Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 8mbit connection issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Bohrio wrote: »
    Some people are back up and running....at least for the moment. If you want to be one of them you should ring them, dont be scared! They will need to know you are having an issue.. what if your problem is something else? Anyway its up to you, like you said, they are probably doing something at the moment.

I have been ringing them consistantly, but its been in regard to being moved over to my business line. Neither BT residential or business tech support will deal with me until sales sorts out when they will be sending me my new router and switching my line over.

My call to them today felt like something out of a comedy sketch. I first rang the guy in sales that put through my order 3 weeks ago, he passed me onto business tech support, who passed me onto residential support because my line hadn't been changed over yet, who then passed me back to sales because they didn't know anything about why I hadn't received my router, who passed me back to the guy I rang initially who wasn't at his desk instead a lady answered his phone in his name, who immediately passed me over to corporate customer care who said they'd look into it and get back to me :mad: this took up 45 minutes of my day.

Oh and my internet appears to be up at home today after 6pm for a change. Although it did go down at 5:30pm, I needed to restart the router to bring it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,223 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Well I just came to the home office and my DSL won't authenticate me again.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

connection was gone all night last night again :mad: rang BT and got the usual response, we are aware of the problem effecting 8Meg local loop customers in the Swords\Blanch areas of Dublin and our engineers are working on it.

the support guy he did tell me that all the 8meg users have been lumped onto one server, so they can monitor the logs and see what's happening and come up with a fix answering why we are not being authenticated.

Auvers wrote: »
    connection was gone all night last night again :mad: rang BT and got the usual response, we are aware of the problem effecting 8Meg local loop customers in the Swords\Blanch areas of Dublin and our engineers are working on it.

the support guy he did tell me that all the 8meg users have been lumped onto one server, so they can monitor the logs and see what's happening and come up with a fix answering why we are not being authenticated.

I rang them too and for the 1st time someone actualy asked concrete questions and gave me the feeling he cared.

It came back arround 2100 in the evenig and this morning it all worked fine.

A support person called me back this morning, asked some more questions, did know when I logged on this morning and also gave me the feeling he cared.

So I hope that it will continue to be worked on and that we soon have a solution.

my connection is up... but at 0.8Mb/s :mad: as i'm now on a business line throttling should no longer be an issue...

guess i'll be giving UPC a call this afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

I'm away from the home PC at the moment, but I have a sys log monitoring my router, I've just been emailed by it 3 times this morning showing the connection dropping.

The "good news" is that it does reconnect fairly quickly. However this is not what I want to be happening!

I have been told to get in contact with tech support again, and I'll be doing that tomorrow morning ASAP.

In their defence - this is my first major outage in 3 years of very good service with BT, but I'm starting to lose patience at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I'm away from the home PC at the moment, but I have a sys log monitoring my router, I've just been emailed by it 3 times this morning showing the connection dropping.

The "good news" is that it does reconnect fairly quickly. However this is not what I want to be happening!(

Apparently everything should be better now, it would be interesting if people could test it this afternoon.

Remember that the problem here is that people wont get an IP address. So DSL is solid but no PPP connectivity.

For ex, pilotsnipes, your issue could be related to something completely different like MTU settings or DNS or even the PVC settings, we will see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Been having the same issue described here since around the time of the upgrade (on swords exchange). DSL link is ok but has problems obtaining an IP. Router log shows this (this happened as recently as 10am today):

Sending PADI.
    Resending...
    Resending...
    Failed to negotiate PPPoE connection: 0 Success

Some days I get an IP very quickly, other times it can take upwards of an hour. The connection also drops occasionally. I've noticed that I'm only assigned IP addresses in the 78.16.*.* range whereas before I'd be assigned to several different networks. Before the upgrade I never had any problems whatsoever.

