Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5 running lights - can they be switched off?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'll happily pay €80 a year to decrease the likelihood of being involved in an accident.

I think you're nit-picking this point... :)

Totally agree, I always drive with dips or front fogs on during the day (turn the fogs off at normal lighting up time though), €80 is nothing compared to the cost of being in an accident.

DLR's should be standard safety kit, just like seat belts and ABS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

ninty9er wrote: »
    I completely disagree that they are as effective as DRL, They are NOT DRL. They are jumped up parking lights and are NOT very visible. I can't say I've ever noticed them on an A5 apart from passing one that was stopped in traffic while walking at dusk. Not at all noticible otherwise.

On the original question. Autocar tells us that they can be disabled somewhere in the depths of the MMI system.

Do you drive much, I've passed plenty of A5's on the road, and they are very noticable with those lights. Maybe its time for an eye test ninty9er.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

bman wrote: »
    Do you find all DRLs distracting?
    Not the normal ones, no.
    bman wrote: »
    But at the end of the day they increase safety so I don't see what your problem with them is.
    If they're distracting they're harldy increasing safety.

The real BS is that people are turning them on cos the look cool, and trying to disguise it as a safety thing. At least Mickdw is being honest.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

JHMEG wrote: »
    Not the normal ones, no.

If they're distracting they're harldy increasing safety.

The real BS is that people are turning them on cos the look cool, and trying to disguise it as a safety thing. At least Mickdw is being honest.

I love this logic, they aren't any good as DRLs but they are 'distracting'. You can't have it both ways.

Imo the look good and are a safety feature also. Only the worst of begrudgers could have a problem with that.

copacetic wrote: »
    I love this logic, they aren't any good as DRLs
    Where did I say that?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

presumably it is what you meant with the absolute rubbish below:
    Personally I find the glare from the Audi lights distracting and if anything I'd say they are more likely to cause an accident when on.

apparently they are so bright they blind people who then crash into you?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I was about to say they are the 21st Century, celtic tiger equivilant of those 'Knight Rider' lights from the '80s but apparantly if you expess an opinion about something you consider distasteful you will automatically be labelled as a begrudger...

i'm ambivilant about them to be honest - don't consider them as vulgar as Clarkson suggests nor do I consider them as ****-cool as some.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Every BMW driver didn't drive around with them on all the time.

I presume you canvased every BMW driver at the time yes? just like you have canvassed every A5 driver today.

What a nonsense statement,it reeks of back tracking and BS to cover up what is nothing more than nit picking on your behalf-ive noticed that saab are the latest manufacturer to copy these lights,when are we going to see the saab bashing posts?

Whats even more incredulous is the OP,when i first opened this thread i thought he/she was thinking of buying an A5 or had an A% and was wondering about it for ma personal perspective,no no they were just sick to the teth of A5 users on the road with there "look at me" lights turned on,jesus if people cared half as much about the real issues of the day!

This country and its begrudgery had gone to the dogs.

copacetic wrote: »
    presumably it is what you meant with the absolute rubbish below:

apparently they are so bright they blind people who then crash into you?
    :rolleyes:
    Yesterday there was an A5 waiting at a side road to pull out with his LEDs on. They caught my eye and I glanced over (ie distracted me). In the split second that I did so I nearly rear ended the car in front of me.

I have already said that the A5 is otherwise handsome, here and on other threads.

Now copaceptic, tossy etc, if you're too thick to understand this, then please don't post any more crap on this thread.

Yesterday there was an A5 waiting at a side road to pull out with his LEDs on. They caught my eye and I glanced over (ie distracted me). In the split second that I did so I nearly rear ended the car in front of me.

I have already said that the A5 is otherwise handsome, here and on other threads.

Now copaceptic, tossy etc, if you're too thick to understand this, then please don't post any more crap on this thread.

Sign of less than competent driving to me letting every little thing draw your attention from the road esp in traffic? if a set of shiny lights does this i'd hate to see your reaction to a beautiful girl or man or a nice shiney flawless (perfect car in every way even the little round lights) BMW,i'd say you'd rear end the car in front instantly in the excitement!

Now the above bit is petty on my behalf but deliberately so,you have drawn it out of me with your last pointless post,i'm too thick to realize you haven't got a valid point beyond audi nit picking? or am i too thick because you realize you are losing this argument and you have resorted to personal insults to try find and out? i feel its the latter.

