Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned/Derelict Dublin

Options
  • 16-04-2008 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hello

I was hoping that people might be able to point me in the direction of some abandoned / derelict buildings in and around Dublin. I have a love of photography and Urban Exploration. I'm relatively new to the area from Belfast and did alot around there. Any signposting would be apreciated. There are no particular preferences beyond abandoned/derelict. Somewhere like Bolands Mill on Pearse Street would be a good example. Anybody else have an interest too?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a thread on the photography forum about urban exploring at the moment, might be worth checking out.

Few of us are up for it, but trying to find places to go :)

There's some great derelict georgian and victorian town houses, but getting in is the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Up to the 1990s, parts of Dublin were nearly as bad as parts of Belfast, huge areas were cleared and turned into surface car parks. Most of these are now gone and the most you will find is individual derelict pockets.

1. The eastern end of Mayor Street, although a lot of the buildings themselves are gone at this stage.

2. East of South Richmond Street.

3. South of the Guinness Brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a good few around Dublin 8 if you take a trip. Around Cork St, then along the Canal, etc... Up around Harolds Cross in Dublin 6 there's a few shops and I'm sure you'd find more if you were looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

You could follow in the footsteps of this guy:

http://derelictdublin.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Cheers for the sign-posting... I'll have a little look around those places and check out the photo thread... might fing myself 'exploring' somewhere soon. Anyone know what the position is on Mosney? Is it going to be used in it's current role indefinitely?

• Advertisement

Who fancies a meet-up? I have seen several well located sites around Sutton/Baldoyle/Howth that could be done in one hit... well at least 2 could. I'm thinking some day between 25th Dec and 31st Dec when its quieter... PM if you're interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's some nice ruined houses along the river road between finglas and ashtown..spooky-looking too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

cozski wrote: »
    Who fancies a meet-up? I have seen several well located sites around Sutton/Baldoyle/Howth that could be done in one hit... well at least 2 could. I'm thinking some day between 25th Dec and 31st Dec when its quieter... PM if you're interested.

You'll get alot more interest over in the photography forum. If you scroll down on the Arts column you'll come to it 3/4 the way down. There are a lot of people doing that type of thing and are often arranging meet ups for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I'd be up for some Urban Exploring. Southside of the city if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id tag along. PM me!

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    You'll get alot more interest over in the photography forum. If you scroll down on the Arts column you'll come to it 3/4 the way down. There are a lot of people doing that type of thing and are often arranging meet ups for different reasons.

Thanks for that... I'll have a look... much appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

theres quite a few derelict buildings down moore street and especially the lanes leading off moore street,in particular the lane leading to the dunnes stores delivery yard,just dont go there alone can be quite dodgy at the best of times

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hutman

cozski wrote: »
    Count me in please

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

We've a forum for Urban Exploration - pm for access.

It's a bit quiet at the moment, the cold weather puts people off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

The old Player's cigarette factory at 276-288 South Circular Road would be a good candidate. It's actually - especially for a factory - a really good looking building. The style of architecture to me looks like art deco (in the same style as the Philips shop on Dame St.).

I was there a while back and took a few photos and had a look around. Apart from a few broken windows at the front it is completely unvandalised. The security booth at the entrance on the right still even has an old phone on the desk!

The locks on the gate have the name of a Dublin locksmith on them, so all in all, a very well preserved building.

The old Player's cigarette factory at 276-288 South Circular Road would be a good candidate. It's actually - especially for a factory - a really good looking building. The style of architecture to me looks like art deco (in the same style as the Philips shop on Dame St.).

I was there a while back and took a few photos and had a look around. Apart from a few broken windows at the front it is completely unvandalised. The security booth at the entrance on the right still even has an old phone on the desk!

The locks on the gate have the name of a Dublin locksmith on them, so all in all, a very well preserved building.

You've obviously never seen the back of it, on the Donore Ave entrance it's a horrible site tbh. See it everyday and it ain't pleasant looking at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

You've obviously never seen the back of it, on the Donore Ave entrance it's a horrible site tbh. See it everyday and it ain't pleasant looking at all.

Sound. I didn't actually know that the back of it could be accessed from the street, too. Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

I'm talking about the front of the building, which isn't a bad looking facade by any means.

I'll post my pics of it when I find them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

BendiBus wrote: »
    You could follow in the footsteps of this guy:

http://derelictdublin.blogspot.com/

Love the bit on Thomas House pub!

Few places here too: http://www.abandonedireland.com/

Sound. I didn't actually know that the back of it could be accessed from the street, too. Thanks for that. I'll have a look.

I'm talking about the front of the building, which isn't a bad looking facade by any means.

I'll post my pics of it when I find them.

Ye th front is very nice, but the back is an eye sore. There's actually two entrances, one on the side via St.Catherines Ave (entrance hasn't been used in years) and then at the back on Donore Ave (this is the entrance used by the by the film crews).

Advertisement