Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 8mbit connection issues

Options
  • 16-04-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Is anyone else having issues with their switch to 8mbit BB from BT in Swords or elsewhere?

The problem is I cannot get connected to the network. The line will sync no problems (8124/507) but I cannot get an WAN IP for anything from 20 minutes to an hour.

I don't think its a line issue as I can sync (could be wrong), seems to me that BT don't have enough IP addresses available. Once I get an IP it will stay connected for days, then disconnect (maybe their disconnection policy) and I have the delay in getting reconnected again. Worked flawlessly on 3mbit previously.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I presume you have already rang them about the issue? Anything said on this forum or any other is just going to be speculation on that sort of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Not yet (thats my next step) but was wondering if I am alone with this issue or was anyone else having the same bad luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Support should be you're first port of call for an issue like this not Boards. What difference does it make if other people are having the same problem at the end of the day this is a problem on BT's end and the sooner you call them the sooner they will know there is an issue and the less downtime you're going to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yes Mifta it happend to me last night for about 30 mins as well, and shoes have you ever tried to call BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

miftha wrote: »
    Is anyone else having issues with their switch to 8mbit BB from BT in Swords or elsewhere?
    Worked flawlessly on 3mbit previously.

Any ideas?

Just an idea but is your router compatable with ADSL2+? BT 8MB is a LLU so if its not then you need to upgrade or ask for a replacement if you use a BT router.

Like some have said, best to call BT.

• Advertisement

tried 2 modems, both adsl2+ so its not that!

At least it seems I am not alone (auvers, thx.

It always helps when calling support to say its a common problem (other have it) than letting them fob you off with some BS excuse!!!

belive it or not after posting this mifta the same problem arose again, if you ring BT will you post back there answer. Cheers

Oh yeah I am also on 8meg in Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

tried 2 modems, both adsl2+ so its not that!

At least it seems I am not alone (auvers, thx.

It always helps when calling support to say its a common problem (other have it) than letting them fob you off with some BS excuse!!!

Hi there

Does it happen at peak hours? Lets say around 6-8 pm?

Bohrio wrote: »
    Hi there

Does it happen at peak hours? Lets say around 6-8 pm?

it has happened to me twice at 22:00 until around 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

happening me to me everyday... last week it was happening between the hours of 4pm to 10pm, this week its sporadic, it went down yesterday at around 11am and only came up again this morning.

BT support will tell you nothing, they will tell you they are putting a call in to check the line at the exchange and then that will be the last you'll hear from them. If you do call again they'll say there must be an issue between the line from your house to the exchange which they don't maintain.

Basically people who got moved over to the 8Mb service are now BT's own beta testers for their new service.

Let us know what BT says, aside from their obligatory "hmm, that's strange! have you tried restarting your router?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

Thank god I am not alone.I am on the swords exchange also. My line will sync no probs aswell but will not connect. I have raang bt tech support about this and they have told me that they have not received any phone calls about this. I am throttled at the moment and I thought it could be as a result of that. I said I would call back if it continues after I get unthrottled.

Please anyone who is experiencing problem with their line in the swords area, Contact 1890923111. Press 1 to skip the opening times bull**** and wait. If the call queueing service comes on the line press 1 again and leave your name. I always do this now and they always ring back within a hour. We need to hound these people into fixing all the issues with the lines.

Its everyone affected on the swords exchange?

Just spoke to BT. This is a known issue. They just got an email about it 15 minutes ago - seems very suspect - especially since I told him others have the same problem so don't fob me off. They are looking into it and he believes it is only connected to the Swords exchange!! He will call me back later...hmmmmm be waiting for that I bet!

He seems to think it is an authentication issue, maybe, I suspect it is a limited ip pool issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Its everyone affected on the swords exchange?

Well, its also happening me in the Blanchardstown exchange. Every evening since I've been upgraded, from about 6.45 to 8.45 in the evening it dies. Sometimes I'll get it back up be continually rebooting the router; otherwise I just wait and it comes back online regular as clockwork.

Support are ueles as per usual - they want to do a line check, the usual. I spent all of yesterday from about 8am online, and it happened again at exactly the same time.

So something is up on a system-wide level...............................

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭M3RL1N

I've been having same issues in swords (RV), having semi-stable connection today though, but it's at 507/3618kbps wtf is up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Went down on me again, about 15mins downtime with the Internet LED on my Linksys router showing red.

