Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first cleat induced spill!!??

Options
  • 16-04-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭

Well I had my first this evening.

Was out for a spin on the new bike and not being used to the cleats i panicked when the damn chain missed a gear and got stuck..over I went into a thankfully soft muddy ditch.

I was on a quiet country road so was able to get back on just before a car passed me and saw me in my shame sprawled out in the mud!

Anyone else remember what their first spill was like?, embarrassment for me was the overriding emotion :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Mine was waiting at the lights on leeson street bridge, turning right towards fitzwilliam sq. I was just standing there and a bus passed from behind, going straight. My left foot was on the ground, right foot still in the pedal. I decided the bus passed a bit close so went to move right, and just fell straight over.

Yup. Pretty Embarassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Roundabout in the phoenix park-some granny going round at about half a mile an hour. Tried to balance the bike while waiting for her to go, whoops, bad idea-over I went and squished the banana I had in my pocket all over the place and smashed up my mp3 player-that little hardened fecker lasted another 6 months or so after that bashing, what a trooper! Only thing I hurt was my ego and my ribs a little. Worst part was being stuck to the bike and not being able to get out of the pedals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Approaching lights at Lamb Doyles somehow managed to not get foot out quickly enough,over i go in front of traffic on all sides,car load of birds next to me,managed to break little finger as well,nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

My first and only was when I had literally just got the things, leaning against a wall in my hall practicing clipping in and out. Balanced away from the wall just a little too far and down I went. It was a real slow-motion style fall onto (thankfully) soft carpet.

Have had a few close ones outside but have never gone over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

noblestee wrote: »
    Mine was waiting at the lights on leeson street bridge, turning right towards fitzwilliam sq. I was just standing there and a bus passed from behind, going straight. My left foot was on the ground, right foot still in the pedal. I decided the bus passed a bit close so went to move right, and just fell straight over.

Yup. Pretty Embarassing.
    bunnygreen wrote: »
    Approaching lights at Lamb Doyles somehow managed to not get foot out quickly enough,over i go in front of traffic on all sides,car load of birds next to me,managed to break little finger as well,nice.

Thanks lads, I lollered a little at those (sorry) !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

cunnins4 wrote: »
    Roundabout in the phoenix park-some granny going round at about half a mile an hour.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I honestly can't remember if it was my first, but my last was a couple hours ago!

Goin up to Howth, I hit a pothole and knocked something awry... left it till I hit the hill, and decided to check it out -it was one of the brake pads rubbing on the rim. Fixed it, and went to get back on the bike. New SPD-SL's... got one in fine, pushed off to get going, clipped the other pedal in and just sort of flopped over.... thankfully, the rest of the guys had gone ahead, so didnt see my shame! :D Only problem is that I broke half a cleat!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

my first was litrally about 10mins after I bought mine...

cycled around the shop carpark for about 20mins clipping in and out no prob. Went out on the road to cycle home. Literally 2mins later came to the red light on the road right beside the carpark and "timmmmmbeeeerrrrrr!!" Needless to say cars full of girls laughing all around!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I honestly can't remember if it was my first, but my last was a couple hours ago!

Goin up to Howth, I hit a pothole and knocked something awry... left it till I hit the hill, and decided to check it out -it was one of the brake pads rubbing on the rim. Fixed it, and went to get back on the bike. New SPD-SL's... got one in fine, pushed off to get going, clipped the other pedal in and just sort of flopped over.... thankfully, the rest of the guys had gone ahead, so didnt see my shame! :D Only problem is that I broke half a cleat!

OMG how's the bike? Is it OK?

I think the worst part of the fall over is the pathetic squirms to release the pedals while you are on the floor looking like a right wally (and probably hurting a bit from sore shoulder and scuffed knee or whatever body part broke the fall).

I got one foot out on the way down , the second one took a lot of squirming around to release, sooooo glad it wasnt in a public place !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Completed a 50km cycle with no problems and then fell off 10 metres from my front door!

Slowed down to cross the road to pull up outside the gaff and down I went right in the middle of the road blocking traffic. As I was struggling to unclip a taxi driver stopped and picked me up, strong guy!

He was a cyclist himself and was told it happens to everyone. My knee was hurt but my pride was hurt even more :o

kenmc wrote: »
    OMG how's the bike? Is it OK?

That was my first thought, and thankfully it's fine :D

That was my first thought, and thankfully it's fine :D

Hehe, I was the same OMFG..my lovely new bike!!!...

Its got a bit of dirt on there, but its been baptised now i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

micmclo wrote: »
    As I was struggling to unclip a taxi driver stopped and picked me up, strong guy! He was a cyclist himself

Big up for the Taxi driver (for a change).

