Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

% of degree in second year?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

does anyone know how much second year counts towards the overall degree? iv heard 30% and 50% but im not really sure! im in commerce in case its different for every course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

50% I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

50% I think

That's only for Arts.

Isn't Commerce 4 years? If not, I'd imagine its 20 or 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Standard commerce is only 3 years so I presume it has the same weighting as arts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm 3rd Commerce atm, but I did the semester abroad thing so my weighting is different (2nd Year = 18%, 3rd Year = 82%). I think the normal one is:

2nd Year 30%
    3rd Year 70%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's 30:70 according to the evil lime, who is in final commerce this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

yeah i thought it was 30:70 alright. it wouldnt really be fair at 50:50 with the course being so broad for 1st and 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louise88

I'm in second arts, and mine is fifty-fifty. I'd say try talking to the programme office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Second arts is different to second commerce...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

It's 30:70

Honours Calculation Methods for Honours Bachelor Degrees

I cannot find a link to the above document anywhere on the UCD website. I found it on Google. Basic, basic information. UCD are dire in this regard. Their online User's Guide to Academic Policy hasn't worked in ages. Noone seems to have noticed.

Also, from the above document:
    "A programme’s method of calculation depends on the year in which a student graduates, not the year in which a student enters the programme. Students who fail to progress and graduate with their class may be subject to a different method of calculation. To determine how your degree will be classified, please look to the year in which you expect to graduate."

Some of the classifications for 08/09 are missing, meaning there are current penultimate year students who cannot be guaranteed how their degree will be classified. Lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newgirlintown

I am in 2nd year arts but have not a clue as to how the overall degree is impacted by 2nd year results except that they are. Where can I find out does anyone know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Estragon

Arts second and third years have equal weighting.

Or, to put it another way, your final mark is an average of your final grades for all four semesters.

Or, to put it another way, do yourself a favour and put the work in for second year, and your third year will be a lot less stressful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

I'm in a denominated Arts Course and mine is weighted 40-60 rather than the 50-50 regular arts has.

Advertisement