Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bridge .....

Options
  • 16-04-2008 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

How long would it take me to cross the river at Killaloe to the Ballina side arriving from Limerick at around 5.30 this evening? ....

I have to get to a place approx 1 mile out from Ballina ....

Last time I was up there I had to que for ages and that was mid-day .....

mapdata?Point=b&Point.latitude_e6=52805252&Point.longitude_e6=4286532559&Point.iconid=4294967295&Point=e&latitude_e6=52805252&longitude_e6=4286532559&zl=4&w=304&h=156&cc=IE&min_priority=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just drive out the Dublin road and take a left after Birdhill instead of driving out the Clonlara road and having to cross the bridge. That way you will be driving in on the Ballina side.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They have traffic lights at both sides of the bridge now afaik so expect long delays at that time of the day as people head home from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I chickened out in the end today ..... I need to leave Shannon just after 5.00 pm and be in Ballina around 6.00 ....... have to do this once every two weeks for the next few months .....

from a trial run just after lunch on tuesday and sitting at the bridge approach for ages I can't see how I can do it ....... maybe get a Helicopter or Boat .... :(

Just reread your post, and noticed you did not say which way from Ballina that mile is. Is it as you go out the Look out road (the left turn after crossing the bridge) or is it out the birdhill road (The right turn after crossing the bridge)

If it is the former, I would still travel the route I suggested in my earlier post, as although you still hit traffic lights, it is generally quicker that way as the traffic is not quite so bad at about 17:30.

If it is the latter way, then the birdhill route is far quicker at anytime of day.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just reread your post, and noticed you did not say which way from Ballina that mile is. Is it as you go out the Look out road (the left turn after crossing the bridge) or is it out the birdhill road (The right turn after crossing the bridge)

If it is the former, I would still travel the route I suggested in my earlier post, as although you still hit traffic lights, it is generally quicker that way as the traffic is not quite so bad at about 17:30.

If it is the latter way, then the birdhill route is far quicker at anytime of day.

It's the the Look out road .... the left turn after crossing the bridge ....

Can I get across Limerick and reach Ballina via the Birdhill road in an hour (from Shannon dep. 5pm) ...... :confused: if so it certainly looks like the way to go ...... trying to cross the bridge at Killaloe seems to me to be a likely nightmare between 5 and 6pm ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

hobie wrote: »
    It's the the Look out road .... the left turn after crossing the bridge ....

Can I get across Limerick and reach Ballina via the Birdhill road in an hour (from Shannon dep. 5pm) ...... :confused: if so it certainly looks like the way to go ...... trying to cross the bridge at Killaloe seems to me to be a likely nightmare between 5 and 6pm ......

It would be very tight to make it in an hour. It's the bones of 30 miles on that route and traffic can be very slow. You will also have the queue of traffic (waiting to get onto the bridge) from the Birdhill side up to the roundabout near the bridge (only one lane so there is no way round it).

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Try this route:
    Shannon
    Sixmilebridge
    Clonlara
    Killaloe

or:

Shannon
    Meelick
    Ardnacrusha
    O'Briens Bridge
    Birdhill
    Ballina

No delays in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you go up left as you approch Killaloe and then come back to the bridge from the Scarrif side would it be quicker?

phog wrote: »
    If you go up left as you approch Killaloe and then come back to the bridge from the Scarrif side would it be quicker?

Not a bad idea, to go left, up the hill and come down beyond the tennis courts to approach from the Scarrif road, but the problem would still be being caught at the same traffic lights.

Approaching from the Birdhill side is quicker at the time the poster mentions. I drive the same road three days a week at a similar time, coming from Limerick, and have found coming from the Birdhill/Dublin road side much quicker on average than coming from the Clonlara road to the Bridge and then crossing.

have been looking at the ideas above and appreciate the advice ..... I've now done the Sixmilebridge link and it certainly avoids Limerick traffic but as mentioned , you still hit the queue at the Killaloe side of the bridge .... :cool:

I was meant to do the trip tonight but made my excuses ..... just couldn't face that $$$$ bridge this evening .... :(

I was wondering about the Scarrif idea ..... might try that ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement