Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fighting a parking ticket.

Options
  • 16-04-2008 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but just wondering if anyone has experience in this.

I got a 40€ parking fine a few weeks ago. I found this unfair, as the area I parked in was not marked as being a pay parking area. In fact, the only sign on the street in question was the black P on white background with a red circle, indicating parking. Every other sign like that in the main town centre has the sign underneath saying "this is a pay and display area", but as the area I was in did not, I didnt put a ticket on the car. This was also NOT a town centre area but a housing estate.
    I took a picture of the parking sign and wrote the the council (meath Co Co, Groan....) with it indicating that it didnt seem fair as the sign did not inform it being a paying area.

I received a letter from them today saying that they acknowledged my letter, but I was still in a pay parking area, so the fine still stands. The reason I wrote to them in the first place was to state that there is no way of actually knowing its a pay park area as there is no sign to that effect, and the response they have given is that "well it is a pay area, so you have to pay".

I'm quite annoyed at this as I pay a lot in parking where its marked properly, and I am tempted to go further with this. Do you think its worthwhile going further, or best to just pay up the forty quid? I hate letting them away with this though, as I did nothing that the sign didnt indicate I could do.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can you post the pic.

road signs and their meanings are well defined and can be found on www.irishstatutebooks.ie

Have a trawl through it (it can take a bit of work, not an average joe friendly site) and if you think they are wrong then write to the local counciller and at least point out that it should be changed.

Search for 'ROAD TRAFFIC (TRAFFIC AND PARKING) REGULATIONS, 1997' to start off with and then check for amendments and references to road signs.:)

Advertisement