Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5 running lights - can they be switched off?

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Every A5 I've seen to date has had those LED running lights turned on. I don't like them in the R8 and I don't like them in the A5.. I share Clarkson's view that they remind me of a council house at Christmas time.

But anyway, are they the new HIDs, in that the owners simply have to turn them on as "they look cool", or are they like Volvo genuine running lights?

_Y8F4786.jpg

(Post inspired by Audi LED running lights? No thanks)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You can turn off the lights in Volvos before you start. It rests to DRL every time you restart though:D!

Presumably the L eyes in Audis can be turned off too, otherwise they'd be illegal to drive in Portugal(in Portugal it's against the law to have any lights on during the day).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JHMEG wrote: »
    Every A5 I've seen to date has had those LED running lights turned on. I don't like them in the R8 and I don't like them in the A5.. I share Clarkson's view that they remind me of a council house at Christmas time.

But anyway, are they the new HIDs, in that the owners simply have to turn them on as "they look cool", or are they like Volvo genuine running lights?

_Y8F4786.jpg

(Post inspired by Audi LED running lights? No thanks)

I just picked up my A5 last week. The DRL are set on the in car display to either come on with the ignition or to stay off. I have them on. I like the look when its just getting dark in the evening. Dont like them on the new model A4 though as they are an odd shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mickdw wrote: »
    I just picked up my A5 last week. The DRL are set on the in car display to either come on with the ignition or to stay off. I have them on. I like the look when its just getting dark in the evening. Dont like them on the new model A4 though as they are an odd shape.
    Ok, thanks. It's the "they look cool" reason then..

Ok, thanks. It's the "they look cool" reason then..

Well they are 'daytime running lights'. Just watch everyone else follow with the LEDs

Well they are 'daytime running lights'.
    Which are only required in Scandanavia and a few other places...

• Advertisement

There is a push on here in ireland also to drive with lights on during the day. It a good thing in my opinion. Then being LEDs they use very little energy while producing quite a piercing light so its all good.

If ya had them, you would use them!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

There is a push on here in ireland also to drive with lights on during the day. It a good thing in my opinion. Then being LEDs they use very little energy while producing quite a piercing light so its all good.

If ya had them, you would use them!:D

I don't think those Audi LEDs are very effective, they're just a design feature IMO. Proper headlight DRLs on the other hand I would wholeheartedly applaud Audi for installing.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

...true, but they do make your car more visible, especially on dirty winter days. A few years ago Eircom told all their van drivers to leave lights on day and night for the winter and their accident rate halved. It costs nothing so I'll leave the DRLs switched on in my Volvo if you don't mind. Only a dealer can disable it on the S80 anyway.

They sure turn heads on the A5!

They sure turn heads on the A5!
    Which I'd say is the real reason for leaving them on!

@TychoCaine, it was estimated a few years ago by one of the motoring magazines that it costs €40 a year to leave DRL on on a typical car. Fuel prices have doubled, so unless you're using Audi LEDs you're looking at €80 year. In the case of LEDs it's probably €10 a year or less. One thing is for sure tho, it doesn't cost nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

ninty9er wrote: »
    I don't think those Audi LEDs are very effective, they're just a design feature IMO. Proper headlight DRLs on the other hand I would wholeheartedly applaud Audi for installing.

Ask yourself what the point of DRLs is... is it to illuminate things you're driving towards or is it to ensure that other people see you?

The LEDs are VERY visible, and whether you like the look or not, you can't argue with the fact that you'll spot an A5 quicker if the driver has them on.

Therefore, they are perfectly effective!
    TychoCaine wrote: »
    ...true, but they do make your car more visible, especially on dirty winter days. A few years ago Eircom told all their van drivers to leave lights on day and night for the winter and their accident rate halved. It costs nothing so I'll leave the DRLs switched on in my Volvo if you don't mind. Only a dealer can disable it on the S80 anyway.

+1

It's repeatedly statistically proven that having either DRLs or leaving your dips on all the time will reduce the likelihood you'll be involved in an accident.

If you have a Volvo or Saab (or A4/A5...), leave the lights enabled. If you don't, then turn your lights on manually and keep them on - it'll keep you safe!

@TychoCaine, it was estimated a few years ago by one of the motoring magazines that it costs €40 a year to leave DRL on on a typical car. Fuel prices have doubled, so unless you're using Audi LEDs you're looking at €80 year. In the case of LEDs it's probably €10 a year or less. One thing is for sure tho, it doesn't cost nothing.

I'll happily pay €80 a year to decrease the likelihood of being involved in an accident.

I think you're nit-picking this point... :)

I completely disagree that they are as effective as DRL, They are NOT DRL. They are jumped up parking lights and are NOT very visible. I can't say I've ever noticed them on an A5 apart from passing one that was stopped in traffic while walking at dusk. Not at all noticible otherwise.

On the original question. Autocar tells us that they can be disabled somewhere in the depths of the MMI system.

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'll happily pay €80 a year to decrease the likelihood of being involved in an accident.

I think you're nit-picking this point... :)
    Chris, my point is are people leaving them on cos they "decrease the liklihood of an accident" or "they look cool". The one A5 owner on this thread leaves them on cos he likes the look of them.