On top of this, over the past few days I've noticed a degradation of service: hostnames not resolving at times, having to request web pages more than once for the request to go through and lower download bandwidth (get ~200kb/s from heanet on the 8mb connection) and lag in network games. I have a feeling it's got something to do with insufficient upload bandwidth. I don't think I'm being throttled but I havn't rung to confirm.

MickeyD wrote: »
    Been having the same issue described here since around the time of the upgrade (on swords exchange). DSL link is ok but has problems obtaining an IP. Router log shows this (this happened as recently as 10am today):

Sending PADI.
    Resending...
    Resending...
    Failed to negotiate PPPoE connection: 0 Success

Some days I get an IP very quickly, other times it can take upwards of an hour. The connection also drops occasionally. I've noticed that I'm only assigned IP addresses in the 78.16.*.* range whereas before I'd be assigned to several different networks. Before the upgrade I never had any problems whatsoever.

On top of this, over the past few days I've noticed a degradation of service: hostnames not resolving at times, having to request web pages more than once for the request to go through and lower download bandwidth (get ~200kb/s from heanet on the 8mb connection) and lag in network games. I have a feeling it's got something to do with insufficient upload bandwidth. I don't think I'm being throttled but I havn't rung to confirm.

Looks like your modem might have issues with their ADSL2+ line card.

Are you using one of their routers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I've had speed issues for the last 24hrs, still getting a connection but speeds fluctuating from 0.6Mbit/s to 3.1Mbit/s.

Had been getting steady 6Mbit/s until then.

• Advertisement

I'm using a netgear DG834 (which is adsl2+ and with latest firmware) in bridge mode connecting to a linksys wrt54gl (latest tomato fw). I don't think its the fault of my modem/router seeing as that sometimes it connects straight away without any problems (more often than not this is the case) and up until recently I was enjoying download rates of at least 700kb/s depending on source.

I'm using a netgear DG834 (which is adsl2+ and with latest firmware) in bridge mode connecting to a linksys wrt54gl (latest tomato fw). I don't think its the fault of my modem/router seeing as that sometimes it connects straight away without any problems (more often than not this is the case) and up until recently I was enjoying download rates of at least 700kb/s depending on source.

Call them (again) and tell them to run a line test on your line.

Doesnt really matter what modem you have. Based on that test if they find nothing wrong then they might send you one of their test modems.

Its not a problem with the modem not being compatible with adsl2+ but with the PVC settings (UBR for ex)

good luck!

Surely if something was wrong with my hardware it would never connect at all? Or at least have some sort of consistency?

Ill give them a ring anyway, thanks.

Surely if something was wrong with my hardware it would never connect at all? Or at least have some sort of consistency?

Ill give them a ring anyway, thanks.

Not necessarily, other router such as netopias 3341-3346 have the same issues.

In fact, Eircom has recently released a communicate were it informs that routers such as 3341-3346 will not work on their new ADSL2+ exchanges.

And routers such as 3347, 2247 will need firmware version 770R3 or higher.

Some modems like Zyxels P660 will need the encapsulation changed to LLC/SNAP. There have been issues also with some Cisco Integrated Services routers.

Router like Zyxels P623 and P630 will not work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭miftha

Still not fixed in Swords, just had the issue again! Another call to BT I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

yeah me too Mifta it was gone all night last night again :mad: this is starting to really piss me off :mad:

I think I will ask to be put back on the 3meg Eircom line not the LLU BT 8meg beta tester line.

Its a pity I am moving soon or I would be off to NTL this morning.

contacted BT this morning as i've been able to authenticate my business username and password at least once and they are finally dealing with me without forwarding me.

The guy got me to unplug all the phones in the house and leave them unplugged for 15 minutes, then reconnect the router only, directly into the wall socket without using the filter. After this I was able to reconnect and am getting 8Mb/s now (for how long though :rolleyes:)

The reason he gave was that unplugging everything will cause the voltage drain to drop off on my line, so that when I reconnect I will be given a new DSL connection at the exchange. Seems to of worked for me, maybe some other people experiencing difficulties can try it?

