Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Auction - Claremorris

• 16-04-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hey folks,

What the story with that car auction that happens in Claremorris, think it out by an equestrian center or something.

I've no intention of buying a car there, but I do remember seeing "Da Boyz" selling loads of car seat covers, car matts, and general accessories like that at it for not a bad price.

It that a weekly/monthly thing, or what, what day does it happen? When is the next one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bankrobber1

Well,
    It’s on every Wednesday at around half 7.

It’s usually inhabited by a couple of the "boys" who givin the chance,
    Would flog you the contents of their special stash of special interest DVD’s.

It’s viewed locally as meeting place for the wannabe Del Boys of the area And the Gardai seem to keep a fair presence on the roads outside it but rarely seem to satisfy their curiosity inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

it's years since i've been there ......... still selling dodgy socks and tools?
    used to be a fair selection of "del boys" dere as well as "the boys" and dere wife and 17 kids

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

What's wrong with dellboys :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

went there a few years ago and got some dvds and the place was raided the following week, full of travellers selling dodgy bcars id be very wary of what car i buy there, usually a lot of gardai around and for a good reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

If you know what to look for you can get good cars cheap have got a few from there and they have lasted for years with no trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Went there last year. Great spot for just gawking. Yes I aggree with dcukhunter, now that the recession is biting hard, its the only place to go to pick up a bargain banger....and in fact there's some ok stuff there .. 2-3 year old cars being flogged by people who have lost their jobs etc... and just need the Johnny Cash $$$ :cool:

Obviously "caveat emptor" needs to be constantly on your mind ... at auctions of any sort ... especially car auctions. But If you don't mind hanging about for hours (until what you're after comes up ... good stuff is always seems to be sold last!!) and know your apples from your lemons... you'll walk away with a crackin bargain..

Claremorris is easily as good as the Merlin or Wilson car auctions in Dublin. (without the traffic BS ..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

.........................Claremorris is easily as good as the Merlin or Wilson car auctions in Dublin. (without the traffic BS ..)

Do the have finance repo's?! Or is it primarily private sales?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Zombie thread me thinks!

Not sure if Claremorris have Finance Repo's, haven't really seen much of them, probably Merlin/Wilson have that business wrapped up (Dublin Based Finance companies I guess)

Claremorris have mostly private stuff, and some times Semi-state sell-offs An Post, ESB, Coillte etc. (that business comes up for state tender and any Auction house can apply so Claremorris get their slice presumably!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is this auction even going on any more?

• Advertisement

Too be honest, I haven't been since last year, but as I understand it yes, it is going on every Wednesday at about 7:30pm.

They do not have a website per se but this is the closet thing to it ...

http://www.hanleysales.com/Motor_Auctions.htm

as you can see they have some kind of "special" thing on Sat 21st November too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 corneliust

ya its still goin on.great place to get car radios, speakers, power tools (propably all stolen) easy to make a deal.dont get the pellet guns though they are s**t.cars arent bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

its probaly 10 years since ive been to that auction.
    do they still have the farm machinery in the yard beside the shed?
    i remember the cars were full of filler and hand painted over the repairs ,death traps and the guys doing hand brake turns parking them after the auction.
    and the hawkers with the chinese power tools.
    there are better spots to spend your time.

Advertisement