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

My first time was when I pulled up a friends house out in the countryand naturally forgot to clip out. I came to a slow stop and just like in slow motion I toppled over. Funny thing was, there was a tractor ambling along and he pulled over when he saw me lying on the ground with a big red face - first question he asked was had I much to drink !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Touch wood I've not yet had my first tumble. Although I did come very close one day, was stopped on the side of the N81 near blessington, left foot on a kerb, right foot clipped in, on the phone, when a gust of wind caught me and I started falling rightwards. The person on the other end of the phone caught a load of expletives as I kicked and twisted my foot out and got there just in time. It's a horrible feeling, like just before you catch an edge on an Snowboard - you know that something is not quite right, but you're buggered if there's much you can do to stop it!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

5 weeks ago. Rode to the top of a line of traffic waiting at Sutton train station level crossing. started going over - panic - trying to click out - reaching for the level crossing gate - which hads a lot of play and did not stop me. Grazed leg stung like bejayziz. Thankfully the train wasn't going through the crossing when I fell - they would've had a great view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Last year in my first outing to Wicklow I met my training buddy in the morning for our first spin together, he was asking about cleats as he had not started using them. I told him they are great and I have never had a spill with them. I had been using them for months at that stage. At the top of our first climb we pulled into a car park area, I unclipped, then as we pulled out again, I clipped in, got stuck in the gravel and fell over.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Turned the corner onto the contra-flow cycle lane from Custom House Quay to Memorial road. Just as I did, a romanian beggar stands out into the middle of the cycle lane with his back to me. I come to an almost complete stop and screamed "watch yer back!", but by the time he's reacted, I'm already flopped over.

I resolved that the next time it happened, I'd just run the little ****er over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Only 2 days ago. Was coming back from a cycle around Howth. At this point I was quite proud that I had gone a whole week without a fall and assumed that now, being used to cleats, I was safe from falling.

Not bloody likely! Coming up to the crossroads at deansgrange, traffic on all 4 sides, I braked hard when I hit the front of the traffic saying in my head "now all I have to do is put a foot out...hmmm, it appears to be caught.....oh darn!"

I managed to unclip half way through the fall, so i was doing the splits under the full illumination of car headlights. I Clipped back in and put as big a smile as possible across my face, as I'm sure everyone was bursting themselves laughing at me.

And I scuffed my new pedal :(

EDIT: Also, thanks to Raam for the help with the SIDIs, they are fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not cleat induced but when I got my bike with straps I was cycling home, took a left turn a bit sharply, needed to take my foot off the pedal to try and swing the balance back, realised foot was now stuck to pedal.

I went down in slow motion, banged off a pedestrian railing and all the while waggling my legs like a twit desperately trying to get them out. I went into a heap. Pulled my feet out, jumped up and brushed myself off and tried to look like nothing in particular was wrong until all the cars that had saw the incident had gone. I know know to pull my feet backwards rather than sideways to get out of the straps :)

Getting cleats this weekend. I assume I'm in for more fun....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,977 ✭✭✭✭Stark

When I first got them, I used to forget to unclip my right foot when getting off the bike at the end of a cycle. Fortunately I had the screws loose enough so my foot popped out before I got hurt.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

And I scuffed my new pedal :(

Better the pedal than the bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I know know to pull my feet backwards rather than sideways to get out of the straps :)

Getting cleats this weekend. I assume I'm in for more fun....
    You won't regret getting the cleats, they are actually far easier to get out of than toeclips and straps (I had these before going clipless.) I've had a similar experience with a rented bike with toeclips on holiday, kept twisting my ankle out and wondering why my foot was still stuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Thinkfirst

After good few months riding with cleats I though this will never happened to me... but one morning still sleepy couldnt get my foot out and fell off stopping on one of the lights at Merrion Sq. Full of people crossing and a big traffic jam. I didnt see anybody laughing as I got up and rode away as fast as I could :o

Lesson learned: Dont try to do equilibrium on your bike so early in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

My first was stopping at lights where the actual traffic light is close enough to the edge of the path so you can reach out and balance against it....dumb ass here took his eye of the ball (or pole if you will) for a mere second, and realized that he wasn't stopping on said lean.
    Que, Del boy style fall thru the bar,:cool: broken thumb, and whats worse was a bus driver laughing his ass off behind me.... cycled home very very quickly and got the missus to drive me to the ER... nightmare.!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

seamus wrote: »
    Turned the corner onto the contra-flow cycle lane from Custom House Quay to Memorial road. Just as I did, a romanian beggar stands out into the middle of the cycle lane with his back to me. I come to an almost complete stop and screamed "watch yer back!", but by the time he's reacted, I'm already flopped over.

I resolved that the next time it happened, I'd just run the little ****er over.

Should have cracked him with a running...or in this case cycling clothes-line that would have been superb.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Turns out i broke a cleat, i only looked today. It still works, but one of the corners is snapped off and those shimano spd ones are 20 bills new from cyclesuperstore :(

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Turns out i broke a cleat, i only looked today. It still works, but one of the corners is snapped off and those shimano spd ones are 20 bills new from cyclesuperstore :(

Ditto dirk -they're that expensive, and the spd-sl's were that annoying, I'm seriously considering a 30 quid pair of spd's, and the sl to spd converter plate for me shoes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Had the embarrassement of falling live on radio! Doing the Ring of Kerry a few years ago was approached at the start in Killarney by someone with a microphone from a local radio station as I cycled slowly to the start line - the excitement of getting to speak on the radio was obviously too much for me as I forgot to clip out: "I think we'll go to an ad break"!

Advertisement