Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in College

Options
  • 16-04-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I want to go back to college and study music, with a view to eventually teaching privately. currently i'm studying grade 6 with the london college of music.

can anyone recommend any good music courses that I can do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 onewoman

Hi,

If you want to do music in college, try to have Grade 7/8 in your instrument (and theory preferably) before applying.

However, if you'd really like to be a full-time private teacher of the highest standard and to be able to charge the top rates, it is far more important to have a teaching or performing diploma such as the Royal Irish Academy of Music or Associated Board qualification (I'm afraid I don't know much about LCM). So, basically, in order to get there you need to get to Grade 8 anyway, and then work on the Diploma/Licentiate/Associate qualifications.

If you are completely sure that teaching an instrument privately is what you want to do *and* you want a music degree, it is much, much better to study at a Conservatoire (such as RIAM, DIT School of Music or Cork School of Music in Ireland) rather than complete a more academic course such as can be found in TCD or UCD. Academic courses spend very little time on performance and, as a performance teacher, you'll want to know as much as possible about the world of practical musicianship.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

thank you. i'm going to try and finish those grades out in the next few years anyway. am also studying harmony as well at the moment

Advertisement