Today again constant disconnects and massive time between reconnects and when it connects the max I can get out of the line is 517.9 kbit/s!

It is becoming a joke. This is like 3, get too many customers and the service stops..

Not long off the phone to tech support (after an hour on hold, their call back service isn't worth a ****)

I'm getting a DSL connection on my Linksys WAG325 but the internet light was intermittent red with the Gateway Information page showing my internet connection interface as down.

Tech support was useless.

Am back now, but this is happening too often for my liking, I'm considering UPC tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pilotsnipes

Today again constant disconnects and massive time between reconnects and when it connects the max I can get out of the line is 517.9 kbit/s!

It is becoming a joke. This is like 3, get too many customers and the service stops..

I'm away from my PC again today not back til Thursday, but I've just logged into the router to take a look. Yep, looks like I had a few re-connections today, that last one was 2hrs 15mins ago.

As for the speed problem, here's a similar story:

Was talking toa 3rd level BT tech guy last Friday - very nice fellow, who actually knew what he was talking about. We were playing with my line for a while, moving it between VLANs (or something) seeing if we could fix problems etc.

After a while I had to go and cam eback an hour or so later to discover whenever I went to get my files that I was struggling to make 200Kb/s.

My connection with BT 8meg, for the past 6 months had me pegged at 810kb/s rock solid everytime I used newsgroups etc. Everytime, without fail and a solid 810kb/s.

Between 16 emails back and forth we couldn't get the speed to increase, at all, in the end I just went to bed and forgot about it for the night.

The next day, speed had jumped back to around 650-750kb/s and has never really improved...(unless I try to resync my line for a difference broadband speed but that's another story.)

My problem? 1) Why did waiting 12-18hours increase my speed
    2) How do you ring up and complain that you're used to 810kb/s instead of 700 and expect them to do anything. You'll only get the "it's what your line is capable off," Or "You're lucky you're getting that".

It's just fustrating knowing what I used to be able to get and now things have changed!

Anyway the point is dublin-texas, check again say tomorrow afternoon to see if things improve with you.

I was told that Tuesday was going to be the day they patched a lot of things to fix our problems, perhaps that's why we got disconnects today.

• Advertisement

265463247.png

This is a load of bollox.

Would be better off back on the 3Mb service...:mad:

speed is crap for me this evening. Can't even load into speedtest to check what it is :(

The connection problems for me have disappeared as of late but my speed has decreased a lot tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FiachraYeah

OK, where to start? I'm sorry that I've only seen this thread now. I've had this problem for over a month, exactly since the upgrade to 8Mb.

I reported all the gory details here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055227339&page=2
    and here (easier to follow)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055242081

It's important to note that I'm on the Dun Laoghaire exchange, so it's a widespread problem.

@Bohrio
    Someone else in the second thread above mentioned that it could be a PVC problem as well. Can you tell us more about PVC/AUTOPVC? What is it, and can we do anything about it?

I have to contradict you on the ZyXEL Prestige 623. It's working fine for me on the 8Mb service. (I get DSL sync AND an IP address.) But it doesn't have wireless:-(

Are you sure you mean "firmware version 770R3"? 7.6.0r4 is the newest I could find. Do you have a link to the new firmware, or could you show us this eircom communication?

@Everybody
    There appears to be an entirely separate issue with BT connections being dropped over the last few days. See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283861
    and here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283923
    It might only be 8Mb customers who suffer it, though.

Jesus, I'm pissed off right now

Well after V90 modem speed on my 8 MB BT line for the whole of yesterday afternoon/night I decided to call BT this morning and first thing I learned is that the 2nd level does not start before 0900 andn second thing that there is a major problem on the exchange in Swords on which they are working but as there is no SLA in place between me and BT I won't get a fast answer nor restoring of service as they don't know what's wrong.

I'm not over the limit (as a business customer I don't have one) and even if there was a limit I'm nowhere near to it either. So it's technical problem and not a over the cap.

