Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map size to go in touring bike map holder

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi
    does anyone know the size of maps that go in the map holders that touring cyclists use on there handlebars? Are they all a standard size? Below is the link to an example of the type of handlebar bag / map holder I'm thinking about

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s76p4102

Thanks
    EH

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

just fold the map if possible.

if not photocopy relevant sections and stick them in the bar bag.

in europe we used local freebie tourist office maps and just tore the relevant sections out and folded them so the part we were cycling that day was lined up on the top.

where abouts are you planning on touring?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

Thanks for the reply Conor but I am designing and printing cycling trail guides + maps and want to print them off in the most user friendly size. Do you think there is any advantage in printing them in a waterproof paper or do most touring cyclists use plastic covers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Hi EH, I have a similar sort of bar bag with map holder and it will display a map sized approx 17cm x 25cm. It folds in half so unfolded that would be ~34cm x 25cm and there are two sides.

Obviously most maps will be bigger than this and need folding over but it could be a tight fit (~25cm high seems to be a standard map size) and it would be a benefit to have something just a _little_ smaller that would go in and out easier without so much foostering around.

Waterproof is definately a bonus and I would and do seek out and pay extra for this, even in sunny countries (even more so in Ireland.) Even using a plastic cover you still need to take the maps out to turn around/refold/go on to the next page etc. and they can get wrecked during this bit. Also the waterproof maps are just plain more durable and take to being folded over and back many times in a way paper just doesn't, it starts to go at the folds very quickly.

Rough Guide do maps made out of a rip-proof waterproof plastic that is thin and easy to re-fold over in different ways without damaging; also doesn't seem to add too much to the cost. This is far preferable than the Lam-Fold idea of laminating Discovery Series maps but I understand what they are working with here, they just have to deal with the original map. Problem is they end up too thick and are more difficult to fold up the way you want them (wouldn't be so much of an issue for anything but cycling as there would be no need to refold into a different shape to fit your bag.) They are also much more expensive. Probably a touch more durable overall but I would still go for the Rough Guide type.

Advertisement