I think you're codding yourself at this point:)

ninty9er wrote: »
    On the original question. Autocar tells us that they can be disabled somewhere in the depths of the MMI system.

Iirc - Push the "Car" button on your MMI, scroll down to Day Running Lights, change setting to Off.

Hardly "in the depths"... :rolleyes:

AudiChris wrote: »
    Iirc - Push the "Car" button on your MMI, scroll down to Day Running Lights, change setting to Off.

Hardly "in the depths"... :rolleyes:
    99er drives an Astra. Forgive him for not knowing his way around the MMI, whatever that is.

But since it's so easy to turn off, makes me curious why no A5 I've seen has them off?

Chris, my point is are people leaving them on cos they "decrease the liklihood of an accident" or "they look cool". The one A5 owner on this thread leaves them on cos he likes the look of them.

I think you're codding yourself at this point:)

I read three questions in your OP:

first was "can they be turned off?"
    Yep

second was "are people leaving them on because they think they look cool?"
    Mickdw, as a new owner thinks they do, and so is leaving them on. I'm sure people who don't like them, but who like the rest of the A5 enough to buy one will turn them off.

and third was "are they real DRLs?"
    This is my point to ninety9er - if the definition of a DRL is a light on the car that's on during the day with the purpose of making the car more visible, then I think they are real DRLs.

99er drives an Astra. Forgive him for not knowing his way around the MMI, whatever that is.

I do indeed and I manage to find the headlight switch and turn it on whatever time of the day I'm driving;)

But since it's so easy to turn off, makes me curious why no A5 I've seen has them off?

My :rolleyes: was for Autocar for describing the functionality as "in the depths". I don't know ninety9er's knowledge of MMI.

As for turning them off, I don't know why either. Whenever I'm driving ours I always have the dips on, which dims the LEDs. I prefer driving with dims, as it lights up the rear lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

DRL daytime (time when the sun is visible in the sky) running (when you are out driving ) lights (a source of illumination)

I tihnk the check all of the above boxes! if the look cool then thats an added bonus!

Such a typical irish repsonse isnt it "look at your man with his LEDs on his A5 who does he tihnk he is,why doesnt he turn them off and not make it so obvious he is driving an A5"

Would one say the same tihng about countless BMW drives with their praking..oops sorry i mean celis rings(angel eyes) on?

Did you start a similiar thread back in the day when BMW introduced these,i tried searching but the database didnt go back that far :)

Another pointless nit picking audi bashing thread!!

What next? "can that annoying chirp on audi alarms be de-activated?" it really annoys me when im in tesco car park and some hooray henry of an audi driver has the cheek to open his car while im around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

tossy wrote: »

Would one say the same tihng about countless BMW drives with their praking..oops sorry i mean celis rings(angel eyes) on?

Those AND their foglights of course :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I think these lights are very effective.
    I dont drive an audi, i don't really like audi's but i have noticed A5's and the few R8's around due to these lights.

They really stand out in traffic during the day.

As i drive a horrible Van most days its all the easier to see these people in mirrors, when somebody has notice me lights on!

While the owner of the audi thinks they look cool i do agree, mostly a show off thing. But if every car had them they would be an effective safety device!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

cabrwab wrote: »
    They really stand out in traffic during the day.
    As i drive a horrible Van most days its all the easier these people in mirrors, when somebody has notice me lights on!

Nuff said - anything else is just "Look what they've got that I don't"

this thread is total nonsense.

fair enough made a mistake!

No i don't care if they have one! just saying it is easy to see them! not in a wow they have an A4 with no back doors!

R8 respect. But the type of light LED's produce stands out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

cabrwab - I'm not sure if you were refering to my post - I was agreeing with you, you hit the nail on the head - cars with them on stand out - therefore its an important safety device.

My point was anyone bitching about them is probably just jealous they don't have an A5.

Did you start a similiar thread back in the day when BMW introduced these,
    Every BMW driver didn't drive around with them on all the time.

Personally I find the glare from the Audi lights distracting and if anything I'd say they are more likely to cause an accident when on.

I do think that they detract from an otherwise very handsome car.

Oh sorry rob thought you were whoops!

Thanks for the back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Personally I find the glare from the Audi lights distracting and if anything I'd say they are more likely to cause an accident when on.

Do you find all DRLs distracting? I think you're making up BS now just to save face.

These lights are useful for making other road users aware of their presence. If they look good also then good for the driver. But at the end of the day they increase safety so I don't see what your problem with them is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

QUOTE]

On the newer LCI models there are DRL also. These are seperate to the parking lights and run with the lights off. Again they can be switched off thru the idrive if desired.

TBH if someone buys a car and likes the idea of leaving the DRL on (even if it is because the look "cool" , best of luck to them.) I dont see why the Op should "pick on" some A5 drivers because they think DRLs are cool. Why not pick on S-Line or M-Sport model owners who think they look cooler than the standard model. Why not pick on the owners of white cars who think they look cool... where do you draw the line? As far as I'm concerned as long as they are not overly distracting then I have no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Fact is they do look good - majority of people would agree and it can't be denied that they do catch the eye which makes the car instantly noticeable on the road and hence, increased safety/visbilty ... most of the time accompanied by envy :rolleyes:

Mickdw .. congrats - its a gorgeous car!

Advertisement