Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office politics

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Do you believe that a woman needs to be tough to go as far as a man in an office enviroment? Is this just an excuse that some women use to treat people around them like crap?

Is it always the person in the office bossing others around that goes further with their career - even if the person has no reason to be bossing everyone around or a lack of substance/ knowledge?

If someone more junior is bossing you around - how should you react? I mean does it make sense for someone to ask you a question one day and tell you your answer the next as if they know and you don't ?

Is it possible for someone to go further in their career by having respect for people or is that naieve?

Is it necessary to lick up to the right people or do others see through this as much as you? Even if it is obvious do the people at the top believe it is genuine?

I'd love to hear your opinion on these.............:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

starbug wrote: »
    Do you believe that a woman needs to be tough to go as far as a man in an office enviroment? Is this just an excuse that some women use to treat people around them like crap?

Bad/insecure managers use aggression as their management technique.
    Is it always the person in the office bossing others around that goes further with their career - even if the person has no reason to be bossing everyone around or a lack of substance/ knowledge?

My manager is very friendly and kind, and I can see her becoming very senior in her career. Why? She's competent, intelligent and political.
    If someone more junior is bossing you around - how should you react? I mean does it make sense for someone to ask you a question one day and tell you your answer the next as if they know and you don't ?

I just wouldn't do what they asked me to do. They'll eventually cop on.
    Is it possible for someone to go further in their career by having respect for people or is that naieve?

It's not naive, but definitely ***** are more likely to walk over everyone to further their career.
    Is it necessary to lick up to the right people or do others see through this as much as you? Even if it is obvious do the people at the top believe it is genuine?

"Lick up" is the wrong term. Supporting your boss (no matter what) and making their life easy are good tactics IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starbug

"Lick up" is the wrong term. Supporting your boss (no matter what) and making their life easy are good tactics IMO.[/quote]

What does IMO mean? If you do more for the person at the top than on the way up and agree with everything they say, tell them how great they are etc..is that considered supporting the person? This is something I have never quite understood.........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

IMO = In my opinion

I would never tell my boss I think they are great or agree with everything they say, but I would do what they ask me to do (even if I disagree with them) and support them in front of other managers/staff (again, even if I disagree with them.)

Basically I am saying I will always be on my manager's side, and I will always respect that they are my boss.

I don't think this is licking up. Manager's need the support of their team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 starbug

Any other opinions???:confused:

Advertisement