Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've never had an AMD

Options
  • 16-04-2008 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Well I have gone through maybe 10 pc's by this stage, not a huge number I know, well I have never had an AMD never even gave it the slightest consideration, is this the norm ? who out there actually buys AMD ? is it just because they are cheaper ? there was a time not so long ago when they were out on top but thats history and it looks like big bad Intel are going to be getting my money for years to come, I don't think this is a good thing I'd prefer if it was like Nvidia/ATI before ATI went to the dogs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only AMD systems I've owned were either old machines I got cheap/free...Xp's, Durons, etc, and a laptop with a Sempron.

PI -> PIII-> P4 2Ghz-> P4 3.4Ghz-> Core 2->Core 2 Quad

that's my order of machines...

A few months ago, X2's were good options for those who where staunch about not overclocking, did offer slightly better performance per euro...but not so much anymore with the newer cpu's. Phenom is a decent quad alternative for budget builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I've had a few. Athlon XP 1800 => Athlon => XP 2400 => Opteron 146 => AMD Athlon X2 3800 dual core. About to change that in a week or two with my first Intel since around 2001 by getting a Q6600.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭123

Started off with a 1ghz Athlon Thunderbird > 1.5GHz Pentium 4 > Athlon xp 2000 > Athlon 64 3200+ (Current) > Soon to be q6600 (Intel from now on i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pentium 75
    Pentium 133
    Pentium II 266
    Celeron 500
    Pentium III 650
    Athlon 1ghz
    Athlon 1.33ghz
    Athlon XP 1800+
    Athlon XP 2200+
    Athlon 64 3000+
    Athlon 64 3500+
    Athlon 64 x 2 4400+
    Core 2 Quad 6600
    Soon to be Q9450

That I can remember anyway, few 486/386 before that.

The pentium III was ok, but the athlon beat it on price/performance, and then the P4 was really a botch of a chip dictated by marketing, though they were on top for a little bit before the athlon 64 came out (I almost had a P4 2.8ghz before the 64-3000+ was available).

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

AMD were actually kicking the ****e out of Intel for about 2/3 years until Core 2 was introduced, Fun times...

But buying an AMD system now is just silly, Intel have the performance crown, performance per watt crown, bang for buck crown....

There is actually no reason to buy AMD right now so be happy with your intel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

i386DX-25 1992-1998
    Pentium 75 1998-2000
    Celeron 366, upgraded to a PIII-933 (in 2004 lol, thanks eBay!) 2000-2006

I was speccing a new machine since about 2003 but never had enough money. My hypothetical PC went from an Athlon XP, to a P4 Northwood (just around the time the Prescott came out and everyone hated them), to an Athlon 64.

Then I went on co-op and earned some real money, in that glorious summer of 2006 (well, glorious for Intel anyway). So I managed to avoid AMD's 7 years of actually being good and got an E6300.

I was with AMD from 2001 to 2006:

286 12MHz, 486DX2/66, Cyrix MII 266 (not by choice), Pentium III 733, Athlon XP 1700+, Pentium 4 2.66 (laptop), Athlon 64 3000+ S754, Pentium M 760 (laptop), Core 2 Duo E6420.

I chose an Athlon XP over a P4 mainly due to the cost but it gave me no end of grief, I tried three different motherboards to get something stable before eventually dropping the whole thing and becoming an early adopter of AMD64 - by then I started to realise that BSODs were not normal. But in fairness the 64 was a very reliable machine, never had a problem with it for the two years I had it. My only complaint was a lack of SSE3 support which is what made me get my current rig.

So I'm not a fan of Socket A AMDs but the 754 onwards seem fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

two AMD rigs.

(1) X1800 XP later upgraded to a 2400 XP

Simply cheaper than the P4s of the time with cheaper and better speced motherboards and equivalent performance

(2) 3500 A64+

Shuttlebox rig so the much cooler, faster A64 was always going to be the choice of CPU in a very small tight case.

In both cases both PCs were rock solid stable. Only issue I ever had out of two builds was a dodgy GFX card.

Present rig has a Q6600. My first Intel rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the pc i actually built start from AMD Sempron 2200+(2002-2005 ,budget and performance!),then AMD X2 5000+(2006) with an accident i burnt it ,thinking to change to Intel but fe*ck it amd socket modo less hussle just get a new 6000+ till today.

did AMD really kick Intel a** back then?from what i can remember is always us student budget choice:D

from my experience (intel laptop/some friend's pc and desktop AMD),i would probably choose Intel for the next upgrade.AMD cpu is not that solid as Intel IMO,just my feeling after using them for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭SeanW

Using an AMD right now, I started my S939 rig about 2 years ago, then upgraded it to a dual core, paid a lot for it too >_<.

My next rig will be an Intel C2Q, as it looks like Intel's offerings are going to kick AMDs around the block for the forseeable future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement