Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I posted this in another thread, and although i did get a reply (thanks Longrangedriver), i dont want to hijack that thread... so here's my problem:

Nearly a month ago (3.5 weeks to be precise) i was caught speeding... i was wrong blah blah..

The garda that stopped me told me i had 28 days to pay the fine, or else court. He never gave me a receipt or any paperwork to do with the offence.
    I have since received no letter in the post instructing me to pay the fine, telling me about my points etc.
    So do i have 28 days from the offence (meaning deadline next week) or 28 days from receipt of the letter to pay up?

Also, when i was caught i was on a provisional licence, but i have since passed my test and have a full licence. Could this mean my paperwork for the speeding got lost in the system and the points/fine now do not apply?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and i'll probably ring the gards to see what they say anyway if no letter arrives.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

forbz86 wrote: »
    I posted this in another thread, and although i did get a reply (thanks Longrangedriver), i dont want to hijack that thread... so here's my problem:

Nearly a month ago (3.5 weeks to be precise) i was caught speeding... i was wrong blah blah..

The garda that stopped me told me i had 28 days to pay the fine, or else court. He never gave me a receipt or any paperwork to do with the offence.
    I have since received no letter in the post instructing me to pay the fine, telling me about my points etc.
    So do i have 28 days from the offence (meaning deadline next week) or 28 days from receipt of the letter to pay up?

Also, when i was caught i was on a provisional licence, but i have since passed my test and have a full licence. Could this mean my paperwork for the speeding got lost in the system and the points/fine now do not apply?

Any help is greatly appreciated, and i'll probably ring the gards to see what they say anyway if no letter arrives.

Thanks.

AFAIK you need to get notification in the post before you do anything, it can take up to 6 weeks to get notification and you then have 28days to pay it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AFAIK, they have 6 months to send you the notification.

You have 28 days to pay after the date of the notification.

Advertisement