

Government, are set to appoint a minister for Doom & Gloom:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

chem wrote: »

*****BREAKING NEWS*********

Government, are set to appoint a minister for Doom & Gloom:p

I thought Michael Martin already had a portfolio??

Just like to add, and I'm very sure I'll be accused of brown-nosing, but DeVore did a very good job modding this place after the fall out, many thanks! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Oh, pullandbang seems a sound bloke for a clay shooting rep.

Good Lord No!
    Thanks, but I just wouldn't have the time. I actually have to work during the day :mad: and barely get online from home with my Bebo kids!:eek:

Hah, no worries. I know plenty of the hunters shoot a good bit of clays as well, so any of them care to step up to the plate? Or is there anyone else a more dedicated clay shooter?

Hmm, well if an extra pair of hands is needed, I'd do the job. I may not be the most knowledgeable about the sport, but I've been on Boards a long time and have a pretty good idea of how it all works, so I dunno if that interests anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Hah, no worries. I know plenty of the hunters shoot a good bit of clays as well, so any of them care to step up to the plate? Or is there anyone else a more dedicated clay shooter?

Hmm, well if an extra pair of hands is needed, I'd do the job. I may not be the most knowledgeable about the sport, but I've been on Boards a long time and have a pretty good idea of how it all works, so I dunno if that interests anyone.

you would have my support and ive did quite a bit at clayshooing,ive shot at county and national level, youll have my help if you need it;)

you would have my support and ive did quite a bit at clayshooing,ive shot at county and national level, youll have my help if you need it;)

Cheers, shame you wouldn't be interested in doing it yourself, seem more than adequately qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

I would hope that whoever is appointed to the position of shooting forum Mod is given access through Devore to his contact in the DOJ.

This would get true answers to a lot of the questions like (THE CARRYING FOR SPORT a other persons firearm/ammunition).

This posting is not meant to be disrespectful to any boards user putting their thoughts in relation to the firearms law, but a way of getting the facts straight from the DOJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »
    I would hope that whoever is appointed to the position of shooting forum Mod is given access through Devore to his contact in the DOJ.

This would get true answers to a lot of the questions like (THE CARRYING FOR SPORT a other persons firearm/ammunition).

This posting is not meant to be disrespectful to any boards user putting their thoughts in relation to the firearms law, but a way of getting the facts straight from the DOJ.

No offence to the DoJ, but all you'll get from them is an opinion which is about as valid as anyone else's opinion. The final arbiter of what a law actually means is a judge in court. We've had plenty of laws here that were meant to do something, but were found to mean something else entirely when they reached court.

Right up to the level of the constitution. Anyone remember the 'X' case?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

rrpc wrote: »
    No offence to the DoJ, but all you'll get from them is an opinion which is about as valid as anyone else's opinion. The final arbiter of what a law actually means is a judge in court. We've had plenty of laws here that were meant to do something, but were found to mean something else entirely when they reached court.

Right up to the level of the constitution. Anyone remember the 'X' case?

rrpc I totally agree with you but I would err on the side of caution rather than end up in a cell. I have checked this with a number of Garda and they have told me if your caught in possession of a firearm or ammunition without a license be prepared to end up in a cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sikamick wrote: »

rrpc I totally agree with you but I would err on the side of caution rather than end up in a cell. I have checked this with a number of Garda and they have told me if your caught in possession of a firearm or ammunition without a license be prepared to end up in a cell.

Well there are 18 exceptions to needing a licence, so I'd say they were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

LOL... I love this idea. I must improve my Machiavelianess!
    No, the reason why I asked for commitment from people is that it:
    1. Develops a base of authority for the mods.
    2. I had more then enough people I would consider for the job so might as well take community feeling into account.

but there wont be any "vote counting" :)

I've been a bit under the weather healthwise lately (nothing serious) but I'm working through this thread now...

DeV.

Advertisement