Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend A Decent Graphics Card?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, we're looking to get a graphics card for our pc, nothing major! the only gaming it sees is the Sims 2 & Age Of Empires and the like (my girlfriend mostly, I game on consoles only) what's a good, not too expensive option to run said games on high settings?

Here's what we have now:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket AM2 1MB
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2 - 3gig
    Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2, AMD 690V+SB600
    Some 600 watt psu!

We're just using the onboard graphics chip at the mo!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Something like this if you want the option of being able to play more recent, intensive games at some stage, otherwise, something like this is more then capable of playing those games at high settings. Of course, the latter will play anything currently out, but not advisable for someone looking for a respectable gaming experience with the latest titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Something like this if you want the option of being able to play more recent, intensive games at some stage, otherwise, something like this is more then capable of playing those games at high settings.

If the 2nd option is up to running those games on high then that'll do, she only really plays one or two games on the pc herself cos she has a 360 as well that she uses for most games.

Cheers man, quick advice as always!

Similar card on Dabs - has it's own 512mb ddr2 as opposed to 256mb ddr2 w/rest made up with hypermemory - think their postage might be considerably cheaper that offsets the slightly increased price in comparison to Komplett.

Cheers man, a guy on boards is selling this...http://hi-techreviews.com/reviews_2006/HISX1900GT/P1.htm

Any thoughts? are the ones you recommended better?

Yes would outperform either card mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Cool, he wants €60 for it, I'll try and haggle a bit! how much is it worth about? (2nd hand)

As the IceQ model it worth a bit more then a regular 1900GT, so I'd say you'd be looking at 50-60 euro value at least.

Nice one man.

Advertisement