Has happened a few times the last week, and I was on to tech support for an hour last week when it went down for 36 hours.

In Swords (Ridgewood), confirmed LLU upgrade but I never get better than c. 6Mbit connection.

Just spoke to BT. This is a known issue. They just got an email about it 15 minutes ago - seems very suspect - especially since I told him others have the same problem so don't fob me off. They are looking into it and he believes it is only connected to the Swords exchange!! He will call me back later...hmmmmm be waiting for that I bet!

He seems to think it is an authentication issue, maybe, I suspect it is a limited ip pool issues.

Thats exactly what they said to me when I rang today at about 17.30. Finally came back about 19.30

The chap on the phone said that they have gotten on to eircom as he suspects it is their fault and if they have to do work on the line I could lose my bb for up to 1 week.WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

PotBelly wrote: »
    Thats exactly what they said to me when I rang today at about 17.30. Finally came back about 19.30

The chap on the phone said that they have gotten on to eircom as he suspects it is their fault and if they have to do work on the line I could lose my bb for up to 1 week.WTF

I think they're telling porkies - I've been down for the last 90 mins on the blanchardstown exchange, again. 4th night in a row.

Can't be contention, surely?

Seriously looking like contention, went down at 7ish tonight. Went out and just turned back on, online in minutes as usual (pre 8mibt move). To me it is seriously looking like the have a contention issue with the availabilty of ip addresses! No call back today as I suspected, will call again tomorrow for the next fob off excuse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Same problem here (but only in the evenings) , also in Swords.

When I came back yesterday evening I could not get connected (again), even when trying manualy in the router interface.

This morning connected in seconds.

This is now going on for about 1 week, it looks like when people come home in the evening and all put their broadband on some don't get connections.

• Advertisement

Seriously looking like contention, went down at 7ish tonight. Went out and just turned back on, online in minutes as usual (pre 8mibt move). To me it is seriously looking like the have a contention issue with the availabilty of ip addresses! No call back today as I suspected, will call again tomorrow for the next fob off excuse!!

Hi, the problem is not contention but it could be related to your ATM link.

Its strange Tech Support hasnt called you back yet. Give them a ring just to remind them.

Dublin-Texas have you called Tech Support?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Hi, the problem is not contention but it could be related to your ATM link.

Its strange Tech Support hasnt called you back yet. Give them a ring just to remind them.

Dublin-Texas have you called Tech Support?

Oh yes and tech support is like "I can't see your account Sir" or "Everything is fine Sir, please reboot your router" or "There is nobody here who can help you, why don't I arrange a call back".

I have to point out, that I'm actualy a business customer not a home customer too. BT is my home office DSL provider.

In any case, yesterday and this morning no problems so far, let's see if it continues.

Oh yes and tech support is like "I can't see your account Sir" or "Everything is fine Sir, please reboot your router" or "There is nobody here who can help you, why don't I arrange a call back".

I have to point out, that I'm actualy a business customer not a home customer too. BT is my home office DSL provider.

In any case, yesterday and this morning no problems so far, let's see if it continues.

So this is affecting business packages(Static ip) and domestic packages (Dynamic ip). Does this rule out the ip address pool theory?

The Chap from bt told me it is a username and password authentication problem, which would explain the getting the sync but not connecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Oh thank God! I feel like I've just found an AA meeting and I want to get this off my chest!

[Pre-note - Been with BT for 3 years, in the last 6 months or so I upgraded to 8Meg LLU in Swords and whilst I was without broadband for about 1 1/2 weeks, BT's service has always been perfect. I have been a fan of them, but only because I've never had to deal with customer care/support.]

This issue started for me on Friday 4th April. Just like the rest of you, my connection went down and I started to investigate. Having a very trusty decent Draytek Vigor 2600VG, it was easy to get a lot of stats and information.

My router was getting a solid signal, syncing at 8064000 and uplink of 512000. And I mean SOLID. No matter how many times I rebooted, I would get a handshake and sync within 20-30 secs.

However, there was no IP address being assigned to my WAN, I monitored the packets/login requests going out using syslog, but nothing was returned. After approx 3 mins of requesting I get a "PPPoE No response from server side".

I called tech support, had to wait for them to call me back. I was ready for the retarded questions and they came quickly.

Have you switched off and restarted you router?
    Is there a solid DSL green light?
    Have you removed all the phones from the wall?
    How long is the wire from router to phone socket?
    Is it the master socket?

