Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

horse riding holiday

• 16-04-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

im just lookin around for a little 4-5 day break with horse riding top of my too do list. anyone ever done a equestrian holiday in ireland??? if yes what was it like & where did u go?? lookin to leave monday - friday i hope. not much time but its all a lil last minute:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

PM me i know a great place in Co. Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Are you def looking to go in Ireland OP?

In Sligo there's a place that lets you take the horses on your own (there should be 2+ people!) and follow a route - google "horse holiday farm".

It's quite expensive tho, you'd be able to go abroad for the amount you pay! If you're looking to go away, I recommend a farm called Los Cerrillares in the south of Spain, it's fab!

I haven't been to horse holiday farm but I know it's very well run. Los Cerrillares, you ride in the mornings and have the evening off, great big finca (farm or ranch in Spanish). V. small village nearby, I recommend you hire a car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

www.clegganridingcentre.ie,

the website isn't great, but if you ring them you can organise a riding holiday, for much cheaper than anywhere else, and you experience breathtaking views and scenery in connemara that you would not see unless you were on a horse!(or hiking!)

or there is www.dartfield.com or .ie? not sure run by willie leahy, sound man, gound trail riding, and a great cross country course!

skink wrote: »
    www.clegganridingcentre.ie,

the website isn't great, but if you ring them you can organise a riding holiday, for much cheaper than anywhere else, and you experience breathtaking views and scenery in connemara that you would not see unless you were on a horse!(or hiking!)

or there is www.dartfield.com or .ie? not sure run by willie leahy, sound man, gound trail riding, and a great cross country course!

There is no cross/country riding at the mo. They are organising it at the moment for an up-coming event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭napoles

It's been postponed though... no new date released yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

thanks guys. its so expensive to do it here i may travel abroad get some sun at the same time for less money u know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

togster wrote: »
    There is no cross/country riding at the mo. They are organising it at the moment for an up-coming event.

that is indeed true, but i doubt lester here will be going on holiday before the end of may, when the course is definitely going to be open for general use again!

skink wrote: »
    that is indeed true, but i doubt lester here will be going on holiday before the end of may, when the course is definitely going to be open for general use again!

oh right...sorry! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

How about Annaharvey Farm near Tullamore or Castle Leslie in Monaghan?

• Advertisement

Castle Leslie is great! Quite expensive but you could stay elsewhere and just travel to the stables to ride each day?

I was racing on tue in punchestown & after a few winners i popped down to the shopping village on site. bought a lovely pair of leather half chaps but the stall next door i got talking to a very nice lady called zara stassin who is the managing director of zara's planet www.zarasplanet.ie . she was very helpful indeed. im going for the spain trip as i can fly from waterford to malaga for 250 return prices for the wk start at 900-1100 lots of beach gallops forest hacks etc on thoroughbred cross/andaluz cross. its meant to be one of the best beach rides in europe. think il book for early june.

Hi Lester. A friend of mine did went on a trip to Argentina i think with that company. She said that when they got there, they had to fend for themselves and that the company was very hard to deal with regarding complaints of unsuitable horses and bad accomadation. Maybe it was a one of experience and well Argentina is Argentina afterall. Just thought i'd give you a heads up!!

The holiday in Malaga sounds nice!

hey togster well as you said argentina is argentina im so looking forward to the trip to spain its a 2hr transfer from malaga airport but hey for the price of 5 days riding in ireland i can have 7 days in the sun with hopefully well mannered horses.

Hi lester! Cut out the middle man! You should try and book direct man. I know some people who went there aswell and had an ok time.

only an ok time??? tell me more buddy

Heads up also in Andalucia it's illegal to ride on beaches at certain times of the year (summer and maybe a few months either side, not definate sorry!) so if places offer you this it's an indication of the establishment. Note that maybe in some places it's allowed, I've just been told this is the case

I've gone riding in Andalucia and loved it, but I just found a place that charges by hour/ride and then leaves the rest of the day to you if you want to go travelling/site seeing (Rafael Soto at his riding school!!!!, Andalucian Riding School in Jerez, Pura Raza Espanol farms etc!)

Like that previous poster said, they had problems with seasonal restrictions and again sub-standard accomadation. I always think its best to book direct with the company. I have seen what some of these companies charge as comission and its ridiculous when 30 mins on a website will get you in direct contact with the centre.

My 2 cents.

Not telling anyone their business by the way!!

il take all the advice on board guys. i want the best holiday possible you know..

• Advertisement

Well I think you're def on the right track heading to Andalucia.

Check out the different festivals and ferias to really get into the spirit of things - my experience was that because it was so hot, we went riding early in the mornings, then had the rest of the day to explore/siesta/enjoy the sun!

I'm not sure of all the fiestas but make sure to check Sevilla & Jerez (altho I think they're early in the year - as in soon!) and then any local villages near where you're staying (that's why the hire car is recommended - also you get to visit fincas to see their breeding - stallions and new foals and all, it's great!)

Again...why pay someone to organise a holiday for you? Do it yourself!

But then again it's a persons personal choice.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

lester76 wrote: »
    il take all the advice on board guys. i want the best holiday possible you know..
    Lester, have you good riding experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

Just back from a weeks riding holiday near Seville at Epona it was fab better than i ever expected ride outs in the morning with lessons in the evening accom basic but very clean & comfortable food fab ! ! Fantastic horses forward without the accompanying vices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

re: Horse Riding holidays - my two cents

I've dealt with Zara and have been on this trip - http://www.zarasplanet.ie/horse/h_read_more.php?hol_id=17

I can highly recommend her company and this trip. She goes above and beyond and is highly professional.

majj

Advertisement