Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Landrover Defender

Options
  • 16-04-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Dose anyone on here have experience of the new Defender??
    How different is it from the old model in terms of reliabilty, running costs, on road driveability ect.
    Im looking at getting a van/jeep for business and quite like the look and image of these.
    This would suit my needs quite well and i like the fact it dosnt look "Flash" in the way a Discovery dose.
    I live in a rural area where a 4x4 is handy for winter, i also like to be able to tow a trailer from time to time, put my bike in the back, or canoe on the roof ect ect...but also use it for work and day to day mucking about.
    I would also like do join a club and do a bit of proper off roading every so often.
    The othrer option to this is buy a 4x4 estate like a Subaru Forester or something like that but that wouldt be as benificial to the business for financial reasons.
    So i guess im looking for something a bit different....prefebly Diesel, with a Vat Invoice.
    Before anyone posts and says that Defenders are rubish to drive ect ect......I have driven them before (the old model) and know what they are like.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could also consider something different in the other direction, depending on your needs:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Transporter/2.5-4/901452/

Ok ..this won't do off-roading, but it will get you through an Irish "winter", out a slippery field, tow a trailer, carry a bike and canoe ...all in considerably more comfort than a Landy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The forrester should have a diesel option pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hey Peasant, do you know when they started making a 4motion transporter? Did the t4 come with it?

I know the disco might be more flasher than the defender, but it comes with so much more spec also, I've heard the air suspension is a big selling point on them. And the new defenders are nothing at all like the old, wobbley, slow defenders, the new one I think uses a fairly good ford transit engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The T4 did come with it, only then it was called "Syncro" and not 4motion

(you could even get it in a T3 ..although that WOULD go off road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

The modern Defender has the engine from the Ford Transit van in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Max_Damage wrote: »
    The modern Defender has the engine from the Ford Transit van in it.

Am i corect in saying that th Defender uses the same engine as a Transit but ins in a different state of tune and uses many different parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

this one, should solve all your problems

http://www.seikel.de/de/index.php?id=1&cid=4&lang=2

its a bit pricy though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Am i corect in saying that th Defender uses the same engine as a Transit but ins in a different state of tune and uses many different parts.

Correct. It's a 'common platform', not 'the same engine'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i drove one,its a bit more user freindly then the td5 or any previous models in terms of engine noise and smooth ride plus the dash is loosely based on the disco,they got rid of the flap vents to make way for a/c for example
    you could tell that they are trying to tap into the landcruiser,pajero market with the extra comfort
    plus if your going to do some serious off-roading down the line they are the easiest thing to modify with winch bumpers,lift kits,rock sliders etc very handy to come by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

plus the landy is the only mass produced 4by4 in its sector with a centre diff. It's the difference between it and a car park warrior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

If you are coming from a previous generation Defender, then the new model is a significant step forward both in on-road manners and in interior trim/comfort levels. It will happily cruise at 120 km/h on the motorway, not something the old model was too happy with.

Coming from anything else though, it is still noisy, bumpy and cramped.

I'd recommend looking at the new Jeep Compass. Its about the closest in capability to the Landy for off-road, but they've now introduced a five door version and its transformed what was a pretty crude machine into a very useable everyday vehicle. Road manners and equipment levels are much better than on the Defender. It would certainly be my choice if I was looking for a proper 4WD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Lada Niva. Quite possibly the best off-roader ever built.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Lada Niva. Quite possibly the best off-roader ever built.
    id rather a pair of wellies :D

If you are coming from a previous generation Defender, then the new model is a significant step forward both in on-road manners and in interior trim/comfort levels. It will happily cruise at 120 km/h on the motorway, not something the old model was too happy with.

Coming from anything else though, it is still noisy, bumpy and cramped.

I'd recommend looking at the new Jeep Compass. Its about the closest in capability to the Landy for off-road, but they've now introduced a five door version and its transformed what was a pretty crude machine into a very useable everyday vehicle. Road manners and equipment levels are much better than on the Defender. It would certainly be my choice if I was looking for a proper 4WD.

Is the Jeep Compass not a bit of a shopping kart???
    Had a look at a few pics of them on Carzone and they look realy low....espcially in the front, i just cant imagine them being any good at all off road.

compasses are for bringing the kids to school them plastic bumpers wouldnt last 5 minutes off road with that road clearence, last time i checked i had 24 inches to the underside of my door sill,that is with modifications but its 24 inches all the same,i do like the look of the commander all the same, not sure price etc. etc.

landydef wrote: »
    compasses are for bringing the kids to school them plastic bumpers wouldnt last 5 minutes off road with that road clearence, last time i checked i had 24 inches to the underside of my door sill,that is with modifications but its 24 inches all the same,i do like the look of the commander all the same, not sure price etc. etc.

Do you have a TD5?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Is the Jeep Compass not a bit of a shopping kart???
    Had a look at a few pics of them on Carzone and they look realy low....espcially in the front, i just cant imagine them being any good at all off road.

Sorry, my mistake, I meant the Wrangler. The Compass is as you say a soft-roader for shopping trips. The Wrangler on the other hand is the direct descendant of the original Jeep, historically rather crude, but the latest version is a good all-rounder.

The Wrangler Unlimited is the five door version which is the one to go for.

Do you have a TD5?
    yeah have a td5,threw one of these in aswell for extra torque
    http://www.gtidirect.ie/sh744y.html

i used to love the wrangler but that that programme "queer as folk" just gave them a camp image i cant get out of my head when i see one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Sorry, my mistake, I meant the Wrangler. The Compass is as you say a soft-roader for shopping trips. The Wrangler on the other hand is the direct descendant of the original Jeep, historically rather crude, but the latest version is a good all-rounder.

The Wrangler Unlimited is the five door version which is the one to go for.

the wrangler, never really took off here in ireland. they are good off road, but not great to drive... there are quite a few grease niples on the underside that you have to top up every so often, and are around 45k new.

they depreciate fast too. and reliability not great .. very noisey on road, but fun off road, they look good in the dark green colour,

the defender couldnt be compared with a compass, a compass isnt that high, and wouldnt last 5 mins off road, along side a defender.

Advertisement