I'm now on my backup solution (O2 mobile broadband) which is way faster than my BT line.

I'm going to give UPC a ring and see if they can provide me with a service here.

@Bohrio
    Someone else in the second thread above mentioned that it could be a PVC problem as well. Can you tell us more about PVC/AUTOPVC? What is it, and can we do anything about it?

I have to contradict you on the ZyXEL Prestige 623. It's working fine for me on the 8Mb service. (I get DSL sync AND an IP address.) But it doesn't have wireless:-(

Are you sure you mean "firmware version 770R3"? 7.6.0r4 is the newest I could find. Do you have a link to the new firmware, or could you show us this eircom communication?

@Everybody
    There appears to be an entirely separate issue with BT connections being dropped over the last few days. See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283861
    and here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055283923
    It might only be 8Mb customers who suffer it, though.

Jesus, I'm pissed off right now

Hi, first what you are experience is a completely different issue I know you think this is all related but this threat is for people having problem authenticating either on the Swords exchange or Blandcharstown and only on their ADSL2+ service.

If you are not on either exchanges your problem is to do with your router configuration. P623 are NOT adsl2+ compatible, you are connecting fine because your modem is negotiating using ADSL(1) mode instead of ADSL2+. If you want to check this find your attainable rates and you will see that the router wont give you more than 8mb (or 12mb)

Call them and ask them to send you a new voyager 210 and you will notice how it makes a difference.

To all the rest I have been told that yesterdays issues were apparently part of their troubleshooting as they needed to trace the origin of the problem. I have talked to them they said that they have put things back to what they were before yesterday's test (apparently there were some changes made last friday night, and it must have worked cause I didnt see post until yesterday).

Anyway we will see.

In regards the firmware version has to be 770R3 or higher. This is what Eircom are advising in regards their future network upgrade taking place within the next few weeks.

To all the rest I have been told that yesterdays issues were apparently part of their troubleshooting as they needed to trace the origin of the problem. I have talked to them they said that they have put things back to what they were before yesterday's test (apparently there were some changes made last friday night, and it must have worked cause I didnt see post until yesterday).

With all due respect, shouldn't they be telling their tech support staff so that when I spend an hour on hold they have some idea what the problem is instead of the usual "have you tried unplugging your router"? Getting seriously pissed off that nobody I talk to seems aware there is a problem, yet the service I'm paying for is not up to scratch. I'm paying o2 €30 a month for a backup service that I shouldn't need.

Speeds are up and down, Blacknight just showed 2.85Mbps/438kbps with the QOS @ 68%.

Speedtest a few minutes agoe was about 1800kb/s down now:

265652121.png

Also getting regular freezes where I'm still connected but I get 5-10mins of connection timeouts.

With all due respect, shouldn't they be telling their tech support staff so that when I spend an hour on hold they have some idea what the problem is instead of the usual "have you tried unplugging your router"? Getting seriously pissed off that nobody I talk to seems aware there is a problem, yet the service I'm paying for is not up to scratch. I'm paying o2 €30 a month for a backup service that I shouldn't need.

They do know... and if an agent in question is not aware of this then ask him to check with someone else...

If you find this is not enough next time, get the agent name please and send me a pm

They do know... and if an agent in question is not aware of this then ask him to check with someone else...

If you find this is not enough next time, get the agent name please and send me a pm

Will do mate, cheers.

• Advertisement

Well after reading this I disconnected my O2 broadband backup solution and went back to BT only to find that while speedtests tell me I have a speed of

265663633.png

In reality a download of a large file on for example apple tv (yes legaly purchased) or from microsoft.com does not really go well. Speed goes from anywhere of 11.05 KB/s to 418 kB/s in a second and the graph of the monitoring software is all over the place.

This is not what I am paying for!

I smell a 3 here. Wonderfull product until too many people sign up for it and than it goes down to the drain.

Advertisement