Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bio-Ethanol Conversion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

JHMEG wrote: »
    And you deserve nothing less, ya feckin Fianna Failer.

But on a more serious note, if it all goes well for you, which I hope it does, I'll probably do the same conversion. (Gareth Fitzgerald rocks)

I believe it's Garrett....and so he does. That's an old breed unlike some others....but I'll stop before Gandalf comes in and I get banned again:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Anyone know if you can claim a VRT rebate on a car modified to use Biofuel.

More specifically can you claim it on an imported car that has been modified to run bio-ethanol. Im thinking of importing a large petrol engined car from the UK and if I fit the bio-ethanol kit will I only have to pay half of the VRT due?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ferris wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can claim a VRT rebate on a car modified to use Biofuel.

More specifically can you claim it on an imported car that has been modified to run bio-ethanol. Im thinking of importing a large petrol engined car from the UK and if I fit the bio-ethanol kit will I only have to pay half of the VRT due?

I checked this for both BioDiesel and BioEthanol.

They declined BioDiesel as it can be run in any diesel with no mods, so if they gave a discount there really would be no pressure to actually run on BD. There also is no nationwide availability.

They declined the BioEthanol rebate as the E85 conversion has to be performed at the factory level, aftermarket kits arent supported. Also the "rebate" is not actually a rebate, its built into the VRT price of certain preselected FFVs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

From what I've read, that (valve seal hardening) seems to be one of the myths about an E85 conversion. I think you're more likely (tho not very) to have your fuel lines eaten.

From the Ford.ie site...

Technically, the Ford FFV differs
    from a conventional car only
    in that valves and other
    components receive a special
    coating and that its engine
    management system optimises
    performance according to what fuel
    it is running on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

From the Ford.ie site...

Technically, the Ford FFV differs
    from a conventional car only
    in that valves and other
    components receive a special
    coating and that its engine
    management system optimises
    performance according to what fuel
    it is running on.

That may be the case alright, but that doesn't prove that E85 will do damage to a modern car. Most of the stuff I'm reading says that it'll actually clean your engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

what MPG change are you seeing if any?

Any update on this 99er? How is the car running? More or less power/mpg?
    ninty9er wrote: »
    I believe it's Garrett....and so he does. That's an old breed unlike some others...

How relevant! Garrett "twin turbo" Fitzgerald!

Bit more Motorway poke in 5th, MPG not massively different considering most of the driving I did on Friday was motorway at 4.5k RPM or Dublin city centre in stop-go-traffic.

There's a bit more power, but nothing that petrol couldn't achieve with a few hundred more revs.

Only other difference I have noticed is that the car is slower to start, but I can live with that. That and the fact that to fill the tank has dropped from €63 to €50:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I really like the idea of coverting my Capri to run on E85. I might even go to the Ford main dealer after and get one of those "flexifuel" logos for the back. I'm slightly giddy at the thought.

maidhc wrote: »
    I really like the idea of coverting my Capri to run on E85. I might even go to the Ford main dealer after and get one of those "flexifuel" logos for the back. I'm slightly giddy at the thought.
    maidhc, I don't think the Capri would survive it. Seriously. I think you'd have to get a modern car (well, 1990+). How about a petrol focus to replace the diesel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

maidhc, I don't think the Capri would survive it. Seriously. I think you'd have to get a modern car (well, 1990+). How about a petrol focus to replace the diesel?

The TDCI is staying! Banish the thought!

I could replace the Capri with a MB w123 300D... and burn what ever burns though, they run on household waste by all accounts :D

I might even go to the Ford main dealer after and get one of those "flexifuel" logos for the back. I'm slightly giddy at the thought.
    :D:D:D:D

I'm after one of the Saab BioPower ones!!

I could replace the Capri with a MB w123 300D... and burn what ever burns though, they run on household waste by all accounts :D
    I prefer dead cats myself!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That may be the case alright, but that doesn't prove that E85 will do damage to a modern car. Most of the stuff I'm reading says that it'll actually clean your engine.

True, but no manufacturer would undertake any process that wasn't necessary surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭alias no.9

True, but no manufacturer would undertake any process that wasn't necessary surely?

You're assuming that there is a substantial difference between the flexifuel and the normal car. You could be talking about marginally different nominal process settings.
    Fear, uncertainty and doubt, or FUD to use the correct marketing term, are used to differentiate products that are the same for all intents and purposes but the which the manufacturer/supplier wants customers to perceive as being different.
    Ford get a substantial PR benefit from their flexifuel Focus, if it became apparent that the only difference was a software change in the ECU to allow it to adjust the fuel / air ratio and ignition timing, then the question arises why don't they enable every focus to be flexifuel? The answer of course is that then the cars would just be ordinary focii, not some super extra special green machines, they'd just blend into the background. Any 'Green' PR benefit is lost straight away. There would certainly not have been an opportunity to negotiate a VRT discount like Ford did on the introduction of the flexifuel focus, a further PR blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Bit more Motorway poke in 5th, MPG not massively different considering most of the driving I did on Friday was motorway at 4.5k RPM or Dublin city centre in stop-go-traffic.