• Advertisement

What did I say about posting crap, tossy?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

tossy wrote: »
    Sign of less than competent driving to me letting every little thing draw your attention from the road esp in traffic? if a set of shiny lights does this i'd hate to see your reaction to a beautiful girl or man or a nice shiney flawless (perfect car in every way even the little round lights) BMW,i'd say you'd rear end the car in front instantly in the excitement!

Now the above bit is petty on my behalf but deliberately so,you have drawn it out of me with your last pointless post,i'm too thick to realize you haven't got a valid point beyond audi nit picking? or am i too thick because you realize you are losing this argument and you have resorted to personal insults to try find and out? i feel its the latter.

Very well put,

To be honest I was gonna say stop being such a begrudger JHMEG but i edited it out of my last post incase you took it personally...

They do their job in increasing the cars visibility AND look good - whats wrong with that.

...If Honda came up with the idea you would forever be prasing them :rolleyes: and don't say you wouldn't because you know you would.

...Also, LED will be the next major jump in Lighting technology as Xenon was to Halogens .... although youll probably have had your nervous breakdown by then!

Ok, it's been established that:
    a) they can be turned off
    b) they are turned off by default
    c) some people turn them on cos they "look cool"
    d) some people think they are a safety feature
    e) some people find them distracting
    f) some people think they look tacky
    g) the people in f) are apparently begrudgers

Unkle or kbannon, will one of ye close this thread please.

EDIT: @C_Breeze, you're going back on the ignore list. I thought you had gotten over your little 'problem'.

g) the people in
    h) are apparently begrudgers
    i)you seem to have a problem with audi
    j)you get peyty when losing a debate.

why close the thread is because its done to death or because you are on the back foot??

@C_Breeze, you're going back on the ignore list. I thought you had gotten over your little 'problem'.

Honestly why are you so easily irritated, i've nothing personally against you but it's just my opinion.

You just come out with some funny stuff sometimes

Anyway, theyre only lights FFS who cares :pac:!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

audidarklites1la7.jpg
    Classy

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have to give my 2 cents. I passed an 08 A5 this morning and thought it was absolutely gorgeous. I then noticed the lights, they stood out but definitely were not distracting. JHMEG is perfectly entitled to think they are distracting because this is his own opinion, on the other hand if he finds that they are distracting then I can only imagine that alot less smaller distractions could cause serious trouble :)

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    i)you seem to have a problem with audi
    Jeez tossy you really are thick! I like the A5. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Slaanesh wrote: »
    JHMEG is perfectly entitled to think they are distracting because this is his own opinion, on the other hand if he finds that they are distracting then I can only imagine that alot less smaller distractions could cause serious trouble :)

vette1m.jpg

:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

You are clearly batting for the other team :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Ok, it's been established that:
    g) the people in f) are apparently begrudgers

Unkle or kbannon, will one of ye close this thread please.

EDIT: @C_Breeze, you're going back on the ignore list. I thought you had gotten over your little 'problem'.

Terrible when thinly-disguised envy comes back and bites you in the arse:rolleyes: Seconding the close of the thread though; even if the reason for its descent into the usual steaming pile of ****e is you.

The Autocar journalist guy must be seriously envious alright, just like I am:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'm off to order a new A5 in the morning just to drive around with the LEDs on to pi55 off JHMEG ;)

I hate the BMW corona rings.. they are too yellow but at least the Audi lights match the intensity/colour of the xenons unlike the BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

even if the reason for its descent into the usual steaming pile of ****e is you.
    Wow, from what I can see is JHMEG has an opinion and the Audi fanboys don't like it.

MarkN wrote: »
    I'm off to order a new A5 in the morning just to drive around with the LEDs on to pi55 off JHMEG ;)
    I'll never get to see them Mark as I'm never on the Northside!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'll never get to see them Mark as I'm never on the Northside!:p

I'll find out where you live. :pac:

I do agree they are a bit flasher than your average DRLs but like anything new, people want to show it off. I certainly think they are 'cool' looking but you could argue that I don't need 19" wheels on my car and I think I'm cool looking.. As someone said earlier, where do you draw the line?

Advertisement