Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5 running lights - can they be switched off?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Play the ball, not the man , lads.

Frankly I can't see this going much further anyway. If the thread doesn't improve, I'm gonna close it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

NiSmO wrote: »
    They do? Can't say I've noticed...

I'd say it would be too much of a risk for Audi to put them on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Petands

JHMEG wrote: »
    Every A5 I've seen to date has had those LED running lights turned on. I don't like them in the R8 and I don't like them in the A5.. I share Clarkson's view that they remind me of a council house at Christmas time.

But anyway, are they the new HIDs, in that the owners simply have to turn them on as "they look cool", or are they like Volvo genuine running lights?

_Y8F4786.jpg

(Post inspired by Audi LED running lights? No thanks)

If you really care and road safety is one of your issues, then leave them on. Yup they are a bit gay i agree. But my opinion would be that everyone should have their dims (or front fogs, daytime only please) ON. Yup they can all bulls*** road safety... 51 in a 50 etc I dont pay any attention to these edjits. The real test is getting from A to B in one piece, without killing, maiming or injuring anyone incl yourself. Example, next time your behind the wheel driving directly towards a setting sun, "then you'll appreciate the ones with the dims on" Oh and it helps to be a mind reader, especially since everyone else in front never lets you know (or give a s*1t) in time what they are going to do etc etc etc. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As AudiChris and the Autocar article pointed out: when the LEDs are on, the tail lights are not. So dips would be safer. Can they therefore be seriously called DRLs?

• Advertisement

As Chris pointed out: when the LEDs are on, the tail lights aren't. Dips would be safer. Can they therefore be seriously called DRLs?

Jeysus, thats even worse. Your right. What the hell were the germans thinking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

As AudiChris and the Autocar article pointed out: when the LEDs are on, the tail lights are not. So dips would be safer. Can they therefore be seriously called DRLs?
    Saw that alright and wondered why you didn't post about it sooner. Doesn't sound too safe to me.

chewb wrote: »
    Saw that alright and wondered why you didn't post about it sooner. Doesn't sound too safe to me.

Too right. been away, computer gettin on me tits... tits....fekit i dont have any...(tits) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

I think the DRL's don't have rear lights on because it makes it harder to distinguish when the brakes are applied in sunshine.

WRT the L.E.D. DRL's, I think Audi should have left them for the more special models, such as the R8 and maybe the S5 ect..

However, I use my DRL's (ordinary bulb one's) all the time during the day, because they are supposed to give the illusion that you are closer than you actually are, therefore a car is less likely to pull out of a side road infront of you and it helps pedestrians see you coming.

I don't see the problem with some people having them on just because they think it looks good, it's up to them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

NiSmO wrote: »

http://www.audi.ie/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/a3/a3_cabriolet/ab2.Par.0221.Image.jpg

This is also the new face of the A3 after the facelift. A6 already has LEDs on the S6 & RS6.

• Advertisement

As AudiChris and the Autocar article pointed out: when the LEDs are on, the tail lights are not. So dips would be safer.

Fair point, that's why I prefer dips. the more lights the better :).
    Can they therefore be seriously called DRLs?

Seriously man, stop with this line of criticism. They're lights, they're on during the day. What more do you want?

Argue over whether you think they look good or not, but if you're
    going down the route of semantics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭chewb

People are saying that A5 LEDs=DRL and therefore are safer. Just pointing this out.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Fair point, that's why I prefer dips. the more lights the better :).

I've read that DRL's don't have the tails lit, because it can be hard to distinguish when the brakes are applied in strong sunlight on some cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Yesterday there was an A5 waiting at a side road to pull out with his LEDs on. They caught my eye and I glanced over (ie distracted me). In the split second that I did so I nearly rear ended the car in front of me.

Seems like they are an "Audi" safty feature then! :pac:

I have to say I think they do look good left on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

http://www.audi.ie/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/a3/a3_cabriolet/ab2.Par.0221.Image.jpg

This is also the new face of the A3 after the facelift. A6 already has LEDs on the S6 & RS6.

I think they would look far better if they were CCFL lights, rather than a row of LEDs.

conneem-TT wrote: »
    I've read that DRL's don't have the tails lit, because it can be hard to distinguish when the brakes are applied in strong sunlight on some cars.

That's a concern too, but I'm happy that it's worth the compromise.

@AudiChris

I do agree with you that some sort of lighting is a good idea during the day.

Yeah, I think dips on 24/7 should be made law. I guarantee it would save several lives a year, which would make it completely worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Right ...

A daytime running light is there to be seen, not to see. So it is a bright light that is focussed to shine straight ahead, so it can be seen from a distance.
    It mustn't be too bright though or else it would blind oncoming traffic.

Full headlamps are out so :D

Dipped headlights are not ideal either, as hteir light is much stronger than DRL (using more energy) but also fucussed down in front of the vehicle where most of that light dissipates during the day without any effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

From what ive heard, most new Audi models launched from now on when ordered with Xenons will get these LED daytime running lights. The only reason the A5, S6, RS6, A4 Sport and R8 have them, is that they come with Xenons as standard.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you get the LEDs paired with Xenons, but you also get halogen bulb based DRLs if you don't go for the Xenons (on the A4 anyway, I presume they'll be on the A3 & A6 facelifts) when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The DRLs come as part of the zenon lights pack which are currently standard here but are a rather expensive option on the 1.8T A5 in england.
    Every A5 owner I know has them on.

Remember, new A4 has them as an option, so shall we start the same argument all over again?

RedorDead wrote: »
    From what ive heard, most new Audi models launched from now on when ordered with Xenons will get these LED daytime running lights. The only reason the A5, S6, RS6, A4 Sport and R8 have them, is that they come with Xenons as standard.

I think the LED's are an option or come with the Xenons on the new A4, because I have seen some with LED's and some with regular small (yellowish)bulbs but in the same design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

conneem-TT wrote: »
    I think the LED's are an option or come with the Xenons on the new A4, because I have seen some with LED's and some with regular small (yellowish)bulbs but in the same design.

Xenons are standard on the A4 Sport.

You can order them as option with other A4 variants. You can only get these LED Daytime running lights with Xenons, you cant get them on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

chewb wrote: »
    Wow, from what I can see is JHMEG has an opinion and the Audi fanboys don't like it.
    +1.

Even when the OP prefaced his post by saying that he liked the A5 apart from that. Some posters in this site seem to think that the rest of us can give any opinion we like as long as it doesn't contradict their own.

I simply don't see what the big deal is about them really. I don't find them distracting like JHMEG does though.Now if they were LED headlights then there would definately be a safety benefit to them. I suppose it's a case of whatever floats your boat. I've no great time for people who have say a 316i and do it up to the nines and try and get it to look like an M3. But some people do, and I just have to live with it.

I don't believe in any of this nonsense about DRL's improving safety. They waste power and increase fuel consumption and CO2 emissions. Admittedly in the wet they make a difference, but apart from that no they certainly don't.

Advertisement