Etc etc. We ALL know the rules about BB here - we are not complete idiots. My router hasn't been physically touched in months, nor any extra wires/equipment added.

Of course he was convinced it was something to do with my router, not BT's exchange and wouldn't continue to help unless I had BT's original router on the line.

As pissed off as I was, away I went and got it and connected it. The fecking thing worked, and I thought damn it WAS my router, so off I went to purchase a new one. It arrives a few day later and I plug it in. Nothing. perfect Sync again, NO connection. Now I start to sweat, have I just bought another dud?

But BT's one back on the line, it doesn't connect. Switch it on and off dozens of times, never connects. So now I know that 3 routers can't fail on me within 48hours. Plug back in the BAND NEW router and on the 5th reboot it gets a connection! Whoohoo.

I ring BT with all of this info

"First we've heard of it"
    "Nothing's wrong with the exchange, it must be your line/router"

Oh F&^k off.

Decide I want to test the new router to make sure the line is fixed. Switch it off and on......no connection (still syncs), Bugger. It took over 5 hours before I managed to fluke another connection yesterday and now that i have one I AM NOT turning this router off again until I know this problem is fixed!

Thank you to all of you who have posted here. You have confirmed what i knew 2 weeks ago that this was a BT problem, and I'm annoyed I've just wasted 150 euro on a new router for no reason as the old one wasn't broken.

Please keep reporting back :)

whats the rule, if you do something for 14 days or more it will become a habit... well its been well over 14 days now. Every day my line will just die, go down for ~8 hours then come up again all by its self.

It also happens at around the exact same time so it can't be just coincidental. Oddly enough (although not really odd at all), it comes up at ~9am then goes down again at ~6pm, looks like the BT engineers are kind enough to turn on my BB when they come into work and then when they are signing out for the day just switch it off again. On the days it comes up at ~10am, i'm guessing Bob from BT had a few drinks the night before and came into work late so couldn't switch my line back on at the usual time.

At this point i'm livid, like the previous poster, BT tech support is a joke. At best you will get them to say "we'll get someone to check the line" at which point that will be the last you will hear from them.

There is frankly NOTHING we can do about this, aside from leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Just after having BT tech support call me.

They acknowledged that there was a problem (at least with my line/exchange) and told me it was fixed.

I told them it took me almost 6 hours yesterday to get a connection and that i was reluctant to test it again (ie reboot the router) unless they could either use the information to fix the problem if it wouldn't connect, or just fix the bloomin thing.

He assured me it was fixed, and I rebooted. The router did log in immediately, and I've now tested this 4 times, all successful.

Now I'm happy that i have the internet working, but I'm annoyed that I've wasted a couple hundred euro for a new router for no reason.

Lesson learnt? Trust your own gut feelings.

Lesson learn? Trust your own gut feelings.

no the lesson should be to post on here first seeing if others are having the same problems ;)

L31mr0d wrote: »
    no the lesson should be to post on here first seeing if others are having the same problems ;)

How many people are still having this problem?

of those left have you recently rang Tech Support?

How many people are still having this problem?

of those left have you recently rang Tech Support?

What is BT tech support going to do exactly? Its already been confirmed that BT knows there is issues in the Swords Exchange, also my line is coming up and going down at set intervals. This isn't some random problem on the line, it is BT doing some testing or debugging or something.

All the calls in the world aren't going to make the BT technicians work any faster. I'd just prefer if there was more visibility with these issues. BT should ring their customers if they are going to start experiencing downtime in a given area due to maintenance, rather than having the customers call a uninformed technical support who rarely know the full story, and go about recommending people to buy new routers or DSL filters when the problem lies with BT itself.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    What is BT tech support going to do exactly? Its already been confirmed that BT knows there is issues in the Swords Exchange, also my line is coming up and going down at set intervals. This isn't some random problem on the line, it is BT doing some testing or debugging or something.

All the calls in the world aren't going to make the BT technicians work any faster. I'd just prefer if there was more visibility with these issues. BT should ring their customers if they are going to start experiencing downtime in a given area due to maintenance, rather than having the customers call a uninformed technical support who rarely know the full story, and go about recommending people to buy new routers or DSL filters when the problem lies with BT itself.

Some people are back up and running....at least for the moment. If you want to be one of them you should ring them, dont be scared! They will need to know you are having an issue.. what if your problem is something else? Anyway its up to you, like you said, they are probably doing something at the moment.

Advertisement