Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Subaru Impreza STI

Options
  • 16-04-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

I drove one of these tonight and my god does it pack a punch, 305BHP as standard, I couldn't feed the gears quick enough, awesome power. It's a lot softer so more comfortable but doesn't hold the road quite as well as the older model.

The interior is a big step up though with 6 cd changer and steering wheel controls, then you have the Auto and Manual Diff settings and 3 different power settings. Amazing car.

http://www.subaru-global.com/08sti_exterior360.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

WOW a subaru that dosen't blow up every time you sit in it....sounds like heaven......are you sure you weren't trippin....:p

7000km and €7000 in parts.....subaru the ride of your life....literally...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lol I have a legacy that hasn't given a days trouble, 100k on the clock, they are very reliable. The guy who owns the 08 I drove tonight had a 05 Sti and he never had a problem with it. If you respect a Subaru it will be very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Villain wrote: »
    I drove one of these tonight and my god does it pack a punch, 305BHP as standard, I couldn't feed the gears quick enough, awesome power. It's a lot softer so more comfortable but doesn't hold the road quite as well as the older model.

The interior is a big step up though with 6 cd changer and steering wheel controls, then you have the Auto and Manual Diff settings and 3 different power settings. Amazing car.

http://www.subaru-global.com/08sti_exterior360.html

Nice motor but because this is a new car what will the annual tax be like? not to mention that feul is to rise even further and i can imagine how thirsty this would be.
    If only i won the lotto:(

Taxed on the old system at 2.5 cc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Villain wrote: »
    If you respect a Subaru it will be very reliable.

that's like taking Heidi Fleiss out for a drink and not even putting your hand up her skirt.....utterly pointless....

There's only one way to drive an impreza and that's like you stole it!!!:p

• Advertisement

Well then it will cost you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I'm sure it goes like stink, but I still haven't warmed to the look of this new Impreza and I don't think I ever will. It looks like a small, high-roofed hatchback from the side. The large overhang in front of the front-wheels makes the car look a bit 'stumpy' IMHO.

Bring back the '98 STi is what I say. Yeah I know, I'm living the past :)

DC.

I wasn't all that fond of the new look either but after driving one I kinda warmed to it, its a lot more spacious inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

An imprezza isnt about comfort, space or interior gadgets, its about raw power. This new one looks like a ropey toyota hatchback imo.

Well the new one still has all the power well more actually as standard but its just more comfortable and when you pay 66k for a car I think more than Raw power is wanted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Seperate wrote: »
    An imprezza isnt about comfort, space or interior gadgets, its about raw power.

Perhaps so for the STi, which is a smaller percentage of the entire range's sales, but generally incorrect. It's a saloon with 5 real places in the mid-size segment, has just as much space as another (save as to body config specific to the extra stuff for permanet 4WD instead of FWD). Comfort is just as good as another, but the ride will be firmer, for obvious reasons. Granted, interior gadgets have never been a forte - but then you buy an Impreza because you like driving, not because you want useless electronic gizmos in your car. See how many gizmos you can find in a Lancer Evo or an MX-5 (e.g.) ;)

I've had 3 so far, all of them 2.0L and 1 of them with turbo. And I've found the turbo surplus to requirement, tbh. For me at least it's never been about raw power, just about an always-pleasurable driving experience in something family-sized with a decent boot and that doesn't look like "yet another econobox". As for the new looks + increasing amount of gadgets, I hate the new looks, but I guess they all fall under Subaru's current drive to mainstream its image :(

Advertisement