There's a bit more power, but nothing that petrol couldn't achieve with a few hundred more revs.

Only other difference I have noticed is that the car is slower to start, but I can live with that. That and the fact that to fill the tank has dropped from €63 to €50:D:D:D
    I am interested in getting my car changed too.

How are you getting on with the flex-Fuel? Any problems with it?

I wonder can you get some road tax reductions because you change fuel types?
    and What did the Insurance company say about the conversion?

IT's still running fine, but will need to go for a second adjustment regarding the starter.

As the power is negligible, it's an engine conversion rather than modification (though I take your point) and I couldn't be arsed spending an hour trying to explain it to some imbecile at Hibernian
    . Basically it's still just a 1.6 Astra.

Otherwise all is going well and I'm happy I did it (other members of the household remain unconvinced). Happy overall, but I'm thinking I could have wiped 6 months payments off my loan with the cost of it. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

IT's still running fine, but will need to go for a second adjustment regarding the starter.

As the power is negligible, it's an engine conversion rather than modification (though I take your point) and I couldn't be arsed spending an hour trying to explain it to some imbecile at Hibernian
    . Basically it's still just a 1.6 Astra.
    I may be wrong, but it is best to check out with Hibernian as you may invalidate your insurance by not telling them about the change.

I will ring my own insurance FBD to see what they have to say about it.
    Otherwise all is going well and I'm happy I did it (other members of the household remain unconvinced). Happy overall, but I'm thinking I could have wiped 6 months payments off my loan with the cost of it. Time will tell.
    They might be more convinced when the price of Petrol/Diesel keep going up at a fast rate and E85 price increasing at modest rates. Take that in to account, your car loan might be paid off faster as a result provided that you miles per litres are still the same as before the conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

Hi All,

Where can I get a conversion completed in Dublin? I am driving a turbo charged car so I hopefully won't see fuel economy drop that much.

I am keen to get this done within a month.

Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I am going the chance it and just put E85 into the tank not using convertion kit

So far have reached a ratio of E40 fuel about ~50% E85 and ~50% E5 fuel

A lot of the blurb online at convertion to E85 sites suggests lots of run of the mill non high performance cars can often run E85 without any convertion kits

Turbo and supercharged types can have more issues and more likely to need suitable convertion kits

Issues that can happen with E85 fuel not using convertion kits are slow starting especially in cold weather and soggy acceleration

Hotter spark plugs can solve the slow starting in cold weather

Advancing timing can solve soggy acceleration effects

Soggy acceleration can be lack of fuel due to it requires 30% more E85 to equal Petrol

Increasing the size of the jets in asperated engines can solve soggy acceleration effects
    Increasing the time injectors in direct inject engines can let fuel in can solve soggy acceleration effects
    Increasing the size of the fuel pumps can increase the amount of fuel to engine

My solution is every fill increase the amount of E85 mix buy 5% increments

So far no issues and engine seems to love the E85

So far the MPG seem similar within a few % the same running on E40 mix

My car is a 1000cc 3 cylider non flex fuel petrol engine for a 98 Suziki Swift
    I suspect that when I get to full E85 mix the MPG could drop
    Fuel figure are ~70MPG high way at ~50MPH and ~50 MPG city with fuels

E5 E10 E15 ....E40 mixxes

With fuel costs in Dublin at E1.00 euro for E85 and E1.25 for for E5 it makes sense to keep running at least E40 mix as the saving seem to be about 15%

better than a kick in the teeth and hopefully the cleaner fuel will help keep engine cleaner than normal petrol fuels

Engine might act up before reaching E85 at mayby E75 ratios which seems to be where most engines start to stumble

Should know in a few weeks what the limit is

I have no plans to do any changes of any sort to the engine and will just back off the amount the amount of E85 I use if engine shows sign of issues

Derry

• Advertisement

Figure I am close to 100% E85 ratio and so far no issues

Worst case I am E75 ratio

As most fuels are not exactly correct generaly E5 is actualy E6 or E7 and E85 is probably E86 to E89 ratios I am fairly certain that the fuel ion the tank is at least E80

In a few weeks I will empty the tank with a long run and only put in E85 to confirm that E85 straight works pefectly

Only very minor issues is sometimes a minor small bit of uneven surging on accelerating hard in 1st or second gear (one time in twenty times more liklely after sitting a long time at the lights or in heavy traffic )

This problem could be sorted easily with a mechanic for ~200 euros of work

For me the simpler solution is to stay on E60% fuel ratios as that returns the best saving some ~10% compared to E5 fuels

keep you posted

Derry

keep it to one thread...we don't need the same post in 2 places.

Good to hear it's going well though.

Advertisement