Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investment gone bad?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

I started a special investment plan with BOI in 2006, with a lump sum of 18 grand and plus 500 euro contribution per month with 60% in global stock and 40% in property. There's a loyalty bonus of 750 euro after three years if no changes in your plan. After the the first year, there was a profit of 1 grand on 24 grand. Now, as you all know the market went down hill early this year and haven't recover(and probably won't be in the near future), so as of last week there is a loss of 2300 euro of my investment. I have stopped my monthly contribution, since I can't really put away 500 euro every month, so I already lost out on my bonus (not too concern). I know that with plans like this one, the investment could go either way, but to go from one grand in profit to a loss of 2300 euro in the space of three months is a bit rough. The question is will I take the rest of my investment and put it in a term deposit as I can't see the market doing well in the next year or two, or will I just leave it alone and tough out the next few years? Just want some opinion/past experiences on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

How long is a piece of string.

If you could not live with loosing your money then take it out.

Its a long term investment and should be treated like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Dude it could be worse. My investment is 50% down after about a year and a few months. Granted I only invested 7k but still. And I work for said bank and all........

Advertisement